Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I think it fully depends on the individual states at this point. Some may be able to host events (even if it is one spectator per athlete) while some states will not even open arenas and convention halls through the majority of 2021. I'm not sure you will see a big national event with teams coming from all over any time soon as many states have a travel ban and you are required to quarantine for 14 days if you go to a state they deem high risk (our Governor has about 40 states on his list). Parents can not stay out of work for 2 weeks every time there is an out of state competition and if kids go back to school in person they wouldn't be able to miss that much school.

2. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I’m torn and we’ll be fine with whatever ends up happening. I think comps could be fairly safe if hanging around time is minimized and everyone wears a mask. I guess it’s just wait and see but our gym is planning on going to real comps in Nov & Dec.

3. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Isn’t there a way to do a Zoom with a team and the judges at an allotted time? It wouldn’t allow outsiders watching, but it would somewhat protect the integrity of the sport better than six days worth of chances would.

Everyone could have their run at their time, Varsity posts the vids a couple hours later so everyone can see how the teams did, and then results follow. Because otherwise if teams get bunches of chances, you can assume everyone will hit, and then it’s just a numbers game to figure out who won. The magic isn’t really there.

4. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Clearly we all come from different parts of the country and have different comfort levels. In state we have an indoor limit of 150 people so our program would not be legally allowed to be in a team room together or even in our gym together. Now obviously that is not the case in other states but I admit it will be difficult for me personally to go unfazed into Cheersport Atlanta or NCA Dallas and act as if we are back to normal but with masks.

There are other groups trying to get a piece of the virtual action who I believe are outside of Varsity. Cheer Match Live is one that popped up on my twitter feed and they give you two trys and you submit your best. I thought this demo was interesting ...

• Shimmy Shimmy x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yeah why... aren’t we all doing this?

6. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Agree. That’s why I said to minimize hanging around time. No walking around for hours watching other teams, buying things, all doing hair & makeup together etc. In & out quickly! This is just my opinion, I haven’t heard it will be the case but I hope.

7. WhatAmIDoingHere

WhatAmIDoingHere Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Just something to keep in mind, cases seem to increase when there are holidays because we tend to either take vacations or spend time with extended family.

With that in mind, Thanksgiving weekend is the weekend before WSF. So right when people would be getting symptoms is when they will be at a big 2 day competition.

8. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I can't see how that would be cost effective to run though or how they would possibly manage all the entry/exit.

9. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    i dont know how they would organize large comps like nca, cheersport and keep with social distancing rules. But i recall seeing once about how the very first worlds that was held, teams competed inside and then immediately left and waited outside until awards. Which in this time of covid seems like the most realistic way.
    As far as fans, yeah i cant see that even being allowed this comp season.

10. KPep

KPep Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    It looks really interesting! I wonder who is behind this and who is judging.

11. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I totally get people are screaming about how unfair a 6 day window to record is, but please keep in mind that you could be dealing with a lot of outside factors. We are a school team that is going to try and do virtual-we simply don't have a venue to "go live". I know it sucks, but it also may be the only practical thing for some.

12. SparkleSpankies

SparkleSpankies I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I agree, better then nothing.

13. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Question: How are you handling your gym showcases?

In person with no spectators?
    Staggering teams?
    In person with just parents and social distancing/masks?
    Virtual?

14. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    2 people per athlete, each team has separate block of times over 2 days, mask for all ...,,distancing! Also virtual showing.

15. kristenthegreat

kristenthegreat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    NY State had this problem with the Orthodox communities and Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur. Now those areas (particularly ones trying to subvert social distancing) all have higher numbers. They're at 5% even though the rest of the state is at 1%.