All-Star Controversial Topics From 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

*comes back from Chick-fil-a after a break from this thread but trying to understand this just hurts too much and goes to Burger King instead*

Has it been confirmed that they are off the team permanently? I was just wondering becasue one of the girls still has the team name in her bio.

Has it been confirmed that they are off the team permanently? I was just wondering becasue one of the girls still has the team name in her bio.
I haven't heard anything confirmed but looking at the ones twitter and tweets about being done cheer, I'm gonna get they're probably off the team

I haven't heard anything confirmed but looking at the ones twitter and tweets about being done cheer, I'm gonna get they're probably off the team
Just found the account. Sucks for the rest of the team but I am sure whoever they pulled to take the spots will be great. I just hope this doesn't affect their chances at worlds too much

Real controversial issue that needs addressed:

Owners and coaches physically and emotionally abusing kids with no consequences.

USAG just opened an investigation into abuse complaints (physical and otherwise) from several member gyms dating back 5-10 years.

Imagine if USASF took a stand on that, and parents stopped just "looking the other way?"

Last edited:
Real controversial issue that needs addressed:

Owners and coaches physically and emotionally abusing kids with no consequences.

USAG just opened an investigation into abuse complaints (physical and otherwise) from several member gyms dating back 5-10 years.

Imagine if USASF took a stand on that, and parents stopped just "looking the other way?"
Could you expound upon this (if you want to take it to PM, that's fine)? I know that abuse is an issue but I didn't realize how widespread it is.

Could you expound upon this (if you want to take it to PM, that's fine)? I know that abuse is an issue but I didn't realize how widespread it is.

You can google USAG and "abuse complaints news" and the article comes up. Basically USAG is opening up a large scale investigation into hundreds of abuse complaints from member gyms dating back to the 90s.

Oddly enough, very few major news outlets have picked up on it outside of the gym community.

You can google USAG and "abuse complaints news" and the article comes up. Basically USAG is opening up a large scale investigation into hundreds of abuse complaints from member gyms dating back to the 90s.

Oddly enough, very few major news outlets have picked up on it outside of the gym community.
Just realized you had typed USAG and not USASF. I've totally heard about the USAG abuse issues (especially their deliberate ignorance of them). It's horrifying.

In our state not only are teams dropping down a level (or 2) at the end of the season for a bid, but gyms are creating sandbagged teams from the beginning of the season. For example, level 2 teams are filled with kids who are also on levels 3, 4, and 5. This way each kid gets to compete on a higher level AND win every competition and be garunteed a bid on the lower level. If/when the higher level team earns a bid, the teams are rearranged so that all athletes are within the one level range required by the Summit. If the higher level team does not earn a bid, no problem, everyone on those teams is going to the Summit on a level 1 or 2.

Varsity needs to implement rules that eliminate both types of sandbagging.

This is exactly the problem I have seen as well. The teams can be changed enough to fit the rules, just about everyone gets to Summit and everyone in the gym is happy. I don't see how it can change much without being harmful to programs that are in need of the crossovers to have enough level appropriate teams for athletes. I don't have a problem with it when we are talking about competing within one level above or below. If the teams start out at a level and stay within that level it doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem. There are a few gyms I have seen that know how to work this scenario you mention perfectly.

Latest posts

Back