High School Confessions Of A High School Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheered in high school and now in college, these still apply...

- I hate it when people don't learn the cheers. They're not that hard and I don't want to spend all of practice time going over them when we could be doing way more productive things.

- It annoys me so much when refs will tell us to be careful. Like no, I just thought I'd stand here and get tackled by a 6'4" dude running full speed at me.

- I try so hard to be diplomatic and like everyone and not talk trash to friends, but when you fall in a simple stunt, especially in front of people, I get freaking PISSED.

- In high school, other girls on the team to make fun of our old coach because she kept envisioning us to be all-star-esque and gave us dumb choreography, but I liked her better than my other high school coach and we still keep in touch, even four years later.

- I cannot stand not being pushed. I quit my senior year because everyone was so complacent and didn't want to try for more than an extension.

- I get irritated when people don't wear the right practice outfit, and more irritated when the coach doesn't enforce it. Like, we bought the clothes so we might as well wear them! Plus, it looks super cool and professional when everyone is matching.

- I yell at my team to be sharp, clean, and tight. We do not want to look like a hot mess, especially after seeing some ratchet looking teams...

- If you hold a sign upside-down, you are automatically an idiot to me.

- I don't understand when people call cheers during plays in football. Hello, do them right after the whistle when they're getting up and the crowd isn't watching them. Most people go to watch the game and they're gonna watch the play instead of us. It's 1000000x more effective to get people to cheer with you.

- I justify taking naps between classes so I'm well rested for practice.
And that's all for now...

-During cheering for football, girls on my team will yell up to the crowd to ask them if its offence or defense. Seriously, that is so unprofessional, and why the heck dont you know the difference between the two.

-If we are going to stunt during a game, dont argue with the coach, and tell her you want to fly when you never have before.

-When she lets you fly and then you cant get up into a prep, I am mentally slapping you because you make us look really bad.

Well we used to get e-mails of what was happening, what we were wearing, literally everything that you needed to know.
- If you have time to send a text, you have time to read an e-mail. When I was a captain, girls used to always text me 30 minutes before the game, "uhm what bow are we wearing? oh, that one? i got the wrong bloomers can you bring one of your extras?" NO. I am NOT your mother, father, big sister, babysitter, or butt-wiper.

- If you're on a varsity cheerleading team, your mommy should NOT be packing your cheer bag and laying out your uniform. You had plenty of time before you went to bed to do it yourself. If you do not have something/wore the wrong thing, I will laugh at you... #sorrynotsorry

And I'm sure I'll think of more :p

-I hate that my coach let's the seniors run practice. You're getting paid for this. Why don't you actually do something besides sit on your butt?
-Im the only one on my team that misses my old coach. She was hard on us but we actually looked good at games.
-DON'T MAKE RULES IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ENFORCE THEM/ ONLY ENFORCE THEM ON CERTAIN GIRLS.
-I have no sympathy if you didn't learn your cheers and I think you should sit out every game until you can do every cheer by yourself without messing up. Not sorry. Letting you cheer makes us look bad and makes you think not knowing your cheers is okay.
-Evryone needs to wear their bow facing the same way. It drives me absolutely INSANE.
-I miss my old coach because we conditioned at practice and actually stunted and tumbled. Now we work on cheers.
-don't laugh when you mess up.
-if you can tumble I expect you to tumble at games. Don't stand on the sideline. It frustrates me to no end when the same people tumble every single timeout.

-if you can tumble I expect you to tumble at games. Don't stand on the sideline. It frustrates me to no end when the same people tumble every single timeout.

We had people some years that would get tired during the game and only had ehhh tumbling so during they timeouts they'd be like leah, so and so (insert other good tumblers names here) go tumble, and they would just stand there watch and be lazy... everyone could tumble but half of the people would just stand there, seriously.. at least throw a ROBH...

