High School Confessions Of A High School Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm not a school cheerleader, I do Allstars but I love pep rally's and I know a lot about school cheer so here I go.

Don't worry about your hair and makeup during games or rally's. you're there to pump up the crowd and players, your makeup can wait.( allstar is very guilty of this too)

If you act like you're better than everyone just because you're a cheerleader, I'll hate you. (Allstar is also guilty of this one)

Don't forget your routine! Ugh! I hate that! You guys practice everyday, you should have the routine down.

Bad uniforms! Ugh! I hate them! There's a lot of schools here with cute uniforms.but some I'm just like, what were you thinking?!

I'm not a school cheerleader, I do Allstars but I love pep rally's and I know a lot about school cheer so here I go.

Don't worry about your hair and makeup during games or rally's. you're there to pump up the crowd and players, your makeup can wait.( allstar is very guilty of this too)

If you act like you're better than everyone just because you're a cheerleader, I'll hate you. (Allstar is also guilty of this one)

Don't forget your routine! Ugh! I hate that! You guys practice everyday, you should have the routine down.

Bad uniforms! Ugh! I hate them! There's a lot of schools here with cute uniforms.but some I'm just like, what were you thinking?!

1.) Agreed, especially with football cheerleaders. It's probably going to rain and destroy your hair anyways. Don't worry, y'all still look cute :)
2.) THANK YOU. And thanks for recognizing that this is a problem in both types of cheer.
3.) Yeahhh. I get one or two mistakes, but completely blanking out or BS-ing a routine you've been working on for weeks? Not okay.
4.) YESSS. I honestly feel sorry for schools that get really ugly uniforms. Like, I want to step in and find a way to get that school cute uniforms. Especially pleated skirts. Those are the worst.

9) This is a Michigan one but I had to let it out. If you have 16 people on your team and you put 4 on the mat in round 2, I'm going to judge you. Stop doing tucks, keep doing your cartwheels and round offs and I'll respect you.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
Oh my God thank you for saying this. THAT IS CHEATING whether it is legal or not. They set the round 2 at a special number for a reason. My team had all six girls on the mat (div. 4) throwing back hadsprings. I will always believe the reason we didn't make it through to districts this year because SO MANY teams took the penalty to put 4 back handsprings/whatever in. Not fair at all. I think teams that do this need to be penalized as if there is an athlete on the mat not throwing the skill. Or, better yet not be able to do it at all. Biggest pet peeve ever

1.) Agreed, especially with football cheerleaders. It's probably going to rain and destroy your hair anyways. Don't worry, y'all still look cute :)
2.) THANK YOU. And thanks for recognizing that this is a problem in both types of cheer.
3.) Yeahhh. I get one or two mistakes, but completely blanking out or BS-ing a routine you've been working on for weeks? Not okay.
4.) YESSS. I honestly feel sorry for schools that get really ugly uniforms. Like, I want to step in and find a way to get that school cute uniforms. Especially pleated skirts. Those are the worst.

Pleated skirts are the worst!!! I remember when those were big in allstar!

Pleated skirts are the worst!!! I remember when those were big in allstar!

I didn't know All-Star ever had pleated skirts...
They're fine for little girls because they're loose and usually longer (therefore more modest). But on older girls, they make their hips and butt look bigger and wider than they really are, which is especially unflattering on girls who are already hip-y and/or bootylicious.

I didn't know All-Star ever had pleated skirts...
They're fine for little girls because they're loose and usually longer (therefore more modest). But on older girls, they make their hips and butt look bigger and wider than they really are, which is especially unflattering on girls who are already hip-y and/or bootylicious.

Yeah, they were pretty popular around 06-07. My 2nd year of cheer, thank god my team didn't get them. But a lot of teams around here had them,

More confessions.
If you have a Dorito scorpion in judging you, I'm not expecting you to have a straight leg or anything, just not a dorito.

I will destroy you if you bend your knees/ drop your chest/ flex your feet in your jumps.( allstar is sometimes guilty of this)

If you purposely get a uniform a size smaller so it'll be tighter/ shorter, I'm judging you. (Allstar is also guilty of this one)

If you don't wear your cheer shoes with your uniform just quit.

