All-Star Concussion Protocol For Cheer/ Athlete Safety Committee

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The reality is that it is very hard to be the parent of a kid who doesn't want to lose his/her spot and it stinks that gyms threaten the kids with this very outcome despite the fact that concussed child can't even attend school because of how badly their brain has been injured. Kudos to the gyms that take concussions seriously. Sadly I think they are a minority in the industry.

You are so right and man have I lived that. Having a doctor who knows concussions and sports can help some as well. We had notes non stop saying no being in the gym, followed by allowed to observe only, followed by could not tumble or base, then allowed back. But your right it can be tough as a parent. The time to really be healed can leave an athlete with no spot or a minimal spot in a routine. It can be tough to balance advocating sensibility without jeopardizing your child's health or be labeled a "problem parent". Really tough.

@Mom2Cheergirls Thanks for inspiring me to find out if we have any local centers who will do a test for CP now. The last time I inquired I was told come back when she was 10, but that was 2 years ago almost, so I'm going to call around next week to see what I find. I'd rather have one done sooner rather than later, tbh.

I hope you can find one. If you message me I can tell you where we went and they may know other places in the country that are doing younger children.

The intensely interdependent dynamic that exists on cheer teams makes this harder to deal with (it's one thing when you need a teammate there to pass a ball in order to complete a play, it's another when that teammate has to lift you in the air/be lifted by you).

You are exactly right but I think all parents (the noninsured athlete parents complaining it is taking to long for Suzy to come back especially) need to understand. Do you want an athlete with slow response time due to a concussion trying to catch your flyer? I have had a doctor say to me ... I need to know not only that they aren't going to injure themselves but that they won't injure the person they are holding up. I have always agreed with that and shared that message when a coach has been frustrated with the process of recovery. I can say we have been very lucky to have many coaches that get it.

Why does that have to be on the shoulders of the USASF? They can and should have their stance, "that all concussions should be taken seriously, etc" - but other than that, once again it is on the responsibility of the coach. The usasf could provide ways for coaches to get informed and certified, but the USASF is not at your practices, they aren't at your doctor appointments, etc. Adding more to the USASF will result in higher fees for membership and for competitions, and I know that isn't what a lot of people would prefer.

USASF wishes to be the governing body of the sport of cheerleading and that means this is 100% something they need to make some clear guidelines and stances. An easy example where they made a rule that people said no one could control "image rules" (which by the way I 100% back) and have seen a massive positive change at venues in how these children mainly look. They made clear and decisive rules. At first there was push back, and then not many people following them but now there is a big difference from what I saw in years past. All that just for appearance and it made an impact. Im not saying the set penalties for concussions but so far they have not done nearly enough. They have an obligation as the governing body to make some clear and definite guidelines about concussions and make them public on their web page and educate not just their gyms, but athletes and parents. If they can make such a difference on image just think how many kids they could help protect by having a clear statement and guidelines of what gyms should be doing in this area. I'm not saying they police it but they need to be much more vocal and proactive in this area as other similar sports have.

Pop Warner Settlement: Seismic Shift In Legal Landscape Or Just A Warning Shot? | MomsTeam
direct from article: Any governing body in the youth sports industry, especially those in contact sports, should be paying attention. They need to know that if they make representations about safety or training, it better be true. And if you know of risks of playing a game, take all reasonable precautions to make sure those risks are mitigat[ed]. In a football context, that means training coaches in tackling at a minimum."

Read more: http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/sports-related-concussions-subconcussive-injuries/news-studies/pop-warner-settlement-Donnovan-Hill#ixzz4VJqpY3Lv

Back