Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. cac4life

cac4life They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    That's all crazy. There's a difference between safe and crazy, and that's crazy.
    Praying for all of u guys up there and for your mental health. I hope it's not affecting everyone too badly. I can see suicide rates in this world going up a lot soon.

2. RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    _robin_sparkles
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    BC has opened up (not all the way back to normal, though), but there are restrictions on gatherings still. It seems wildly unlikely a live event of any kind would happen here. And I doubt the borders are gonna open soon, so that will make competitions like NCA, UCA, and Worlds a lot emptier unless they're virtual.
    (Heck, it was looking like we wouldn't even have NHL games for a while.)

3. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I don't know if it is crazy.

Our ICUs were at 165% capacity and we were on the brink of medical professionals having to pick and choose who was going to receive care. For a population in province of 1.3 million, we were announcing 15-20 deaths each day. Our health care system was going to collapse if we didn't shut things down. I'd much rather 'suffer' for 8-10 weeks than see that happen. I cannot begin to process how it would feel as a physician having to decide who received a ventilator and who didn't. And that's what we were facing.

Let me also say, the PTSD that is going to be suffered by our health care professionals, especially those working in Covid wards is going to be substantial. Nurse friends of mine who are working on such wards are so burnt out. My husband is a first responder and daily has multiple calls to Covid positive patients. Hes not a guy to worry, and he's concerned about going to work. Not because he may get sick, he long ago accepted the personal risk associated with his job, but because he could spread it to me etc.

Our provincial government has provided free access to counselling sessions for anyone wishing to access it to help with the impacts of the pandemic. We're not "locked down" or on stay at home orders. I leave my house for my part time job, I can go for freezing cold walks and other outdoor activities. Our government failed in a lot of ways, but the restrictions we currently have worked. Our case count has gone down almost 80% simply by restricting peoples movement.

There was an article published earlier this month and suicide rates here have not increased at all. It's not easy, but anyone who thinks that living through a pandemic of this scale should be easy would be misguided.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 17
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. fierceeflyeer

fierceeflyeer I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I have to agree with all of this. I'm in Ontario and we are facing a similar situation, if not worse. Our stay at home order is effective today and we can get fined if we leave our houses for non-essential things- although outside walks are okay and I'm okay with it. Everyone I talk to is okay with it because we have seen what has gone on around the world from other countries and their healthcare systems collapsing it's scary. My heart truly goes out to all those who are frontline workers right now, it's a terrible situation we're all facing but my hope is that we will get through this soon.

5. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Husband is a firefighter-paramedic. The anxiety I have about him going in for his shifts is astronomical. Using Manitoba for evidence, it does work. Just enough people have to buy in for it to happen.

They said that we should expect this big spike from the holidays and it never materialized. That to me shows how well not gathering works!

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    No one is debating "how well not gathering works" the problem is how do you provide for your country while you shut it down. Also, once it reopens, the spread resumes. Canada is using Modern Monetary Theory right now to take care of its 38 million people. America has 330 million people and the verdict is still out on MMT, although with every stimulus package that's what is happening.

Modern Monetary Theory states that as long as your country has its own currency, it can just print money to cover debt. There are many countries with their own currency, that have deemed MMT not only necessary during the pandemic, and are disputing it will not cause hyperinflation. The flip side, many economists keep pointing to the example of Germany after WWI when they just started printing money to cover debt. The end result was many people's life savings would no longer purchase a loaf of bread and one US dollar was worth 1 trillion Marks.

7. twincheermom

twincheermom I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I originally had this comment in the NCA thread, but am moving it here instead.

I don't have a dog in this show this year, but my concern for large travel competitions would be more about restaurants over the weekend. Both restaurants and bars are VERY crowded during NCA and Cheersport. Are there restaurant restrictions right now in Dallas or Atlanta? Where I live, restaurants can only be at 25% capacity and I believe have to stop serving at 9:30 and be completely closed by 10:00 pm. This seems like it would be challenging with thousands of people coming in who will need to eat.

8. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @twincheermom Thanks for putting it in this thread. I am not sure about Dallas. I live in Bryan, Tx. I think our local restaurants are at 75% capacity.

* Adding, I googled it looks like we were recently moved to 50% capacity. I know to go orders and delivery are very popular right now.

9. cac4life

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    My gym just closed down :( :( :( :(

10. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We find out Tuesday if our governor will allow stunting, we have not been able to for the past month. But stayed next to us r going to Indy!

11. kayemm

kayemm I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I’m in Scotland and we are pretty much the same. Our gym reopened in September but since then we keep going in and out of various levels of restrictions and have only had about ten weeks of actual training. Right now we are closed until at least the end of January but I think it will be longer. The chance of us competing at all this season is slim. The level 1 team I coach are pretty much all new and are still working on the basic fundamentals of stunting.

To me it feels very surreal seeing teams in the US hitting full out routines and going to in person comps and talking about NCA and Worlds. Even if teams from the UK were allowed to travel, none of them would be competition ready in April.

12. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Oh no! What happened? For how long?

13. cac4life

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    We had a lot of athletes travel out of state over the break, and unfortunately even with us wearimg masks at the gym they came in and passed it around. We are till the end of this month to allow the holiday surge to slow down, and then they are evaluating if we can return. it stinks because we where supposed to go to soh but now we have to pull out :(
    CLARIFYING-The athletes did not come in sick. At that time they where not showing any symptoms and felt fine

14. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  15. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...: