Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    after watching the news I doubt the WI comp will happen!!!!

2. fiercebowsnpoofs

fiercebowsnpoofs I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    It shouldn't! I live in FL but my family resides in Wisconsin & I have quite a few nurse friends there still. We are discussing if I should even travel to their WI home for Thanksgiving this year due to how bad it is in there. Children's hospitals are being converted to covid care centers because the normal hospitals are at capacity. The infection rate is 40 percent positive currently. Illinois is going into another soft lockdown - I am guessing there will soon be "border patrol" between WI and IL like when Covid first started. The fact I am potentially sacrificing seeing my family, who only get together about 2 times a year, while others are trying to have a trivial large-gathering cheer competition shows how self-serving America is appearing. It's absolutely tone-deaf to even think about competing there right now.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  3. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Good question. @WhatAmIDoingHere was supposed to attend. Any insights? There are a few others that obviously will be virtual though they have yet to announce. For example, one we have attended in MA in the past. The facility is currently a field hospital...

4. WhatAmIDoingHere

WhatAmIDoingHere They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Currently we don't have any information on if the comp fees will change. However, I did speak with someone higher up in the gym this past weekend. They made a point that paid bids still need to be covered. So I think they are still expecting fees to remain the same.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I am a event planner and have been hosting virtual conferences- the cost saves are huge even with the purchase of new technology.
    Varsity should reflect that in their pricing.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If you look at WSF details from the Varsity portal it looks like the fees are currently $99, which normally two day participant fees are around $130-$165. Normal one days are generally around $65, so it appears adjustments have been made and make accommodations for bid money.

World Spirit Federation

AS CH Pricing
    Type Price Per Deadline Division Group
    1st Performance - Athlete $99.00 Per Person USASF - All Star Elite INTERNATIONAL
    Additional Performance - Crossover $0.00 Per Person USASF - All Star Elite INTERNATIONAL

BATTLE BIG TOP Pricing
    Type Price Per Deadline Division Group
    1st Performance - Athlete $156.00 Per Person USASF - All Star Elite INTERNATIONAL
    Additional Performance - Crossover $95.00 Per Person USASF - All Star Elite INTERNATIONAL

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. cheermomforever

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I grew up in the MN still have family there and I feel the area have been more lax in all this and now it’s catching up!

8. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    There hasn't been a cheer event that has happened against the CDC or governor's guidelines. While I understand your frustration, events are going to be shifting, and if they can't take place, they won't. I applaud our businesses that are desperately trying to stay afloat so people have jobs to come back to. It isn't self serving, nor is it tone deaf to plan for the future even if in your opinion it is trivial, it's called being responsible and accountable to the people you have employed and to those that have loaned you money. What is trivial to some, is what keeps some looking forward to another day. I am truly sorry you may not be able to be with your family this Thanksgiving.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  9. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    On the first page on CDC we travel section "travel increases your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19. Travel during the COVID-19 Pandemic | CDC
    Furthermore in this specific case WI Gov. Tony Evers issued an advisory telling people they should stay home, he doesn't have broader authority to mandate it but those are his guidelines.

10. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    These Convention Centers are government property, so governors DO have the ability to shut them down and use them in crisis. GA has Double Down today and tomorrow at the GWCC and it looks like it is a much smaller event than usual with primarily local teams. There are specific CDC guidelines for sporting events <click here> and governors are aware of hospital capacities in their area. The blanket statement of "staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others" is common sense, but again, it won't pay people's bills and the CDC and governors are aware of that. The good news is you don't have to participate in cheer, nor do you have to travel, but for the thousands that make their living through cheer, that's not an option and it's not trivial to them.

11. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Double Down today was fairly small. People from our gym were good and most wore their masks the whole time. Sadly I can’t say the same for a lot of people from another gym. Even when reminded through the speaker system to wear their masks at all times, well they just didn’t care.

12. all4sarah

all4sarah They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I have a friend who lives in that area and she posted some Facebook pictures today from that event that gave me the same impression.

13. cheermomforever

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Then we wonder why the country is where it is today with numbers!

14. Lisa Seye

Lisa Seye I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I went to the grocery store tonight and saw plenty of folks without masks despite the mandate last week reiterating it. My son works at a home improvement store and he was tasked with handing out masks to customers as they entered. He said he got cursed at multiple times. Prior to the mandate last week, he told me he was the only worker in his team that wore a mask all the time. Our state is fast catching up with others around us in terms of infection rate. Our school cheer kids aren't allowed to stunt but all star gyms are stunting. In our state the rules/guidelines are not consistent across the board. They allow one thing and disallow another. Its nuts. Businesses closing up everywhere yet some folks refusing to mask up. I feel for all of us. Individuals, businesses, front line workers, etc. We have all been dealt a crappy hand this year.

15. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That’s what I was thinking. I went from disbelief to being mad. You get to watch your child compete but you have to wear a mask for a little while. Is it really that hard??? They weren’t distancing either.