Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yup, and the CCAA suspended NCAA competition for all fall sports in 2020.

2. Mndl

Mndl Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My son is a math major and he switched 3 of his classes to pass/fail because the online format was just not working for him, some classes just don’t translate very well online. I’m glad the school recognized it and gave them the option without penalizing them, but at the same time all those classes build on his next ones, so I hope it doesn’t cause a ripple effect. It’s also very annoying to pay such a large sum of money for a less than acceptable academic experience

3. AshleyErin

AshleyErin I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'm in my clinical year where I'm supposed to be just treating patients.....and we're doing all of our pod meetings online instead of interacting with patients. Then my school is over here sending out a whole email to us BRAGGING THAT THEY AREN'T INCREASING TUITION (from the already steep $26000 per year). Like excuse me, I am not getting the clinical education I need to be accredited. They're saying that they're being hit hard and some of the things that they are cutting down on include "business trips and conferences" and that this is tough because the price of technology to keep our classes online is increasing (mind you all of our lectures were already podcasted and we took our exams on self-supplied ipads anyways, the only extra for them was adding zoom). wut.

I feel like cheer is doing way more to try to accommodate the current financial situations of families so much more than schools have (at least private ones that should be doing more). If anything, I know that while this stay-at-home period has been tough, it has helped us realize the potential of online practices for conditioning and other aspects of cheer that can be safely done at home - which we will continue to implement when the gym opens again.

4. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think it's also making people realize we don't NEED all of those extras. I'm in a school so it's much different, but do we NEED camp and camp clothes for $500+? Eh, probably not.

This has been a nightmare, but I think a lot of the changes that have come out of it are truly beneficial for the industry as a whole and I hope we can maintain them.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Agree. This will change us forever and not just in a bad way. Not just cheer. Some people are saying how they don’t even miss some things they used to do/buy and how they appreciate nature, family & the little things more.

6. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I think we will see a lot of changes in education, cheerleading, and life in general. There’s so much we don’t *need*.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. emo_wifey

emo_wifey Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yep. I work for the state and after a month of teleworking, which was not an option for most state employees beforehand, they started talking about keeping this a permanent thing. My specific division in my agency is making it optional because some people don't like it, but the government realized we can save a lot of money on real estate by cutting office space and letting more people work from home. Productivity and morale are actually up with it too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The return to work working group I am a part of Estimates 30% of employees will never come back to the office. And for a large majority theY will work remote for a least half of the time. We are working on cutting down our global real estate footprint and possible remodeling our offices towards a desk/ office share. But we don’t expect to Reopen our office for many many months. Possibly 2021.

9. Atxmom

Atxmom They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I read an article about future of hotels. Once CEO said in the past bulk business came from work/conferences and leisure was secondary. He thinks in the future it will be reversed cause businesses are realizing they don’t need all the extra travel.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My husband works for a hotel and it is all up in the air.....closed until the end of June at least. We r hour train ride from NYC and no tourists or weddings at hotel.