Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Thank you for sharing that information and I wish them all the best. I don't disagree with many of your sentiments. We started the season wanting to financially support our program, which we love and want to remain in business moving forward. We also feel very comfortable with the protocols they have in place. After what happened with Worlds and Summit last year I really expected Varsity to be much more nimble and am constantly surprised with how reactive they are. I might not come across as someone who worked in business for two decades with a husband in finance but I am and really DO appreciate contractual issues. But I don't see how the events that go on aren't possibly losing money at this point: limited attendance, lower admission, no hanging around buying food or beverage, extra staff on site needed for cleaning, etc. A two day comp for example that contractually couldn't cancel without government intervention could possibly become two smaller one day comps, etc. and might allow more spectators but I don't see those type of switches being made.

General question: if usasf/varsity checks whether athletes are registered/eligible/age appropriate to compete in general, do you think there is any role for Varsity to ask programs to complete a Covid disclosure as to whether they are eligible to travel or compete in this competition? Hold programs accountable for breaking state laws? or not there role at all. They are a business but also a governing body so IDK.

2. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    You are getting into HIPAA and state regulation territory, and without consulting with a lawyer, I have no idea. People assume Varsity can do a lot, but forget the main reason businesses don't want to get involved with enforcing laws and leave that up to the state authorities is because they can be sued and that's expensive. I, also, have 20 years of middle management experience with May Corp (now Federated) and the last 8 years my position required me to be in meetings with Sr. management and inquiring often with the Corp lawyers. Corp lawyers make decisions based on law, risk, and cost, they do not want to be in a courtroom because it's expensive and to keep up with ever changing laws of 50 states is expensive. There were many times I knew I was doing the right thing only to have a lawyer tell me "No, move on."

As far as virtual comps making or losing money... athlete fees, spectator fees and hotel rebates obviously play a part in their comp profits. However, it is not just the venue, cleaning, security, bids and food services it is covering, that profit also goes toward Varsity debt, building/storage leases, employee salaries/benefits, legal fees, etc. I agree it would be less expensive from the venue standpoint, but we have no idea if virtual can make a dent in their other expenses.

I 100% agree with that, however, the good news is extremists are a very small percentage of the American people. The bad news is because they get constant media attention, it makes us feel as though we are in a constant state of crazy and only serves to perpetuate more extreme behavior, ideals and conspiracy theories. Truth>>>Newton's law of force and acceleration applies to people's views and behavior, as well. People that are spoken to calmly and with reason are more likely to listen and change their behavior versus calling them "idiots" or trying to justify violence and destruction. If we are doing the latter, we are perpetuating and intensifying those with opposing views.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    If it were only the media I wouldn't have any problem ignoring it. But seeing it a lot from friends is a little disheartening.

4. CLynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Thanks for you perspective.

5. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    SOH is moving from GWCC to GICC by Atlanta airport.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. CLynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I am not familiar with that facility. If Cheersport had to move in the same way is there enough space and hotel rooms?

7. 123jump4!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    No I don’t think so. It’s way smaller.

8. ImAChauffeuse

ImAChauffeuse Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    As we have “seen very recently” way too many people don’t believe anything they see in mainstream media
    because they have been brainwashed into thinking it’s all “fake news”.

I personally know SO many people who have Covid or are just getting over it after traveling to visit relatives over Christmas with the rationalization that “oh they’re just family, they couldn’t have it”. So many others aren’t getting over it and DYING.

I am happy to continue paying for all star cheer without going to any comps in person. What angers me is the few families who have zero regard for anyone else, that have continued to host or attend gatherings/sleepovers/travel out of state - 3 times now our team has been quarantined for 2 weeks due to this. Those families should be kicked off the team and out of the gym. They are putting not only their teammates at risk but putting the entire gym at risk of shutting down. The fact that they are still allowed
    to show up to practice after this is what makes me want to leave our gym.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree and I put the mask debaters into two categories. The ones that debate, but still wear them, and those that are just defiant to be defiant. I don't concern myself with the debaters that wear masks. I'm more concerned about those that are just fighting back extreme statements with more extreme statements. Example: "It's hard to breathe with PTSD, asthma, or any other medical condition." Followed up with, "try breathing when you're dead" (usually with an idiot somewhere in there). Followed up with "it's my right" (usually with a snowflake somewhere in there). Most true mask debaters are debating epidemiologists information that came out stating the virus was .125 microns and an N-95 filters down to .3 microns. Honestly, I raised an eyebrow to that, but those epidemiologists went on to explain the virus hangs out on larger airborne particles and the physics of a mask still helps slow the spread. That was enough logic for me, but I still respect a good friendly debate from my mask wearing debaters. With that said, defiance, condescension, and vitriol is not debating and that's what I'm seeing a lot of on social/news media.

The truth is, there's a large population on social/news media that aren't concerned with educating or logic, they're looking for viewership and likes, and that often comes with drama with no thought to consequence. I don't believe there's a person out there that believes minds are changed with insults and condescending tone, but people love to join that choir. They will hit that like button, retweet, and repost, and we are just beginning to see the consequence of those extremes.

10. cac4life

cac4life They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    about to vent.
    I'm so over covid. Over debating about the mask, vaccines, cheer affecting it, gym closures, comps being virtual or not...like I'm just done with all of it. It's exhausting and it seems like there is nothing to live for anymore. I'm so tired of "we are all in this together." Its taken such a toll on my mental health. There's no consistency in life. I'm homeschooled because of this. I'm not getting a cheer season which sucks because I'm on 2 of the best teams I have ever been on. I just am so tired of it all and I'm over covid.

11. 123jump4!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This is (hopefully) the home stretch of a long, exhausting race. The vaccine is here. I know you’re suspicious of the vaccine and you don’t like masks. That must make it harder for you, I’m sorry.

It will be over at some point for everyone, but faster for those who get vaccinated! (It seems effective & very safe but I’m still watching until it’s my turn.)

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. cac4life

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I have valid reasons of both. I have anxiety with the mask and I'm not getting the vaccine. A vaccine is not a cure, we have had a flu vaccine for how long? And guess what? The flu is still a thing.
    I personally don't believe this is ever going away. In fact, things and restrictions are only about to get a hell of a lot worse

13. 123jump4!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Too bad for you!

14. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If you truly feel this way I highly suggest you get counseling. Many counselors are offering virtual sessions. Given time, a good counselor can really make a difference and help.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. cac4life

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    so I'm not sure if you meant this that way, but this sounds highly sarcastic and insensitive
    where you actually showing compassion or was this sarcastic to bad so sad