Crazy ideas for improving the all-star industry

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ceacoach said:
Amen to the 2 coed divisions...still scratching my head over this summer.. Especially after it's all
played out exactly as expected this season. Anyone know why we have 4 senior coed divisions at worlds and only two senior all girl? Love these ideas btw.. Looking forward to this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree there. I think nixing large coed would benefit all involved. While there would be three coed divisions (and two all girl) it would cover all situations of gyms with boys.

You have a small senior team and a boy or two... small small.

You have a large senior team and a boy or two... large small.

You are going for a definite coed feel and coed stunts... the new medium division.

Ceacoach said:
Anyone know why we have 4 senior coed divisions at worlds and only two senior all girl?

I'm guessing most of us already know why we ended up with that particular set of divisions. However, this probably isn't the best place to discuss that.

though each coach has their personal preference about the competitions they like to attend for different reasons, I think a universal scoresheet would be beneficial. with certain scoresheets, difficulty is put aside to make way for execution, and with others you can't hang without a difficult routine. not saying this scoresheet should sway one way or the other, but a happy medium between the two would be ideal for those who like to attend competitions of both types, such as Cheersport and NCA. even a universal rulebook would be nice... we've all had that routine, the one that hits the scoresheet well at one competition, then has illegal elements at another. I feel as if after every competition, routines get slightly "tweaked" for the sake of catering to each company, whether it be a safer stunt, more difficult tumbling section, or getting rid of 'illegal' elements.

and possibly a set of judges who travel between many competitions-- perhaps USASF can delegate those to form an unbiased opinion. i'm sick of the threads/facebook statuses/ etc that say "[insert company here] is unfair because team a has loose ties with the mafia and threatened a certain judge who's sister gets her teeth cleaned by our coach so they wouldn't score us better". or maybe some athletes/ parents that can accept their loss

i dont like the combining of large and small. Think of it this way: We all know not every team out there meets the 20 or 36 member limit. A small team with 12 members etter chance against a team with 20 members than they do with a team who has 25-26 members. But i do think we should get rid of the small gym divisions. Just because a gym is small doesnt mean they cant be good, itd be a more true competition.

Kingston said:
You will have less participation if you move the event farther from where the heart of cheerleading is.

Well, Kingston, I agree - Worlds SHOULD be in Dallas every year. :)

Seriously, Cali would be much closer for the Asian teams. I also think there are more programs in the West than you think. For that matter, increasing total participation in Worlds is not a big concern. The majority of teams that SHOULD be there will be there going there regardless of which coast it is on.

Maybe 1 Cali, 2 FL, 1 Cali, 2 FL rotation?

Brings me to:

#11. Move Worlds out of Milk House. That venue is NOT up to the standards of the event itself. Even the Orange County Convention Center down the street would be a marked improvement venue-wise. (The Anaheim Convention Center across the street from Disneyland would be perfect, by the way.) We either need dramatically fewer teams or a bigger, better venue (or both).

#12 Sport-wide adoption of the CheerSport marking system. The horizontal lines make formations easier & routines safer. The clean programs (sorry Stingrays) will cry foul, thinking it diminishes a competitive advantage, but it just makes too much sense. Don't worry, Orange will still be cleaner than everyone else.

Ceacoach said:
Amen to the 2 coed divisions...still scratching my head over this summer.. Especially after it's all
played out exactly as expected this season. Anyone know why we have 4 senior coed divisions at worlds and only two senior all girl? Love these ideas btw.. Looking forward to this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since girls can be on the coed teams there is plenty of opportunity for girls to compete at Worlds.

1. Standardized judging standard with review of tapes by sanctioning organization and peers, along with ongoing peer review and sanctions. The judges know who does it right, let them decide who judges. And I would prefer ongoing evaluation and training, name and history available to the gyms and owners at least 2 months before any competition.
2. Coaches have the right to demand tape review and evaluation of any top 5 team finish at nationals and Worlds, or, automatic tape review of Top 3 at all nationals and worlds with the review, tape and score sheets posted on line for all to see.
3. Mandatory tape review of Top 5 at Worlds, or all teams with in a predesignated range for each competition in regards to deductions, documented or missed and skills count.
4. Official review of all "high value" deductions such as illegal skills, out of bounds if requested by the coach. Systems must be readily available at the event to both the staffs and judges, along with sheets from the division.

Replying to king's repsonse about rotating states/venues for worlds

i think regardless of where "cheer started" if it started in FL,TX,NY,ALASKA. i dont think it really matters where it started the competitors and coaches are going to worlds for one thing and that is to get that worlds ring. not to know where cheer started.

i think it would be a great thing to move worlds kids getting to travel see new places bigger venues.
i think usasf should start doing them at like stadiums/collesiums

BlueCat - If you were to put your list in order of implementation, what order would they be in? I used in order of implementation in case 1 idea is dependent on another.

#13 Have "unofficial" results available before awards ceremonies.
I may lose a lot of people on this one, but hear me out. It is incredibly difficult to learn you are in 2nd place at Worlds (or whatever place at whatever event) under the microscope of everyone staring at your team the very moment you find out. Any wrong gesture or expression immediately gets immediately taken as poor sportsmanship. It is much easier on the athlete to learn their scores elsewhere and compose themselves before the awards ceremonies. I hate the "well they should have been happy to be 2nd, I know I would" argument thrown about. Under the current system, the very moment your name is called out is NOT usually pleasant. (If there are only 2 teams left, it is typically a let-down to THEN hear that you are 2nd out of those 2.)

Also, I have found more mistakes in judging than you can imagine. Tabulation errors, scoring out of range, erroneous deductions, etc. Coaches should be able to review their scoresheets before the results are "final", trophies given out, jackets/rings sized, and the lights are turned out. It is usually too late to fix a mistake at that point.

This is a little less exciting for the crowd, but better for the athletes and teams, IMO. I probably won't get much agreement on this one, I know. However, name another sport where you learn your results at the award ceremony.

Andre said:
BlueCat - If you were to put your list in order of implementation, what order would they be in? I used in order of implementation in case 1 idea is dependent on another.

umm, I was just writing them down as I thought of them. I'd have to think about that.

i agree with only one national a year, but i dont think we should combine large and small and if they were they shouldnt be scored the same.

BlueCat said:
#13 Have "unofficial" results available before awards ceremonies.
I may lose a lot of people on this one, but hear me out. It is incredibly difficult to learn you are in 2nd place at Worlds (or whatever place at whatever event) under the microscope of everyone staring at your team the very moment you find out. Any wrong gesture or expression immediately gets immediately taken as poor sportsmanship. It is much easier on the athlete to learn their scores elsewhere and compose themselves before the awards ceremonies. I hate the "well they should have been happy to be 2nd, I know I would" argument thrown about. Under the current system, the very moment your name is called out is NOT usually pleasant. (If there are only 2 teams left, it is typically a let-down to THEN hear that you are 2nd out of those 2.)

Also, I have found more mistakes in judging than you can imagine. Tabulation errors, scoring out of range, erroneous deductions, etc. Coaches should be able to review their scoresheets before the results are "final", trophies given out, jackets/rings sized, and the lights are turned out. It is usually too late to fix a mistake at that point.

This is a little less exciting for the crowd, but better for the athletes and teams, IMO. I probably won't get much agreement on this one, I know. However, name another sport where you learn your results at the award ceremony.

I think I would also only call out the top 3.

Back