Connected One Arm Cartwheels In Level 1

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 19, 2013
Hello!

I have a few mini level one kids dying to do one-arm cartwheels in their routines... I know that they are illegal in level one but then I saw partner ones in this routine:

Does this attachment make them legal?

I think is illegal because:
Tumbling L1 Rule. Skills must involve constant physical contact with the performing surface. Tumbling skills must involve hand support with both hands when passing through the inverted position.
Stunts L1 Rule, J-Inversions are not allowed.
Clarification: All inverted athletes must maintain contact with the performance surface (see
tumbling L1 rules
).

I think is illegal because:
Tumbling L1 Rule. Skills must involve constant physical contact with the performing surface. Tumbling skills must involve hand support with both hands when passing through the inverted position.
Stunts L1 Rule, J-Inversions are not allowed.
Clarification: All inverted athletes must maintain contact with the performance surface (see
tumbling L1 rules
).
So I was thinking about this one, and although I agree that the one arm cartwheels probably violate what I think the intent of the rules is, I am not so sure that they violate the letter of them. To whit:
- BOTH hands are supported in the connected one arm cartwheels. One is supported by the performance surface, one is supported by another athlete. There is hand support with both hands.
- Inverted athletes maintain contact with the performance surface.

USASF could issue a clarification that hand support with both hands when passing through the inverted position must be maintained on the performance surface. Right now, though, I think you would have an argument that it could be ruled as legal. I wouldn't test it at a competition first - I'd email USASF with a video for clarification well in advance.

Good point. I get stuck on the idea that kids have to put both hands on the floor to protect their heads (just for safety reasons), also says some key words to me like maintain contact with the performing surface + support with both hands so I´m not sure if support on another person can be applied, but like I say before, never saw it from that perspective.

hmm.. yes SarahS just what I was thinking....seems as though there could be a loophole of sorts... probably is illegal though but worth asking still I think just in case :)

Back