Corkscrew And Waterfall

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 4, 2013
Our stunt team is ready to try the corkscrew and waterfall and I think I have it figured out enough for the coaches to try it (we do this before we give ti to the girls).... But I'm hoping someone with more experience with these two can explain the bases grips...

I'm not sure what you mean by corkscrew, but for waterfall do you mean a pancake? Where the flyer basically just folds in half and the bases catch her back?

If you're talking about a corkscrew as a reverse 360 from the top, we just have the side base turn her hand so her fingers are facing behind her. Then we just give a little pop like a sponge and catch in a load in

I'm not sure what you mean by corkscrew, but for waterfall do you mean a pancake? Where the flyer basically just folds in half and the bases catch her back?

Thanks :) Yes I meant pancake. I think the two bases release their outside (towards judges) hand leaving backspot on ankles with most of the weight... I'm wondering when they release that outside hand (before or after the dip) and when they follow up with the right hand (before or after the flyer folds)

Thanks :) Yes I meant pancake. I think the two bases release their outside (towards judges) hand leaving backspot on ankles with most of the weight... I'm wondering when they release that outside hand (before or after the dip) and when they follow up with the right hand (before or after the flyer folds)
I don't know if some people do it differently, but when I based them it was exactly like a cradle. Dipping and immediately popping and letting go with both hands and then catching just like a cradle and backspot holding on to ankles.
For the corkscrew it's just the reverse of a full up, the main base starts with how the hands would finish in a full up with the right hand turned so fingers face out away from flyer and then it just unwinds with the other base and back letting go.

Thanks :) When you say fingers away from the flyer do you mean facing towards yourself (like setting for a full up)?

also, if flyers maintain their grip on their own ankles while folding all the way through to where ankles are horizontal during the catch- it is much, much easier for them to make this look flawless. If they let go early, they tend to fall through the bases' arms due to the lack of tightness, pressure on the bases' catching arms and wanting to open up. Hold tight in a great pike, they got it. Give counts for one leg, second leg or variation both legs - they tend to hold on to ankles until that count.

Just want to say thank u all for ur help :) the girls learned the pancake today in like 10 minutes and it looks beautiful! They cannot however get the hang of the corkscrew...
Which part of the corkscrew are they having trouble with?

Which part of the corkscrew are they having trouble with?
the main base seems to be struggling with figuring out how to unwind the grip to the bottom and the flyer is struggling with the turn... weird because they got the 360 heel stretch in a matter of minutes.

the main base seems to be struggling with figuring out how to unwind the grip to the bottom and the flyer is struggling with the turn... weird because they got the 360 heel stretch in a matter of minutes.
Have the main base literally stand in front of the stunt with the grip, then have return to her normal position while unwinding.

Back