Don't tell me I'm being bossy when you don't remember your choreography and I do. If you don't want an underclassmen to boss you around, pull your own weight.
I hate the "seniors in the front, seniors this, seniors that" rule. Like sorry, if they suck at dancing and are in the front, I'm going to be annoyed.
Seniors getting put on the team (which has a "mandatory backhandspring") without tumbling JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE SENIORS! That's not putting together the best team possible.
I'm not going to yell or smile at practice. But I do it at games, so don't yell at me for not doing it. I have pictures to prove it.
If your poms are in the wrong hands, I'm the one yelling at you in the middle of the cheer. I'd rather that than you look stupid when we say green and you hold up a gold pom. Like NO.
I whine about conditioning but I hate when we don't condition, because we need it!
I wish people worked harder. A lot of these girls are ex-gymnasts who tried out for cheer and they think hitting an extended lib is good. If you're satisfied with an extended lib, that's why we didn't win state. That's not as amazing as you think it is. And once they hit it they stop trying and it's SO aggravating. I want to try new stunts!
I hate when we don't stunt at practice. And I hate when we tumble. It's hard on my ankles and elbows when I tumble on hard floor, so I try to only do it at games/comps. But some people want to do tumbling progressions at every. single. practice.

We had people some years that would get tired during the game and only had ehhh tumbling so during they timeouts they'd be like leah, so and so (insert other good tumblers names here) go tumble, and they would just stand there watch and be lazy... everyone could tumble but half of the people would just stand there, seriously.. at least throw a ROBH...
I feel you... You had to have tumbling to make the team. THROW IT OR GTFO. but really. That's how I feel at every.single.game. I'll never understand why the girls with fulls refuse to tumble, and the girls with just robhs tumble every single time out.
I'm hurt right now, but when I wasn't I had to tumble every time out even with extreme back pain and after my coach yelled at me for not tumbling and threatened to kick me off the team if I didn't, I turned around and was like "All of them can tumble and aren't, why am I being punished if I tumble every single time?" She didn't understand. Made me tumble even though I was hurting. And now I'm out for the rest of the season. I talked to the administrator and he said he would talk to her about it... She denied it and there was no one around to see her telling me to. I think she realized I couldn't when I threw a back handspring and collapsed in the middle of the court and couldn't get up. Don't you just love high school cheerleading and coaches that don't know anything about it... :rolleyes:

I feel you... You had to have tumbling to make the team. THROW IT OR GTFO. but really. That's how I feel at every.single.game. I'll never understand why the girls with fulls refuse to tumble, and the girls with just robhs tumble every single time out.
I'm hurt right now, but when I wasn't I had to tumble every time out even with extreme back pain and after my coach yelled at me for not tumbling and threatened to kick me off the team if I didn't, I turned around and was like "All of them can tumble and aren't, why am I being punished if I tumble every single time?" She didn't understand. Made me tumble even though I was hurting. And now I'm out for the rest of the season. I talked to the administrator and he said he would talk to her about it... She denied it and there was no one around to see her telling me to. I think she realized I couldn't when I threw a back handspring and collapsed in the middle of the court and couldn't get up. Don't you just love high school cheerleading and coaches that don't know anything about it... :rolleyes:

YES!

i dont take school football or basketball games seriously at all. competition is all that seems relevant. #confessionsofahscheerleader

Okay, these are things that bugged the crap out of me in a what not to do list:
-Do not, I repeat DO NOT wear your warm up jacket everyday to school. It's a warm up jacket. Not an everyday jacket.
-Don't wear Ugg boots, sandals or heels with your uniform when you have to wear them to school. Cheer shoes only.
-Don't text me everyday asking what practice outfit we have to wear today, especially when I'm not the captain. There is a calendar, use it.
-Don't expect me to give you sympathy when you fake injuries. I won't do it.
-Awww, you forgot your warm up jacket and its freezing out and now nobody gets to wear theirs? I hate you.

-I may or may not have been one of my coaches favorites. I don't apologize.
-I stalked every team in my prelim for nationals to know if we had a good shot of moving on. I mean hardcore stalked. Like real hardcore.

Back