Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

I think these are all good questions to ask and discuss publicly! We've been locked down here for what feels like forever and are so ready to move forward. Now we need the best guidance on HOW we do that safely. Can we just go back to the way we've always done things and if not which changes should we make?

2. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    our coaches has always worn one when doing privates........

3. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I believe my gym is starting to stunt after the 4th of July week off, no mask required. People can wear a mask if it makes them feel better, but they don't have to. I know personally, I can't breathe well with a mask. Coaches have started spotting again. Some wear
    mask, some don't.

4. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    CP’s gym will require masks for stunting. So happy & relieved. I wasn’t going to let her take part otherwise but now she doesn’t have to miss out.

5. quietmom

quietmom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    exhaustedmom79
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I'm wondering what big competitions like Cheersport, NCA, UCA, Summit, and World's will look like this year.

My daughter wants to be on a local cheer abilities team again. And I have 2 immunocompromised sons.

So I'm trying to take a measured approach.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Maybe(hopefully for lots) we will see a better organized system in place at comps

7. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach

“Everyone is wanting that sense of normalcy. Parents, athletes, coaches - everybody is just wanting normalcy. But the reality is we’re just not in a normal time.”

BEAUTIFULLY said! Thank you so much for making this video! Thank you for being willing to admit when you’ve made a mistake. Thank you for being willing to learn and do better when a mistake is made. Thank you for being willing to share in your experiences to better prepare others. Thank you for making the health and safety of your athletes and their families your number 1 priority. I have gained so much respect for CA watching this video, this is the kind of discussion and decisions I had hoped the industry would make and I am glad that such a large and influential voice in the industry is having this conversation.

@BlueCat are these policies specific to the Plano location, or will they be the same at every gym with regards to temperature checks, hand washing, distancing, and mask wearing?

8. BlueCat

BlueCat Roses are red, cats are blue National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    jodymelton
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Verified Member:
    Jody Melton
    Owner of Cheer Athletics
    They are specific to the Plano location, but highly recommended for the others. (I believe the others are pretty similar.) Plano is now the only location we have direct control over.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Honestly? I don't think we'll have actual competitions this year. I just can't see how we'll be able to go from where we are now to gatherings of thousands indoors in a matter of months. I'm guessing we'll see virtual competitions this year. We're in a state that still doesn't allow groups of more than 5. I can't see that much of a change coming any time soon, especially after what's happening in Florida and Texas.

10. cheer36mom

cheer36mom I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I hate to say this but I agree with you. In my state gatherings with more than 250 are prohibited and we are in what they call the "green phase" which is as far as we will go until a vaccine is released according to our governor. For the time being I am just hoping my kid enjoys the time she has in the gym, but the way things are looking we are far away from allowing thousands to gather indoors. :(

11. Notintheknow

Notintheknow I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Hate to say, but I also agree. I believe stunting is a phase 4 activity for us, which is basically the vaccine phase. And, no way our health dept is going to allow hundreds of people in a convention center. I'm chalking it up to a year of mental reset and skills training. I'd love to be wrong, though!

12. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I’m thinking at least smaller local comps will maybe happen?

Hopefully things will get better, but yeah right now it’s bad in quite a few states. The once hardest hit are doing the best now!

13. Knowcheering

Knowcheering I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    Even the smallest comps usually have over a thousand people at them if you include spectators/chaperones, which are necessary in a sport where a lot of participants are young kids. Some professional sports might be able to have some sort of a season without spectators and mostly empty venues, but that isn't a possible solution for cheerleading. Who knows what will happen. The experts keep talking about a second wave, but we clearly aren't done with the first wave. It's calmed down in the northeast, but will it ramp up again as they start to open up? Who knows. The southern states are seeing a huge surge in cases all of a sudden. Who knows how many of those cases are actually serious. It's difficult to predict anything right now.

14. CheerVA

CheerVA I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I do agree!
    I can’t even wrap my head around bigger comps. Our gym generally has the largest teams allowed by Usasf. 25-30 kids deep. So we send 10 teams that’s 250 plus parents say another 200. Then our staff.. numbers add up so fast. And it’s nothing for us to run across other teams that are equal in size.

I read posts on Facebook that said their gyms are working on skills this year. Maybe a showcase or two but no comps.
    The not knowing is killin me!
    Most important thing is keeping kids healthy

15. SparkleSpankies

SparkleSpankies I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I have to agree. I also can't see how large cities will open venues to this and even then will it financially be in their interest, because it costs enough to rent a hall in a convention center, a sports arena... I doubt colleges will allow just anyone in mass herds on their campuses - it will be hard enough attempting their own athletics and school alone. But only time will tell. Who knows, maybe the lack of reported spiking from protests and the huge spikes in other states will allow us to finally get to the down swing (but I'm just being hopeful!).....