Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Well they tried! Many of us never thought this could have been pulled off given the real life tragedies unfolding around us, and the reality that the vast majority of gyms have not yet reopened for full team practices yet. Hopefully those heartbroken athletes had adults in their lives who were preparing them for the inevitable and while disappointed they can focus on the best 2021 season possible.

2. ImAChauffeuse

ImAChauffeuse They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I find I have little sympathy for the parents who were chomping at the bit to put their kids and others at risk to attend a huge event in Florida in mid-June for the sake of cheer.

I do feel sorry for their kids.

3. MomMomMamaMom

MomMomMamaMom I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I think Disney was pretty hopeful, and Florida is pretty gung ho to open things up. But I have my doubts that they could charge enough to make it worthwhile without the parks being fully operational, the multiple restaurants etc. plus USASF training/safety requirements would be hard to engage in with such a lag in training. We still haven’t opened here..and now it has been 2 months of zoom practices.

I get where it seemed kind of cruel to the kids. But I also think it helped gyms... if they had given a hard no, it would have been at least a months less tuition.

4. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Athletes who would have aged out this season are being granted an extra year of eligibility.

5. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I think it’s fair for same gym and team....

6. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

Not sure. Top Gun posted the press release but it stated that the seniors who were active will rectangles email.

7. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My only concern with Extra Year For Seniors:

Wouldn't it potentially leave fewer spots open for new folks who weren't on that Worlds team last year?

Example: Let's say every senior on (example) TGLC offered an extra year chooses to take them up on it.

Fewer open spots for kids aging up to Worlds level and interested in TGLC, yes?

8. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Not that I don’t agree...but TG seems to be an outlier in this area. Not many super senior as it is, simply because it is not plausible due to going to college away from home, etc, etc. So in most gyms, this will not take away from younger athletes. However, it may happen in gyms like TG.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    True. Most seniors have already made deposits and such re: their school of choice and aren't backing out for one more year of cheer. I think more would be interested if they'd known about it say, in Jan/Feb but not now.

10. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Flip side, there are a lot of students/parents saying they aren't going to fork out thousands of dollars if these schools choose to be on online format for Fall. Many are saying they will either defer a semester, a year, or take electives online at a community college. My youngest is majoring in Biology and had to finish out two lab courses online. There are just some professions where you truly don't want to attend or graduate from Zoom University. I think it's possible gyms could see an increase in Super Sr's this year, perhaps not huge, but I could see how it could increase depending on what Universities decide to do.

11. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    i think it would have given disney a bad look, to host a full blown cheer comp with probably hundreds of spectators/athletes, and at the same time plan on only half opening the disney area to the general public. And maybe that was part of the reason why they decided to scrap the idea.

12. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Good point. Who knows? This is the epitome of “taking it day by day”

13. MrBob

MrBob I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  14. DancerDude0118

DancerDude0118 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    The Most Populated Timezone on the Planet
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    I’m completing final semester of university right now and have no choice but to deal with this.

I’m seeing some people say (outside of this forum), “But 100% online programmes have existed for awhile now.” To that, I say, it’s different taking a class that was designed to be online vs. one that has had to adapt to become one with zero planning.

Some of my classes absolutely suck this semester and it’s only because they really weren’t meant to be done remotely.

15. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree. I have two kids in college and there was a huge difference in some on-line classes versus others. Some of the professors did a great job with the transition and some only posted powerpoint slides with no interaction and were rarely available for two way communication. I can't imagine another full semester (or more) of that framework even with time to plan for it. Fortunately the school plans to continue on campus learning in the Fall with some possible modifications but California has already announced closed campuses through the Fall semester and I expect a few other states to do the same.