High School Confessions Of A High School Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ever since Ive done college cheer, I really hate the way high school cheerleaders rally. Like, the diagonal wave/jazz hands/spirit fingers thing with one hip cocked out, with one foot forward deal.
Hate it. With a passion. Especially when I see it in college tryout videos. Perhaps my biggest pet peeve of high school cheer.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I HATE the when people spirit (aka rally, never heard it called that before) diagonally. It looks little kid-ish, or when they spirit in a T. That looks so awkward to me. One time I saw a girl spirit by starting in a low V and then slowly raising her hands up to a high V. So weird and did not look college-y at all. Middle school? Maybe.

Oh, and my other favorite thing is when your in a pyramid or whatever and you don't have poms so you're waving and people in the crowd wave back. Always makes me laugh

I HATE the when people spirit (aka rally, never heard it called that before) diagonally. It looks little kid-ish, or when they spirit in a T. That looks so awkward to me. One time I saw a girl spirit by starting in a low V and then slowly raising her hands up to a high V. So weird and did not look college-y at all. Middle school? Maybe.

Oh, and my other favorite thing is when your in a pyramid or whatever and you don't have poms so you're waving and people in the crowd wave back. Always makes me laugh

At one of our team car wash fundraisers, I was in a stunt (prep) with a sign advertising the car wash. We tossed the sign down to "spirit" a little before bumping down. Some people in cars started waving at me thinking I was waving at them.

This basically sums up my high school cheer:
- No you cannot go to the bathroom during a cheer!
- No eating!!!
- Stop talking bad about your teammates behind their back!
- CATCH HER!
- Stop crying you just want attention.
-Water breaks are not for running off and kissing your boyfriend.
- Dont pick out the smallest skirt if you're the biggest girl
The last one yes! People always take a size too small, and then when the girl who is actually that size needs it they are hopeless.

I hate when girls just wave, that's not spiriting (btw, we call it sparkling cause every cheerleader likes to SPARKLE). My girls have such a difficult time getting over sparkling/spiriting. They all say "I feel stupid" I never looked at it that way growing up as a cheerleader. As far as poms, I like them for some stuff. We use them for school song and usually at least 1 cheer each year, but my girls either love them or hate them. Some teams we play use them on the sidelines the whole time, talk about sweaty hands.

-IF YOUR SKIRT IS TOO SHORT I EXPECT YOU TO GET A NEW SKIRT. We rent them. Dont get it hemmed to show everything. I don't want to see your butt and I WILL tell you to pull it down and if it won't go down I will go to the cheer closet and get you a new one. I would rather it be too big than see your butt. Not sorry.
-I feel like high school cheer this season has been a waste of my time. We hardly do stunts, we don't tumble, and at practice we only do cheers. It's boring and I haven't learned anything.
-I hate basketball season.
... I'll probably think of more. But that's all for now.
Ugh. Basketball season. Just no.

I hate when girls just wave, that's not spiriting (btw, we call it sparkling cause every cheerleader likes to SPARKLE). My girls have such a difficult time getting over sparkling/spiriting. They all say "I feel stupid" I never looked at it that way growing up as a cheerleader. As far as poms, I like them for some stuff. We use them for school song and usually at least 1 cheer each year, but my girls either love them or hate them. Some teams we play use them on the sidelines the whole time, talk about sweaty hands.
As someone who uses poms the whole game... Sweaty hands is right! And they're itchy... And you can't very well sneak your hands into your pockets when it's freezing outside...

-I hate it if your at a game and you can't hear the cheerleaders because if you can't hear them what's the point?
-No cheerleader should ever wear the skirt over the warm up pants.. EVER
-It annoys me when my team or another team looks bored or annoyed during the games, your supposed to be pumped up! If you didn't want to go to the games you shouldn't have tried out.

- stay fierce

Ummm...our school cheerleaders do that all the time. Our middle school requires that the cheerleaders where their warm-up pants under their skirts to be in dress code. Our high school cheerleaders where the pants under the skirts because it gets really cold during football season. I am not sure what they are suppose to wear when it's cold.

Ummm...our school cheerleaders do that all the time. Our middle school requires that the cheerleaders where their warm-up pants under their skirts to be in dress code. Our high school cheerleaders where the pants under the skirts because it gets really cold during football season. I am not sure what they are suppose to wear when it's cold.
if its cold just wear the pants and not the skirt. wearing the pants under the skirt is the most horrendous thing i've ever seen.

You clearly have never cheered when it is 20 degrees outside... Friday nights in November and sometimes even December are BRUTAL in NJ. I am getting the chills thinking about it...

if its cold just wear the pants and not the skirt. wearing the pants under the skirt is the most horrendous thing i've ever seen.

Most uniforms (especially Varsity ones) are not made so that the pants are :

a) not flattering to wear without a skirt
b) the tops are not long enough to cover the midriff area

photo.php
These were my senior year warm ups. I live in MI so it gets pretty cold. We wore sweats & leggings underneath the pants. I always wait sweatshirts over my bodysuit and shell but under the jacket. Sometimes I'd add a scarf.

We never wore our skirts over them because that just looks awkward. I don't think the warmups were too unflattering, they kinda look like garbage bags lol but they kept us warm, so I was okay with it.

I hate skirts with pants under them. At school we just wore our skirts, even in freezing cold WI winters. Wear the pants and take them off when you get inside. Otherwise we'd do jeans and a team shirt or sweatshirt for game days. Also can't stand skirts over pants at game. It just feels weird to me, like extra restricting and I always thought it looked like you forgot to take something off lol.

Also if anyone needs any tips for cheering in the cold and staying warm then let me know! I have a bunch after cheering in below zero games!

Back