Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My point was that WI specifically has a political issue and the legislature has fought him (and won) when he tries to implement stricter measures. Clearly certain governors have no such issue in their state and implement much more broad measures.

I favor the smaller, local (within a state or specific metro area) events where travel and spectators are limited. Anyone paying attention new this time period would be particularly challenging, why not push season a little out? Furthermore programs are more likely to stay open and keep getting paid if they keep athletes and their families healthy, even if that means competing virtually for the larger Nationals. Seems there is a healthy profit there, Varsity they can certainly choose to pass that on to others down the food chain.

It is truly horrible what has happened to so many in the service and hospitality industry. I've read that over 70% of restaurants are likely to close permanently because government support as a backstop simply is not there.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @CLynn I am no pandemic expert, nor will I pretend to be one. I do believe in our judicial system and I am grateful they are overturning the over step when it comes to our businesses. A ridiculous number of private business owners are taking out hundreds of thousands to millions trying to save their businesses, that's not trivial, it's heart wrenching and in no way does it diminish the tragedy of death. My point to the above poster was you can't point fingers and trivialize an activity for just being an activity when it's paying bills for thousands. I'm not about to tell anyone what Varsity is or isn't capable of doing financially, but what I do know from trying to Google their financials in years past, is they were deep in debt from acquisitions way before this began. I, also, don't know what their contracts state. I understand the frustration, I understand opinions, but without knowing the assets, debt, borrowing capabilities, or contract agreements of any business or person, our opinions are useless. What I keep reiterating to anyone that has concerns is to vocalize it to their gym owners, they ultimately make the decisions on competitions.

3. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It seems a little better today with the mask wearing. Maybe they were told.

4. 123jump4!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Oh... found this on Facebook from Double Down. So the gym must have told the parents to shape up! Good.

URGENT-
    Owners and coaches. Masks are required at all times and must cover your mouth and nose. We will have to pause the competition if the spectators fail to comply and close the doors to spectators tomorrow. Please help us enforce this simple request to keep our athletes safe!

5. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    so I'm not saying this is in all cases, but I personally have pretty extreme anxiety, making it extremely hard/nearly impossible to wear my mask. I am really trying, but every time I wear them it's leading to panic attacks and I have passed out a number of times from it. my doc, said it's making my anxiety much much worse. so when u make comments like its really not that hard, remember that for sone people, it actually is

6. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Have you tried a face shield? I have a student who can’t wear a mask because of anxiety. It also triggers her past trauma. She can handle wearing a face shield.

7. 123jump4!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That sounds rough. Have you tried a thinner cotton one like from Old Navy?

It said in the competition covid guidelines that if you’re over age 2 and unable to wear a mask you can’t come and be a spectator. I believe most of the people who weren’t wearing their masks on day 1 did not have anxiety issues. More like “freedom” issues or “IDGAF” issues. On day 2 they wore their masks while packed into the priority viewing area (because they had been told) and it felt a lot safer.

Face shields were not allowed as substitute @Keep_Believing

• Shimmy Shimmy x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    So was priority viewing same as always or was there an attempt to distance people?

9. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Hey! 1st off thank you for understanding. If u need to take it off to breathe for a few seconds that's fine, but when people have no issues and don't follow the law I can see the frustration. It's also quite, let's say saddening and frustrating that I cant participate in things because I am unable to wear a mask. The only type that I can semi wear for very short, and I'm talking like minute-long at intervals, is a very thin blue disposable. I do try to when a face shield when allowed, but I am not allowed to do that during cheer, and many paces don't allow it. it's frustrating when people come at me and I medically cannot wear it.

10. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I have, and I prefer it a lot! however, many places, including my gym, don't allow it.

11. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Sorry, tripe posting, but mentioning the past trauma thing. As a child, I was extremely claustrophobic. And I feel like the mask has brought it back.

12. 123jump4!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    There were signs saying there should be distancing but it wasn’t enforced in the prio area, which I can understand would have been quite hard. Prio was on one side. It was a low floor. I was on the other side sitting behind the fence. I didn’t think prio was safe even when people were wearing masks.

The athletes also had to wear masks outside of warmups and competing. Our gym I think was the only one to compete in masks. The kids are used to it as they wear them in practice all the time.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I want to preface this by stating I'm not endorsing those of us that can wear a 3-ply mask with no issues wear these, but my PTSD neighbor states this gauze mask with adjustable straps is the only thing he can wear that doesn't make him feel claustrophobic. It's obviously not the best protection for others, but it will stop more droplets than a mask worn below the nose, mouth, or not at all.

Thin breathable 1 ply gauze reusable adult face mask | Etsy

I know retired cp's gym is required to practice in them and showcased with them on. If their sister gyms weren't in them, that's surprising (or, lol, perhaps your child cheers with them now). I, personally, am not a fan of masks for athletes with a lot of twisting tumbling/flying, I've seen a lot of shifting masks in videos, but with that said, it hasn't seemed to be an issue so far.

14. 123jump4!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    There were 2 locations of our gym there (yep she’s back!) and I can’t remember if the smaller location competed in masks or not, but ours did. The matching gym masks don’t fit as well as the personal ones they wear at practice so there were some falling off issues.

15. quietmom

quietmom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    exhaustedmom79
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We had to work with therapists to get our kids with special needs to use their masks and keep them on. There are some alternative options like face shields that are also helpful. You could try what @catlady suggested plus a face shield to keep yourself safe. I'm sorry you are dealing with this on top of the pandemic anxiety. It stinks.