All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The hard part is, I feel at this point we're stuck. If we open the economy back up it doesn't actually help # one or two.

Playing out the scenario of opening the economy and life back to normal... It would be a matter of weeks before the spread of the virus is even more uncontrollable. Some people will blissfully go back to life as usual. Others will still choose to self quarantine, only it's not mandatory anymore, so now their employers don't have to allow their choice. Aid isn't available, bill companies don't have to work with you. You now have to choose if you're punished for doing what needs to be done, or if you risk your and your families health everyday bc the economy is open. Most businesses will still struggle bc while some will come out, a lot still won't either bc they can't afford the risk, or they can't afford it financially. Schools will go back, but kids will miss for being sick, or out of their families fear of them getting sick. Same for teachers and subs, so now classes are getting combined. Now the school is in trouble for absences and funding is at risk. Then schools close for sick days, and now parents are back to having to miss work bc kids are home with no supervision. It's a cycle, and everything is connected. We're seeing other countries now let up on isolation, only to go back to it.

So yes, doing #1 hurts #2; but doing #2 really won't help either. I don't know how it stops. I hope someone does, because I agree just #1 isn't sustainable currently. Things would have to majorly change.

I know a few people, some cheerleaders included ...that a struggling A LOT mentally with the isolation. I know one that can’t even get out of bed, is used to seeing help regularly ... is starting to not respond to group chats. We are very worried. I had an old high school friend who I have not talked to in YEARS randomly reach out to me via Instagram direct message about how she just needed someone to talk to and was Having a hard time... and reached out to me (of all people) because of a conversation she remembered we had in a calculus class our senior year. People have too much time on their hands...not enough person to person socialization, things to keep them occupied and their brains busy and bustling- it’s concerning.
I agree with you saying it’s a circle and neither is sustainable. I think we keep thinking that “self isolation” is keeping us “Safe”... I guess I feel it’s just buying us more “time” in sort of a COVID Purgatory... and regardless of when we return to some form of freedom we will see a resurgence. This awful Virus will get who it wants to get, we have no control over who, when where-
...I agree with flattening the curve and not overwhelming the healthcare system and I also believe we are taking the measures we need to right now- but like you said, it’s unsustainable for too long. When that is... I don’t know - I guess that has to be measured on how long people and business can “hold up”...I think isolation going too far into May you’re going to see a very scary side of society.
I also agree the entire COUNTRY regardless of their outbreak status should have been on a shelter in place order for 4 weeks off the bat and all parks and recreational areas should have been immediately closed... I do think inconsistency is part of the problem. People are confused, don’t know what shelter in place means, don’t know who’s enforcing it- they see on TV some states are still doing life as usual... I look at it like how I run my team: I can’t tell kids to wear their hair in pony with a bow in their hair and not expect some to show up with their gold bow, white bow a low pony a high pony side part... some are asking my assistant coach how she wants it and others are asking their captains how they want it... if we all don’t collectively decide and inform: low slick backed pony, right part with gold skinny bow or you’re getting a demerit - you’re going to have chaos.

P.S. Camp in May is ridiculous to even say out loud right now.

I’ve seen so many posts about how devastated kids will be and how cancelling *big event* takes away from all their hard work, etc.

Are we not worried that we are raising kids who can’t handle disappointment or changes in plan? Do we really want our kids to be so fragile that they can’t understand that stuff happens and we must carry on?

Not paying bills just so your kid can cheer??? No way I want my kid being taught that her hobby runs my household. I teach and it is always obvious which kids have households who revolve around them and which kids don’t. I don’t want mine to think the world revolves around her. Bills before cheer and learn to deal with disappointment.

With alot of NCAA athletes, I saw the sentiment of "yes season cancellations suck, but let's take what our sports have taught us and roll with the punches, get back up off the ground, and continue on with the opportunities we have in the future."

