High School Creative Ways To Let Girls Know They Have Made The Team.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 13, 2012
I am a new high school varsity coach and I will be holding my first try outs on May 10th. I am looking for a creative way to announce who has made the team.

Put them in different rooms like American idol does when they have to cut a bunch of people. Or line them up onstage and have them step forward like SYTYCD does.
Or use a firing squad (the ones that don't make it die inside anyway).

Totally cruel but definitely creative!

Post the numbers of the girls who made the team on the website or the door of the school on a Friday evening (that way they have the weekend to process). Then you send an email to everyone who made the team with the names of all the team members, that way they aren't asking "did you make it?". Personally call each girl who didn't. Tell them where they scored well and what they need to work on for next year.

I am a new varsity coach too and I was thinking about being creative... but I think the best way is to just post the numbers.

I really wish I could do it in score order.. b/c some girls make varsity by a pinch or just make the team all together by a pinch... I am not that cruel though :)

As a cheer parent, I believe that posting the numbers a website either Friday night or Saturday morning works best!! It gives the girls time to process before returning to school on Monday.

My earlier comment was all joking and kidding around. I do think the best way is to post results online over the weekend. A team I coach gets letters mailed to them and I received a letter every year for college. The drama of a posted list on the door was crazy at a local school this year. One girl (a sr) was banging her head against a brick wall because she didn't make it. Yikes!

When I was cheering in HS the coach called everyone, I liked that. You don't have to see it with everyone else there too.
In college they got everyone together and when your number was called you lined up. That was the team, everyone else was sitting there watching.
In other sports there are cuts. Kids need to learn to deal with disappointment and not reaching their goals. I fully believe in telling a kid WHY they didn't make the team-what they can do to improve for next time.

I am also thinking of doing an email w/ a BCC of varsity and a seperate JV... I don't like the list idea.. need to check w/ assistants

I send an email. When I have had a team website, I have posted it there. The next morning, I also post the list on my classroom door (I teach here, too) and have the list read on the morning announcements.

In the email, I always make suggestions of what girls can do if they do not make the team - there is a local gymnastics/cheer gym that I recommend, and I always recommend our local no-cuts recreational team, too.

The school I used to coach at requires you call each girl in one at a time and tell them whether or not they made it. If they didn't you are to suggest things that they can work on for next year.

A school near me posts the girls' tryout numbers on their website and color codes them by score. So if they cored in the 90's their number might be blue, if they scored in the 80's it might be red, etc. And the last girl was in the bottom range by herself. Of course, I don't know who that girl is just be her number but I'm sure the girls that tried out do.

a few teams give each girls an envelope, like pledging a sorority. then you leave campus and open your envelope. The envelope indicates if you made a team or not. If you made a team, your envelope is an invitation to welcome the new team party Monday after school. If you didnt make the team, you can deal with it in peace without having to see all the girls who did make it.

When I was in high school, way before computers, we were told that we would receive a phone call that night so we all stayed home (again, no computers, no cell phones so life was much easier to control) and the girls that made it had 2 senior girls come pick you up at your house and take you to another cheerleaders house for a congratulations party. The next day at school it was announced and we each had to wear a flower so you stood out and felt special. Unfortunately if you didn't make it they just sat at home and waited by the phone for a call that never came so that part would be hard, I would suggest (as mentioned above) to call the kids who didn't make it and tell them why and what they should work on for the next year.

Back