If you have tumbling, I'm expecting you to tumble. And if I see you out on the grass showing off and tumbling and you don't do anything near that in the routin I will hurt you.

FIX YOUR HIGH VS OMG.

I think that's it for now....

When you're a back spot and no one recognizes you as a "key role" or "hard worker" in a stunt.

1. I feel as if I get no credit in the stunts when most of the time if my flyer is beginning to come down, I push her back up there, I've saved my stunt from falling numerous times.

2. I swear I think some people think that all back spots do is stand back there and hold the flyers ankle. Um that's obviously not true. I push my flyer up and make sure she keeps her leg locked. If she begins to fall I attempt to push her back up. And I actually lift up so I can help my bases as much as I can. My bases tell me that they can feel when I lift up and it's practically like they're holding nothing.

3. If back spots weren't there to catch the flyers they would land on their face/back/head A LOT! I know in my group that if I wasn't there to catch my flyer she would go straight to the floor bc one of my bases cannot catch at all! And I've saved my flyer from falling a thousand times and I've even went down with her a couple times bc my bases failed to help catch the load.

4. When other back spots don't feel important.. Like obviously you are!! Fight for that stunt, push it up and hold your flyer tight, make her feel like you got her and you WILL catch her!! And help the bases push it up and hold it up.ALWAYS catch your flyer and go down with her if needed. If the flyer doesn't trust her group then she's not gonna do her best, so you have to do your best to make her feel comfortable and safe!!

Okay, I'm done.

Amen

Oh my god. This. There was a team that started out the season with 12 girls in round two and a walkover, cartwheel, and round off. That went to 8 girls with a BHS, walkover, and round off. By districts it was 4 with tucks, BHS, and walkover. Really? Is that the best way to do it? I'm not judging them for taking the penalty, I'm judging them for abusing it. My coach took 4 girls out of round 2 because their mental blocks were so bad that they were having breakdowns in warm up. It was only for 2 small competitions that we didn't even win. By districts, all 4 girls were back and sticking their tucks. We took the penalty too, but didn't abuse it as bad as some teams do.

What division are you in? And I can totally understand doing it for small competitions, we went in with five girls once because of an injury. But purposely doing it for districts, regionals, and states is ridiculous.

What division are you in? And I can totally understand doing it for small competitions, we went in with five girls once because of an injury. But purposely doing it for districts, regionals, and states is ridiculous.
D1 last year, but we're D2 this year. And yeah I totally agree! Did you hear about the possible rule change where if you don't have enough in round 2 you can only have that many in the other rounds. So if you put 4 in round 2 you can only have 4 in all the others. I'd actually be a really big fan of that.

D1 last year, but we're D2 this year. And yeah I totally agree! Did you hear about the possible rule change where if you don't have enough in round 2 you can only have that many in the other rounds. So if you put 4 in round 2 you can only have 4 in all the others. I'd actually be a really big fan of that.

Really? Wow, I haven't heard about that

I hate it when a flyer complains because she might get hurt when coming out of a stunt. (Like if she hurts her face or head or her back, or if one of the bases might accidentally hit her while trying to catch)

Like STOP! Just STOP! At least we're actually catching you and you're not smacking your face off the hard gym floor! And I'm sure bases have way more bruises from catching than the flyer does.

1.) Mindi Keyser has AMAZING hair.
2.) I hate how scared I get catching a flyer or holding up a new stunt. I wish I didn't have this fear. Please forgive me and don't get mad at me. She didn't hit the ground.
3.) I hate how nervous I get every time I base a stunt, even just a prep. Even though I have nailed my basics, I still feel insecure about it because of how much I got yelled at and how many people I frustrated last year.
4.) Unless something TOTALLY unacceptable is happening and people are definitely being apathetic, it's NEVER okay to treat your teammates so poorly. Being positive isn't something you just show with your peers and on the sidelines, it's something you have to be with your teammates, too. Even during the "dark days of competition" practices.

I can't stand when people say flyers have the easiest job. No one really has an easy job in a stunt. They are all key to the success of the stunt.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board
Agreed. I was a flyer in all my years of cheer, and last year I started basing. I'd say both are equally difficult, and flying was actually harder at times

Back