Disappointment is just a part of life, and especially in the current situation we have found ourselves in. If anything there is a disservice happening to people in the cheer world because of how up in the air things still are. Make the final decision so that people can move 0n with their lives and not have to worry about the potential ramifications of having to plan a whole different trip to Florida/elsewhere in the middle of a pandemic.

might be an obvious maybe dumb question, if it hasnt been brought up already, but does it even matter what varsity says, i would think disney holds all the power here, regardless of what contract varsity has with them, they could simple pull the plug and say no to varsity wanting to delay worlds, etc.

Not a dumb question. Disney has a partnership with Varsity, so there's some type of contractual agreement that determines their share in profits and losses. I once read DisneyWorld employs 75,000 people and has an operating budget of over $12 million daily, and then you have thousands of Orlando businesses that rely on Disney. No doubt, there's got to be tremendous pressure from the Orlando government and surrounding businesses to have Disney's partners filling those parks as soon as they are able.

Bottom line, whether its camps, venues, or uniforms, Varsity deals with third parties and can't "just decide and announce" things they don't have total control over. On top of third parties, Varsity has multiple partnerships (Disney, FloSports, Flabletics, Skechers, Gaterade,...). So, while it sounds so simple to just pull the plug, there are multiple contracts involved and it's much more complicated than the critics are making it out to be.

https://www.varsity.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/VAS_TheSummit_FAQ_19_20.pdf
This is beyond ridiculous, but it’s very odd that I have only seen this posted on a couple of group pages and not on the normal industry social media accounts

I was thinking the same exact thing about how interesting that it isn’t on any of their social media pages but found it on the official summit website. I thought at first it was an April Fools Joke since it circulated yesterday but then when I saw it was actually updated on website [emoji2360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is beyond ridiculous, but it’s very odd that I have only seen this posted on a couple of group pages and not on the normal industry social media accounts

The changes apply to D2 summit too. I’m actually kind of shocked. I get that they have to prepare for smaller numbers if they are going to proceed. But no way that Orlando in the summer is a good idea. I think they will end up having to cancel or delay.

Also funny how it's buried what looks like the normal FAQ in red and not posted where they're posting everything else COVID19?

SHORT VERSION FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO DIG!

SUMMIT 2020 NEW RULES.

1. No Wildcards. Everyone will compete Semis.
2. Must stay in the division you qualified in.
3. You can ADD NEW KIDS kids up the max # for your size. So if you were Small and you had 15, you can add 22.
4.KIDS CAN CROSS TO ANY LEVEL. ONLY CROSSOVER LIMIT IS WORLDS ATHLETES.
5. Roster replacement rules don't apply.

Exception to #2- If you were Coed and you can't be Coed anymore, you can switch to All Girl.

Cliffnotes: DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.

Last edited:
Double-posting but:

Healthcare peeps:

How realistic is this May 3-4th date they just announced for Summit?

I posted this the other day, but I postponed a charity event that was scheduled for 5/23.

Did I jump the gun/overreact?

Also funny how it's buried what looks like the normal FAQ in red and not posted where they're posting everything else COVID19?

SHORT VERSION FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO DIG!

SUMMIT 2020 NEW RULES.

1. No Wildcards. Everyone will compete Semis.
2. Must stay in the division you qualified in.
3. You can ADD NEW KIDS kids up the max # for your size. So if you were Small and you had 15, you can add 22.
4.KIDS CAN CROSS TO ANY LEVEL. CROSSOVER RULES NO LONGER APPLY.
5. Roster replacement rules don't apply.

Exception to #2- If you were Coed and you can't be Coed anymore, you can switch to All Girl.

Cliffnotes: DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.
what a joke...

Double-posting but:

Healthcare peeps:

I posted this the other day, but I postponed a charity event that was scheduled for 5/23.

Their roster changes are due June 1, so I don’t think the May dates stand.

Double-posting but:

Healthcare peeps:

Not healthcare here so I can’t answer from that perspective, but as an avid Disney freak I can tell you that Disney isn’t even currently accepting new reservations before June 1.

Last edited:
Double-posting but:

Healthcare peeps:

May 3-4th were the original dates, it is saying it will not take place on those dates.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't see anything about Worlds crossovers specifically.

But if the rules don't apply anymore, Shady Athletics could literally load up their Senior 1 with Worlds kids for funsies.

Back