All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just saw a post from Varsity promoting a one of a kind Summit event in June where even World teams can come......really?

Yup. My friends are at a gym where they said they’d go. Parents are scrambling and some said no way. The coaches are adamant about going even though many parents aren’t in a great financial spot right now. The gym is in the tri state area which is getting hit hard with the virus and unemployment.

Just saw a post from Varsity promoting a one of a kind Summit event in June where even World teams can come......really?
Whaaaat??

I’m so confused about everything going on. Our gym (and several in the area) has tryouts scheduled to start May 16. Our county (neighboring county but different from gyms) has extended stay at home until May 15. I have heard many schools and colleges many not return even in the fall. But our school cheer coach just told us she wants to start practices in June & go to camp in July now. She also wants to have team bonding event & slumber party before June practices.

It’s as if the threat of covid-19 will disappear as soon as shelter in place orders expire. As a parent I don’t know what to think. I struggle between “just because I can, doesn’t mean I should” and “am I being too over protective”?

Whaaaat??

I’m so confused about everything going on. Our gym (and several in the area) has tryouts scheduled to start May 16. Our county (neighboring county but different from gyms) has extended stay at home until May 15. I have heard many schools and colleges many not return even in the fall. But our school cheer coach just told us she wants to start practices in June & go to camp in July now. She also wants to have team bonding event & slumber party before June practices.

It’s as if the threat of covid-19 will disappear as soon as shelter in place orders expire. As a parent I don’t know what to think. I struggle between “just because I can, doesn’t mean I should” and “am I being too over protective”?
No such thing as over protective now...

I am not fully understanding what that event is.

Is it a competition?
Is it showcase?

While some may risk it for a competitive event, I have a hard time thinking that people would risk disease/illness for what is basically a end of year showcase event.

I could be way off, but I think his connection with the program is that his niece cheers (or cheered) there?

I think she did. Someone posted a screen shot of him saying that he was/is a program director, coach, and judge. I went back to see the post but cheer mad deleted it after the uproar this morning.

ETA: he is listed as part of the staff.

Yup. My friends are at a gym where they said they’d go. Parents are scrambling and some said no way. The coaches are adamant about going even though many parents aren’t in a great financial spot right now. The gym is in the tri state area which is getting hit hard with the virus and unemployment.
Like in person? Where?

Where is the post? Ugh. Our gym will definitely want to go. Hard decisions ahead.
This is the one I've seen
2a7720c7d81b16d793bd1adf66fddeaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thank you.

ETA: and I guess that answers who would be willing to go...”majority”
eh. We will see. Just because the "majority" would like one more "celebration" in my mind does not mean the "majority" would be willing to book travel for a maybe open/maybe not Disney in the middle of a pandemic. And is it a "majority" of those who haven't had the sense to pull out already?
I'm sure Florida will be thrilled with an influx of people from NY and NJ!! And those programs probably won't represent that well given at this point they will have less than a month in the best case to prepare.

I can't get my head around what any program stands to gain from attending an event in late June instead of focusing on moving forward. Will they receive a lot of money back from Varsity if they attend?

eh. We will see. Just because the "majority" would like one more "celebration" in my mind does not mean the "majority" would be willing to book travel for a maybe open/maybe not Disney in the middle of a pandemic. And is it a "majority" of those who haven't had the sense to pull out already?

I'm sure Florida will be thrilled with an influx of people from NY and NJ!! And those programs probably won't represent that well given at this point they will have less than a month in the best case to prepare.

I can't get my head around what any program stands to gain from attending an event in late June instead of focusing on moving forward. Will they receive a lot of money back from Varsity if they attend?
I was kind of being sarcastic... just using their terminology. They’ve invited everyone ( no bid required) from what I can tell. Except for maybe World’s teams... which is odd. Basically it appears that enough people said yes they would come that it won’t lose them $. But those hurdles are pretty big ifs right now.

if the costs of missed comps are being applied to the costs of the event, either Disney or Varsity stands to take a hit for what they’d usually see. Provided they don’t up the costs significantly. Plus added costs to disinfect, separate, isolate sickness etc. Hopefully it eats into the profit, and doesn’t get absorbed by the cheerleaders/families

Back