Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.
With the season ending prematurely, will USASF allow athletes who are aging out an extra year?
I would tend to agree. But I’m not completely sure, Disney has technically already cancelled April and May. There may be a postponement clause, and perhaps the survey was designed to see if Varsity would at least break even by holding it, when balancing cancellation fees. But most reports regarding Disney is that they are being pretty accommodating in their dealings right now. And while Disney is having guests sign detailed waivers, I’m not sure they can completely waive employee protections if the events lead to hazardous conditions.
I wish them luck and hope it's successful. These are such difficult times
Your comment about a postponement clause got me thinking.... who is going to look for a clause in their gym contract next year about refunds or suspension of tuition if the govt forces closures during next years season? This happened at the end of the season so losing 1 months tuition was not a financial dealbreaker. But say that restrictions are eased and another wave happens and your state closes in November. That is a far different story financially.
Curious, what gyms are attending the Covid-19 Summit competition?
I respect that, and I don't think anyone thinks Disney or Varsity can go against FL Governor's plan. GA opened up hair/nail salons, tattoo parlors, and gyms on Friday. A lot weren't open, many said they couldn't get their employees back in time, they couldn't get up to re-opening standards in time and many people still don't want to go out. Meanwhile Gov Kemp was annihilated for his decision as if people were going to be lining up for miles crowding the gyms or to get their hair, nails, and tattoo's done. This is a process where it is going to take time re-opening and getting clientele back.
On gyms possibly penalizing families, then they don't deserve their business. Varsity has made the rules for Summit so there's absolutely no reason for a gym that wants to participate, to get upset at a customer that doesn't. There are no roster rules, nor are there crossover rules. It would be a great opportunity for Disney to do a controlled soft opening with limited guests, Varsity can have some employees working, and families that want their Sr's to have some type of celebration, or some season closure, can have it. But, and it's still a pretty big obstacle, gyms would still have to abide by their states rules on gym openings and distancing, so it may or may not be a possibility for every gym in every state.
I wonder if they considered non-stunting divisions, both for this comp and maybe for next season ? It would be a lot easier to do social distancing with dance,jumps and tumbling vs stunting, as well as to adapt for athletes needing to be out due to illness or quarantine due to exposure.
Maybe it's just me, but I would rather just not cheer than do that. I wouldn't even want to watch that.
There IS a non-building division at the UCA HS level meant for schools that have little to no stunting experience but want to compete.
The routine is basically tumbling, a jump section, and a cheer.
I don't see all star athletes at the Worlds level really wanting to do that?
That, and even without stunting, you still can't fully socially distance.
There are only so many panels of mat and it is impossible not to:
*land tumbling next to someone.
*dance within 6 feet of someone.
*guarantee you won't accidentally collide with someone.
It is literally the WORST sport to try to distance.
Any team sport is impossible.
Dance could move to just solos, smaller classes, etc. Gymnastics could stagger lesson times and spread out kids because you compete as individuals.
I don't see cheer working competitively for awhile unless team sizes change, routines look different, maybe we move back to having solos?
And everyone's hands would be touching the mat during tumbling ............................
In NBA news: The NBA is reopening practice facilities with relaxed stay at home orders on May 1.
"While this is no guarantee that the NBA ultimately resumes its season, it is at least a meaningful first step. The most recently reported plan to bring basketball back involved a 25-day preparation period in which players would work out individually for 11 days before coming together as teams for a 14-day training camp. Some players have expressed skepticism at the viability of such a truncated timeline, so reopening facilities at least provides players a chance to get a jump on individual workouts."
Coronavirus: NBA to reopen practice facilities in areas with relaxed stay-at-home orders on May 1, per report - CBSSports.com
I have been wondering about this as well. Of our local gyms currently actively promoting tryout dates/info, all of them have tryouts scheduled for May dates. Our state is under stay at home orders until at least June 10. I am so confused why they are asking for us to sign up and pay for these specific dates when they can’t legally even hold tryouts. One of the gyms says in the handbook that if they aren’t able to hold practices in May due to Covid that they will refund May tuition as a credit (the tryout fee includes registration and practice wear in addition to May tuition) - it doesn’t make any mention of refunds or anything past May only that you have to give 60 day notice to quit and they will continue charging you during that time. WE ALREADY KNOW THEY CANT HOLD PRACTICE IN MAY so they basically want a loan? The other bigger gym won’t tell you anything except the tryout fee but you have to sign a financial commitment form upfront that you agree to be responsible for the full year but won’t tell you HOW MUCH that is until after team placement which is ridiculous. I don’t even know what to do at this point.
How are the gyms in your area that have the info out handling tryouts and next season?
Kind of rediculous to charge for a month(s) they may not be open?
Happy end of what-would-have-been Worlds weekend:
Our issue in the UK, and probably a lot of other European countries, is that we get our Bids a year in advance as our season runs to slightly different times and to allow for sufficient fundraising and planning time. Our teams that should have been in Florida right now, gained their bids from competitions LAST season, so in the March - July of 2019.
Our bids for Worlds 2021 should be given out from now to July - but all the competitions (apart from a couple at the end of June and July) are currently cancelled. I don't see the UK cheer season resuming this year as I think we'll have restrictions on large events for many months to come. So if we can't get bids, then there won't be any UK teams at Worlds in 2021, unless bids from this year are allowed to carry over.
Our final big competition of the season is at the end of July. The competitions don't really pick up again until February/March time - although there are a few regional ones through the winter.
There's just so much more to work out from an international perspective.
Separate names with a comma.