All-Star Costs Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are a lot of seasonal businesses that find a way to survive and succeed. The cheer gym that finds a way to allow their athletes to "rest" for 30-60 days will be incredibly successful IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to a gym that told me "these are our numbers after try-outs but there are always some girls who take the summer off and join in August." Their fundraising is very successful and probably offsets the loss of tuition in June/July. This is not a big name gym but they placed well in the comps they attended. So overall, a successful gym.

I talked to a gym that told me "these are our numbers after try-outs but there are always some girls who take the summer off and join in August." Their fundraising is very successful and probably offsets the loss of tuition in June/July. This is not a big name gym but they placed well in the comps they attended. So overall, a successful gym.

But doing it that way creates resentment among the families that don't take time off because the gym isn't designing it that way.

But doing it that way creates resentment among the families that don't take time off because the gym isn't designing it that way.

Sorry, my mistake in saying tuition for June and July. I meant the loss of income in the form of tumbling classes and camps.

This isn't our current gym so I don't know all the details. But they advertise 10 months of tuition. They run many tumbling camps and classes through the summer so I think that technically the season doesn't start until August. Choreography is in August. So they "lose" girls over the summer who don't take additional tumbling classes, who return when the season officially starts.

I agree that if you are at a 12 month gym, then taking time off and returning in August when everyone else is working and paying through the summer causes resentment. I know families who send their kids to 8 weeks of sleepaway camp who don't sign contracts until the end of August. That bothers me.

nt. I know families who send their kids to 8 weeks of sleepaway camp who don't sign contracts until the end of August. That bothers me.

Yes, doesn't seem fair but if the gym will take them, then that is the gym's choice. I am sure these families are still paying all the choreo, music, etc, just not the 2 months of tuition. And actually, since my kid is there, working & gaining new skills during those months, it's all good with me. I'm getting my money's worth.

We had a girl one season who did not join until December or so - I'm sure she had to pay for the fees for the comps and uniform, etc but just not the gym fees. We had a couple of girls leave and we just worked her in and she became one of the our flyers so we definitely needed her. But the routine choreography had already happened and luckily our first comp wasn't until January and she picked it up quickly.

That would be my only concern with someone taking the summer off - but for us - we don't do choreo until later anyway.

The other possibility with taking the summer off is that a team roster is full after tryouts and there is no space come the fall. I know with kids there is usually another team they can do (maybe not the one they wanted), but with Open teams, its' often a case of sorry, we no longer have a team for you

Back