Crazy ideas for improving the all-star industry

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

8. Worlds rotates between Cali and Fl. (or even more locations.) Why should the same teams have to travel further each season?

i actually really like this idea! seems pretty fair to me to change the location between the two locations every year

I didn't want to quote the long post but I think BlueCats idea for having legality officials that are trained by and work for the USASF is a great idea. This is actually something that I could see being adopted rather quickly too because it should benefit all the parties involved... I feel like a lot of ideas get tied up in the process somewhere because it's hard to get gym owners, and event producers from different companies to agree on things, but like I said this would give the USASF a little more quality control over the enforcement of the rules they have put in place and it would take, what I'm a assuming is, a huge hassle off the hands of the event producers, I can't see where anyone would be against it...

Along the same lines I have talked to people for a few years about how judges should be trained and supplied by a third party (or by the USASF I suppose) which would get rid of any responsibility/power the company has over the results and negate any potential bias (actual or imagined) that particular companies have towards particular programs (ie. They won because they are a certain gym, or they brought more teams, or they are friends with people who work for the company etc. etc.). This could also be a way to ensure that all the judges are properly trained or certified, and make it easy to track who had judged what events and potentially even track errors or complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is a wonderful idea. One of my biggest complaints about a lot of judging is how the rules get more strict as you go to larger and more prestigious competitions. I would prefer strict all year so I can fix something the second is being performed in the not legal way of the USASF. I think the USASF using sanctioned people and handling all that would create way more consistent legality judging.

madicheermommy said:
Senior Open 5 should be allowed to throw doubles, just make them a non-worlds division. (I agree that little kids do not need to go to worlds, it should be something to look forward to and worked towards when you are older, IMO). Currently, the ONLY team for a 10 or 11 year old with a double is a Jr 5 and a lot of gyms have trouble fielding this age/level team since every 12 year old with level 5 skills wants to be on a Senior team! It leaves these little tumbling dynamos out in the cold. JMO!
Can "these little tumbling dynamos out in the cold" fly, base, dance and jump level 5??? There is much more to level 5 than an athlete tumbling a double full............

Someday Famous said:
madicheermommy said:
Senior Open 5 should be allowed to throw doubles, just make them a non-worlds division. (I agree that little kids do not need to go to worlds, it should be something to look forward to and worked towards when you are older, IMO). Currently, the ONLY team for a 10 or 11 year old with a double is a Jr 5 and a lot of gyms have trouble fielding this age/level team since every 12 year old with level 5 skills wants to be on a Senior team! It leaves these little tumbling dynamos out in the cold. JMO!
Can "these little tumbling dynamos out in the cold" fly, base, dance and jump level 5??? There is much more to level 5 than an athlete tumbling a double full............
I do not believe senior open 5 should do this at all... There is youth 5 and junior 5... That sall they need. If you have one or two kids or a little more that you cant make a team do like we do and do individuals.

As far as IDs, my grocery store can access my checking account by my fingerprint. I can go in the store without anything in my hands and just scan my finger to pay. If they had some sort of system where the athletes' names and fingerprints were listed and those fingerprints had to match the the team roster when coming into the warmup area, there wouldn't be any upkeep by any individuals. Once the fingerprints are stored, they are in there so no need to re-enter the information every year.

3amigosmom said:
As far as IDs, my grocery store can access my checking account by my fingerprint. I can go in the store without anything in my hands and just scan my finger to pay. If they had some sort of system where the athletes' names and fingerprints were listed and those fingerprints had to match the the team roster when coming into the warmup area, there wouldn't be any upkeep by any individuals. Once the fingerprints are stored, they are in there so no need to re-enter the information every year.

Which grocery store do you go to?

FBI Foods and more!

infinity said:
Someday Famous said:
madicheermommy said:
I do not believe senior open 5 should do this at all... There is youth 5 and junior 5... That sall they need. If you have one or two kids or a little more that you cant make a team do like we do and do individuals.
AGREED! There are those that cannot seem to wrap their heads around the fact that tumbling is NOT the only facet to this sport. Such a set up for team failure with that school of thought.... :no:

BlueCat said:
moving into the likely much less popular ideas:

2 L5 coed divisions: Limited Coed 1-6 males. Coed 7-15 males. That is right. Limiting the max number of males on any 1 team will, in the long run, increase the # of total males competing in the sport overall (insert long dissertation on the economics of large coed teams here . . .)

Couldn't agree more.. The ratio of males to females in competitive cheerleading in no way supports having 4 Sr. 5 coed divisions compared to 2 all-girl divisions. If there is going to be a unlimited coed, semi-limited coed, large limited, small limited then why not a medium all-girl division ? I'm clearly not suggesting this, I agree.. cap the males and fill divisions to increase competitiveness.

BlueCat said:
Let's throw out some crazy ideas that you think might be good for the industry. Kind of like "brainstorming", you don't have to automatically think that they should be implimented right away - just some "food for thought" type stuff. They may even end up being terrible ideas, but maybe they get the thought process going.

I'll start:

1. No more "small gym" or "large gym" divisions. Let gyms declare before the season whether they are Division I or Division II. (roughly like NCAA). This is based on your OWN assessment of your experience/talent level. ALL your teams have to compete in that "division" or category for that season - no switching around competition to competition. ONLY Division I programs are eligible for Worlds. If there are enough teams in a competition division, the event producer splits the teams into D1 and D2.

2. Standardized scoresheet/score system While you are at it, make scores more closely reflect what the athletes want to work on and what the audience wants to see. Option: Let each event producer put their own "multiplier" in front of each category score to "weight" them however they feel is appropriate.

3. Event producers MUST share ALL scores from ALL teams. We want to know why Team A beat Team B so we can all make our routines better. Let the teams keep their own judge comments, but we should be able to see the actual scores.

4. Event producers should only have 1 "Nationals" per year. (multi-brand type events not included.)

5. Fewer divisions at Worlds. If there aren't 15 D1 teams registered nationally in any division, it gets combined with it's closest match. (Example: only 11 Large Seniors around this year? - throw 'em in with the smalls.)

6. Deductions are proportional to the number of skills being thrown. If you only put up 5 stunts, dropping 1 should penalize you even more than if you drop 2 out of 11 (do the math.)

7. Fewer, but larger events. Event producers would even be on board with this. Good luck coming up with a way to make that work, though.

8. Worlds rotates between Cali and Fl. (or even more locations.) Why should the same teams have to travel further each season?

9. Split Dance Worlds and Cheer Worlds into separate events Many people want to do both - why not let them? Different weekends.

completely agree with the idea of spliting dance and cheerleading worlds!

17. Merge divisions by team size, rather than # of males (to a point.)

It is my opinion that Large Senior teams are more like Large Limited than they are like Small Senior. The difference in 16 females affects the what you can do much more than 3-4 males can. When forced to combine because of numbers, these divisions should merge 1st:

Large Senior - Large Limited
Small Senior - Small Limited
Semi-Limited - Unlimited (should actually just be 1 division to start with, but I digress)
Large Junior Coed - Large Junior
Small Junior Coed - Small Junior

I think that the judges can more fairly compare teams with similar size, rather than trying to scale down ratios of skills and fairly compare deductions.

Just gonna say after this weekend I would like to put forth again a universal scoresheet.....

3amigosmom said:

Oh I love this!!! Can't print a FAKE fingerprint!!! I wonder how hard this would be to set up??

BlueCat said:
17. Merge divisions by team size, rather than # of males (to a point.)

I didn't wanna take up too much room quoting your whole post, but I agree with every word you said there.

Back