All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That’s what I was thinking. I went from disbelief to being mad. You get to watch your child compete but you have to wear a mask for a little while. Is it really that hard??? They weren’t distancing either.
so I'm not saying this is in all cases, but I personally have pretty extreme anxiety, making it extremely hard/nearly impossible to wear my mask. I am really trying, but every time I wear them it's leading to panic attacks and I have passed out a number of times from it. my doc, said it's making my anxiety much much worse. so when u make comments like its really not that hard, remember that for sone people, it actually is

so I'm not saying this is in all cases, but I personally have pretty extreme anxiety, making it extremely hard/nearly impossible to wear my mask. I am really trying, but every time I wear them it's leading to panic attacks and I have passed out a number of times from it. my doc, said it's making my anxiety much much worse. so when u make comments like its really not that hard, remember that for sone people, it actually is

Have you tried a face shield? I have a student who can’t wear a mask because of anxiety. It also triggers her past trauma. She can handle wearing a face shield.

That sounds rough. Have you tried a thinner cotton one like from Old Navy?

It said in the competition covid guidelines that if you’re over age 2 and unable to wear a mask you can’t come and be a spectator. I believe most of the people who weren’t wearing their masks on day 1 did not have anxiety issues. More like “freedom” issues or “IDGAF” issues. On day 2 they wore their masks while packed into the priority viewing area (because they had been told) and it felt a lot safer.

Face shields were not allowed as substitute @Keep_Believing

That sounds rough. Have you tried a thinner cotton one like from Old Navy?

It said in the competition covid guidelines that if you’re over age 2 and unable to wear a mask you can’t come and be a spectator. I believe most of the people who weren’t wearing their masks on day 1 did not have anxiety issues. More like “freedom” issues or “IDGAF” issues. On day 2 they wore their masks while packed into the priority viewing area (because they had been told) and it felt a lot safer.

Face shields were not allowed as substitute @Keep_Believing
Hey! 1st off thank you for understanding. If u need to take it off to breathe for a few seconds that's fine, but when people have no issues and don't follow the law I can see the frustration. It's also quite, let's say saddening and frustrating that I cant participate in things because I am unable to wear a mask. The only type that I can semi wear for very short, and I'm talking like minute-long at intervals, is a very thin blue disposable. I do try to when a face shield when allowed, but I am not allowed to do that during cheer, and many paces don't allow it. it's frustrating when people come at me and I medically cannot wear it.

Have you tried a face shield? I have a student who can’t wear a mask because of anxiety. It also triggers her past trauma. She can handle wearing a face shield.
Sorry, tripe posting, but mentioning the past trauma thing. As a child, I was extremely claustrophobic. And I feel like the mask has brought it back.

So was priority viewing same as always or was there an attempt to distance people?

There were signs saying there should be distancing but it wasn’t enforced in the prio area, which I can understand would have been quite hard. Prio was on one side. It was a low floor. I was on the other side sitting behind the fence. I didn’t think prio was safe even when people were wearing masks.

The athletes also had to wear masks outside of warmups and competing. Our gym I think was the only one to compete in masks. The kids are used to it as they wear them in practice all the time.

Sorry, tripe posting, but mentioning the past trauma thing. As a child, I was extremely claustrophobic. And I feel like the mask has brought it back.

I want to preface this by stating I'm not endorsing those of us that can wear a 3-ply mask with no issues wear these, but my PTSD neighbor states this gauze mask with adjustable straps is the only thing he can wear that doesn't make him feel claustrophobic. It's obviously not the best protection for others, but it will stop more droplets than a mask worn below the nose, mouth, or not at all.

Thin breathable 1 ply gauze reusable adult face mask | Etsy

Our gym I think was the only one to compete in masks. The kids are used to it as they wear them in practice all the time.

I know retired cp's gym is required to practice in them and showcased with them on. If their sister gyms weren't in them, that's surprising (or, lol, perhaps your child cheers with them now). I, personally, am not a fan of masks for athletes with a lot of twisting tumbling/flying, I've seen a lot of shifting masks in videos, but with that said, it hasn't seemed to be an issue so far.

I want to preface this by stating I'm not endorsing those of us that can wear a 3-ply mask with no issues wear these, but my PTSD neighbor states this gauze mask with adjustable straps is the only thing he can wear that doesn't make him feel claustrophobic. It's obviously not the best protection for others, but it will stop more droplets than a mask worn below the nose, mouth, or not at all.

