Creating A Recreational Cheer Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 24, 2014
I am considering creating a new rec team in my community. This would be a team that does not cheer for any teams but specifically would like to compete in local or regional competitions. I wouldn't want to be considered All-Star as we wouldn't be affiliated with a gym or have access to equipment that All-Star teams have. What divisions would we be eligible to compete in? What resouces are there out there that I could speak to help us get started? TIA

In order to be a rec team, your main goal has to be to cheer for another sport. You are not supposed to be competition only. If you don't want to go the allstar route, then UCA created the club division a year or two ago. What you're describing sounds like it aligns closest with the club division.

Allstar prep divisions could also be an option if you don't want to or have access to UCA competitions.

There are a few gyms in our area that are competing performance rec that have full gyms and don't cheer for another sport. I still haven't been able to figure out how.

In order to be a rec team, your main goal has to be to cheer for another sport. You are not supposed to be competition only. If you don't want to go the allstar route, then UCA created the club division a year or two ago. What you're describing sounds like it aligns closest with the club division.

Allstar prep divisions could also be an option if you don't want to or have access to UCA competitions.

This is what I thought... I have parents who want this team and I'm willing to do it but want to do it right. It would also be completely non-profit. I think I have a starting place. It's going to be a big undertaking though.

Doesn't USASF have a club division? Is this available to compete at most competitions?

In some states if you are a non profit organization you can be "competition only"

I know this because I know people who just started a very program like this in my neighboring town <3

I assume it might depend on state laws ?

In some states if you are a non profit organization you can be "competition only"

I know this because I know people who just started a very program like this in my neighboring town <3

I assume it might depend on state laws ?
Yes, getting non-profit status is tricky... I will have a committee to help with this type of thing. I am not in this to make money or open a gym. There is a good of families that want to create their own program.

Yes, getting non-profit status is tricky... I will have a committee to help with this type of thing. I am not in this to make money or open a gym. There is a good of families that want to create their own program.

Getting non profit status costs between $700 and $1500
And takes about a year to get done.
It's a process for sure. Legal zoom
Can help you with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CP's team has nonprofit status, it is a process to get it and it can cost around $700 to get it. You also will need to make sure you keep detailed records of all money coming in and going out as well as doing the requirements every year to keep your nonprofit status. Once you have it though you can file for grants, especially for equipment.

This is not true with the introduction of the Performance Rec division. The team does need to be associated with a community program such as Boys & Girls Club, YMCA, SKIES, CYS (assuming original poster is military), etc.

Recreation Scoring, Rules & Restrictions

All Recreational Teams will follow the USASF Rules and Regulations for the levels in which they are competing. To view those rules, please visit USASF Cheer Rules

Scoring Grids and Level Appropriate Skills documents can be found at Varsity All Star Cheerleading - Varsity Scoring

Performance Rec is defined as a competitive rec division that has level restrictions and will be judged on the Varsity All Star Score Sheet, and follow the level guidelines for All Star cheer set forth by USASF.net. Teams in Performance Rec divisions often practice more, have competition practices and/or compete on a regular basis.

Traditional Rec is defined as a lower commitment and/or entry-level competitive rec division that has level restrictions and will be judged on the Varsity All Star Prep Score Sheet. Teams in Traditional Rec divisions typically practice less than Performance Rec teams, focus on cheering for their organization’s athletic teams and/or compete very sporadically.

In order to maintain the integrity of these Traditional Rec divisions, the following skill caps will be in place:

1) No basket tosses allowed at any level

2) No stunt quantity or coed quantity requirement

3) Jumps are capped to the 4.8 range

4) Stunt difficulty, pyramid difficulty, standing tumbling difficulty and running tumbling difficulty are capped at the LOW range

Programs must choose one style (Performance or Traditional) and all teams within the program must compete in these divisions.

Recreational Cheerleading – "Rec Cheer"

Varsity recognizes that Recreational Cheerleading does not have an official governing body to refer to, and that Rec Cheer Teams may have different guidelines to follow within their individual organizations. Please adhere to the guidelines set forth by your organization, and select the division that best fits both the age and abilities of the athletes on the team so that your team will be given the best opportunity for success at Varsity events.

For the purpose of competing at Varsity events, both Traditional and Performance Rec Cheer is defined below. All teams competing in these divisions must meet these criteria in order to compete in these divisions:

1. Must be affiliated with, report to, and be governed by an organization such as the following:

a. YMCA

b. Boys and Girls Club

c. City/County Parks and Recreation Program

d. Community Youth Organization

e. Pop Warner Association

f. Any other community run program not associated or affiliated with a school or all-star program

2. A team must be able to prove their relationship and affiliation with their said organization if requested. Their organization’s President or higher seated authority must submit a formal letter stating their endorsement.

3. 50% of the team must have cheered for a sport (i.e. football or basketball) with that association or organization within the current cheer season.

Proof must be provided upon request.

a. If the organization the team is representing or associated with does not offer cheering for a sport (i.e. basketball or football), this rule may be waived only if the president or higher seated official writes a letter to the event producer informing them this option is not available. This is the only reason a team should not be allowed to cheer for a sport. This also does not guarantee you will be allowed to compete in a rec division.

4. A team may not have more than 25% all star athletes on its teams. Proof must be provided upon request.

5. Participants may not represent more than one recreational program in a season. Proof must be provided upon request.

A Recreational/Organizational Cheerleading team may do or have the following:

1. Can hold tryouts.

2. Can have their own practice facility or gym.

3. Can practice and/or attend tumbling classes at gymnastics or All Star cheer facilities.

4. Can combine team members from other teams within the organization.

If a team does not meet all of the above criteria they may be disqualified.

Rec Cheer Teams who do not cheer for a sport, or are affiliated with all-star programs or schools, even if it is a half-year or introductory team, will need to register in the all-star, prep cheer or school division that best suits their ability level at Varsity events. They are NOT considered Rec Cheer teams and cannot register in the Rec Cheer Divisions listed above for Varsity events.

Last edited:
Do note that at least in the UCA world (and in all local competitions in my area) Rec teams follow the school format and score sheet - ie they do 1:30 music/1:00 cheer.

Do note that at least in the UCA world (and in all local competitions in my area) Rec teams follow the school format and score sheet - ie they do 1:30 music/1:00 cheer.

I was just going to say this !
We also follow the same score sheet as school cheer, and not the varsity standard sheet that uses a matrix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back