All-Star Confessions Of A Cheermom

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L5cheermom

Cheer Parent
Mar 29, 2012
As I sit here with a cheer hangover from a weekend full of competing I have the following confessions:

I have a problem spending 12 hours with a group of people I hardly know. I simply cannot be "cheer"ful for that long; it's not in my nature. As a result I often sneak out to my car to hide and recharge.

I don't like watching my kids compete from the VIP section. I think you can see better from further back and I'm usually such a wreck that I have difficulty drumming up the obligatory enthusiasm. I'm just trying to get through the routine without passing out. It's hard to go 2:30 without taking a breath.

When watching the other teams in my kids division I don't hope that they drop a stunt or anything - seriously, but I do have a momentary sense of relief/satisfaction if they do. I do feel guilty about it though.

While I certainly hope that our teams come home with a banner, as long as MY kid's stunts and tumbling hit I consider the weekend a success. That's really all I care about.

I'm hoping that these confessions will allow me to escape the inevitability of an eternity in cheer hell and just spend some time in cheer purgatory when the time comes.

You're very similar to my mom. She hated watching my teams from up front too and would usually watch from the back to get the full picture. (That is, at the competitions she would make. All day loud, peppy and stressful events aren't really her thing so she would usually send me with friend's families)

She would also keep these little notes on the teams in my division that I didn't get to see, sloppily scribbled on the program. It would be like "2 drops, no smiles" or "1 drop, good" or something not very detailed like that. Bless her, she tried so hard. haha

You're very similar to my mom. She hated watching my teams from up front too and would usually watch from the back to get the full picture. (That is, at the competitions she would make. All day loud, peppy and stressful events aren't really her thing so she would usually send me with friend's families)

She would also keep these little notes on the teams in my division that I didn't get to see, sloppily scribbled on the program. It would be like "2 drops, no smiles" or "1 drop, good" or something not very detailed like that. Bless her, she tried so hard. haha

That's my mom, to a T.

She only took notes on teams once, but she would at least pay attention to them, asterisk the ones that she thought did well on the program or talk to me about how every one looked (even though, most of the time she would say, to be honest, you all look the same to me, because I still don't understand what I'm supposed to be looking for).

The one time she did actually take legit, decent notes was Worlds 2011. It was my last competition (I knew I was "retiring"...even though I'm in the process of going back now) and she knew it was a rough weekend for me because I didn't want to give it up. After I competed I went back to her and she had like 3 pages written about every other team in the division on the back of random papers. It made me cry because she was trying so hard to be so supportive and be that "cheer mom" for me one last time.

That's my mom, to a T.

She only took notes on teams once, but she would at least pay attention to them, asterisk the ones that she thought did well on the program or talk to me about how every one looked (even though, most of the time she would say, to be honest, you all look the same to me, because I still don't understand what I'm supposed to be looking for).

The one time she did actually take legit, decent notes was Worlds 2011. It was my last competition (I knew I was "retiring"...even though I'm in the process of going back now) and she knew it was a rough weekend for me because I didn't want to give it up. After I competed I went back to her and she had like 3 pages written about every other team in the division on the back of random papers. It made me cry because she was trying so hard to be so supportive and be that "cheer mom" for me one last time.

The funniest was when we would go out and like eat it and just perform terribly, and then I would sit with her for another team in our division who obviously kicked our butts. She would be like "ooooh, I don't know. I like yall's routine better and their girls just weren't smiling. And I don't like their uniforms. I think you guys might have beaten them.....we'll seeeee" And I'm like no mom they just wiped the floor with us hahaha.

The funniest was when we would go out and like eat it and just perform terribly, and then I would sit with her for another team in our division who obviously kicked our butts. She would be like "ooooh, I don't know. I like yall's routine better and their girls just weren't smiling. And I don't like their uniforms. I think you guys might have beaten them.....we'll seeeee" And I'm like no mom they just wiped the floor with us hahaha.

Haha! Yes! I don't remember why I have such a vivid memory of this, because it wasn't anything special, but one competition, my friend and I went up to my mom after we competed because she video taped us, and my friend was watching the tape, and she's like "oh that looks like crap, dude that was terrible, we look like sh*t"...and my mom was like "No!! You guys all looked good and like you were having fun! I think you guys can win!"

Back