High School Confessions Of A High School Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Coming from a girl who cheered in high school, spent two years as captain, and is in my fourth year of coaching, I have a lot of confessions!

- Do not EVER wear any shoes other than your CHEER shoes with your uniform. Ever. Don't.
- The other coach & I send detailed emails letting parents & cheerleaders know EVERYTHING they need to know weeks in advance, as well as reminders. You have a cheer calendar. Do not text me 4 minutes before the meet time and ask where to meet or what we're wearing.
- "On time" means 15 minutes early. You do not want to know what my conditioning is when girls are late.
- My favorite line is "I'm not asking, I'm telling." If I tell you to get in football lines, your first formation for the dance, or line up for jumps, etc... YOU DO IT.
- DO NOT SOCIALIZE DURING FOOTBALL GAMES.
- Y'all better have your hair the same & have your bows facing the same way.
- "I didn't know" No. You will always know beforehand. Not an excuse.
- When I ask who needs me to do their hair/make up for the game at Thursday night's practice, you need to tell me then. Do not text me 15 minutes before we're supposed to meet or show up with another girl and expect me to have time to do your make up & hair!
- For goodness' sake eat something before the game so you don't pass out.
- Don't complain about your spot. There is no seniority in formations, it's based on talent & skill.
- There are no excuses for not knowing the cheers. Even if you missed practice, all the cheers are on the group facebook page. Learn 'em.

I'll probably come up with more, but clearly I'm a no excuses kind of coach haha. In my defense, I love my girls and we have a lot of fun! They are very good with knowing when it's time to work and when we can goof off. We've really created a great balance of hard work and discipline as well as having fun and making great memories - that's what it's all about!

Coming from a girl who cheered in high school, spent two years as captain, and is in my fourth year of coaching, I have a lot of confessions!

I'll probably come up with more, but clearly I'm a no excuses kind of coach haha. In my defense, I love my girls and we have a lot of fun! They are very good with knowing when it's time to work and when we can goof off. We've really created a great balance of hard work and discipline as well as having fun and making great memories - that's what it's all about!

If I ever move out to Cali, I would totally want to coach with you! This is exactly how I was taught and coached as a high schooler and how I feel they should be coached. :chestbump:

0riginal haha awhh thank you!! I had some great coaches in HS and also some awful ones, and the coach I work with now has taught me so much. I've had discipline problems because I started assistant coaching at 17, I was coaching girls who I was on cheer with as a sophomore before I transferred to public school. But despite the drama and the cattiness of super small Catholic high school girls, I love coaching and wouldn't give it up for anything!

Ugly practice wear. Like I just paid how much for this, and I'm going to dread having to wear it? Not cool.
People not wearing the practice wear and not getting in trouble.
People who stand around talking after school instead of changing for practice.

This year, the coaching staff changed completely and I was livid.
The coaches were lazy, rude to the parents, and mean. They didn't pay any attention to JV or freshmen and our competition teams didn't get music until the practice before our first comp. They completely jacked the program and our teams lost respect for it. After this season, I decided I'm just not doing school cheer again because the previous coaches knew how to treat us as athletes and how to win.

Ugly practice wear. Like I just paid how much for this, and I'm going to dread having to wear it? Not cool.
This is why I designed most our apparel. I refused to go to Florida for nationals in ugly shirts and stuff. And have ugly shirts for practice or team shirts/sweatshirts.
I admit, I occasionally "couldn't" find some of the ugly apparel we had (not designed by me) so I didn't have to wear it.... Opps.

This is why I designed most our apparel. I refused to go to Florida for nationals in ugly shirts and stuff. And have ugly shirts for practice or team shirts/sweatshirts.
I admit, I occasionally "couldn't" find some of the ugly apparel we had (not designed by me) so I didn't have to wear it.... Opps.
We have this t shirt that's the WORST material (idk what it is) and it has our school name embroidered in giant letters (which makes it sit awkwardly) and it's "womens fit" So everyone has like a 2XL because the sizing is screwed up, and it's GREEN. And the material like holds the sweat. And it's our practice wear for competition. Sorry but if I'm doing our routine full out a million times, I'm going to sweat, and this shirt shows it like no other. One drop of sweat and it's a whole different color. IT'S AWFULLLLL. And it's not even cute, because it fits awkwardly and is just so hot. Sometimes it's "dirty" on the day we're supposed to wear it... shhhh ;)

Sorry but if I'm doing our routine full out a million times, I'm going to sweat, and this shirt shows it like no other. One drop of sweat and it's a whole different color. IT'S AWFULLLLL.
Oh I hate that!!! That's why my light gray practice shirt was always "missing"

-I hate cheering at games, but I always try-out and was even captain this year
- I love football and want to watch from the stands because the football players block all of the action and I want to see the game
- I will tell you to be quiet during the game so don't act like you're surprised

I thought of more....
- I judge teams that use front spots on the sidelines, especially for just fulls and halfs. Those people could be doing motions in the front. Not effective crowdleading at all!

- I hate the stupid high school spiriting, especially the diagonal wave. Collegiate cheerleaders do it so much better.

- I can't stand it when cheers are yelled at like 250 words a minute. (Sorry NCA teams, I'm looking at you.) I have no clue what they're saying!

- If you hold your poms in the wrong hand you are also an idiot to me.

And I'm not trying to be mean, but Jj:* what is with the hashtags? This isn't twitter.

wow. Im sorry I didn't even think about it, I'm obviously addicted to twitt. I'll remember now!

- Know the difference between offense and defense, seriously.
- Don't try to act like those cheerleaders from the movies. I mean come on...
-Don't try to act dumb. Being dumb is not the same thing as being peppy.

I actually love cheering for basketball LOL.

- Know the difference between offense and defense, seriously.
- Don't try to act like those cheerleaders from the movies. I mean come on...
-Don't try to act dumb. Being dumb is not the same thing as being peppy.

I actually love cheering for basketball LOL.
Awkward.... Big confession here:

When I cheered at my first high school football game, I yelled "HOME RUN!!!" when we scored a touch down......

Embarrassing. True story.

Back