Thin breathable 1 ply gauze reusable adult face mask | Etsy

I know retired cp's gym is required to practice in them and showcased with them on. If their sister gyms weren't in them, that's surprising (or, lol, perhaps your child cheers with them now). I, personally, am not a fan of masks for athletes with a lot of twisting tumbling/flying, I've seen a lot of shifting masks in videos, but with that said, it hasn't seemed to be an issue so far.

There were 2 locations of our gym there (yep she’s back!) and I can’t remember if the smaller location competed in masks or not, but ours did. The matching gym masks don’t fit as well as the personal ones they wear at practice so there were some falling off issues.

We had to work with therapists to get our kids with special needs to use their masks and keep them on. There are some alternative options like face shields that are also helpful. You could try what @catlady suggested plus a face shield to keep yourself safe. I'm sorry you are dealing with this on top of the pandemic anxiety. It stinks.

We had to work with therapists to get our kids with special needs to use their masks and keep them on. There are some alternative options like face shields that are also helpful. You could try what @catlady suggested plus a face shield to keep yourself safe. I'm sorry you are dealing with this on top of the pandemic anxiety. It stinks.
it really does! I personally am not scared of the virus, but I do respect the fact that others are! I have no problems with face shields, but lots of paces are not allowing them where I live! I just appreciate how kind you all are being, as I have been attacked multiple times because of not wearing a mask, being called things like a brat, entitled idiot a b*tch, and selfish. And I'm not any of those, so it's hurtful when ppl act that way! So many of us have sunk into pandemic depression, so it is good to know good people are still on this earth! LOL

it really does! I personally am not scared of the virus, but I do respect the fact that others are! I have no problems with face shields, but lots of paces are not allowing them where I live! I just appreciate how kind you all are being, as I have been attacked multiple times because of not wearing a mask, being called things like a brat, entitled idiot a b*tch, and selfish. And I'm not any of those, so it's hurtful when ppl act that way! So many of us have sunk into pandemic depression, so it is good to know good people are still on this earth! LOL
Honestly, if you're unable to wear a mask, it's best to utilize delivery and pickup services and stay home. My youngest as adopted from a neglectful orphanage situation at age 3 1/2. She had severe medical trauma from having multiple surgeries at a military hospital as a toddler. She was so terrified of masks at one point, she climbed in a window at our house when a delivery guy came. It took a bit, but she wears her mask now. It can be done. It's not easy, I know more than many, but it can definitely be done for everyone's safety.

Honestly, if you're unable to wear a mask, it's best to utilize delivery and pickup services and stay home. My youngest as adopted from a neglectful orphanage situation at age 3 1/2. She had severe medical trauma from having multiple surgeries at a military hospital as a toddler. She was so terrified of masks at one point, she climbed in a window at our house when a delivery guy came. It took a bit, but she wears her mask now. It can be done. It's not easy, I know more than many, but it can definitely be done for everyone's safety.

I'm glad to hear she's over it. Unfrotantly, it's not as easy as you make it sound, and I'm really struggling with it. I have to go to therapy 3 times a week because of how much anxiety it has caused me. I can't wear it without having an attack, some so bad I have passed out. I also am not putting my life on pause. I will wear a face shield, but a mask still terrifies me, and I'm really trying but I can't wear it. I'm not going to just stay home, because this virus is not going away. if I die from it, it's my time, and at least I get to go to a better place. I personally have lots of mental health problems, and I take medication for anxiety and bipolar depression. My depression got so bad over quartine, and I'm not putting myself through that again.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear she's over it. Unfrotantly, it's not as easy as you make it sound, and I'm really struggling with it. I have to go to therapy 3 times a week because of how much anxiety it has caused me. I can't wear it without having an attack, some so bad I have passed out. I also am not putting my life on pause. I will wear a face shield, but a mask still terrifies me, and I'm really trying but I can't wear it. I'm not going to just stay home, because this virus is not going away. if I die from it, it's my time, and at least I get to go to a better place. I personally have lots of mental health problems, and I take medication for anxiety and bipolar depression. My depression got so bad over quartine, and I'm not putting myself through that again.
I am so sorry that you are going through all of that and I hope you know that you are not alone. This pandemic has really taken a toll on the mental health of so many people. Please stay strong and keep pushing forward and you will get through this .

Back