High School Creative Ways To Let Girls Know They Have Made The Team.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We had teacher recommendations but we couldn't see them after they were done. The teachers had to seal the envelope and sign over the seal. My teachers would just be like "yeah I gave you all 10s" but Obviously they wouldn't have told me what I got if I was a bad student. I liked it because I feel like the coach doesn't necessarily get to know everyone before tryouts and it can be very telling. Plus I listen and get good grades so it couldn't hurt me. It was worth 30% of our tryout score, so quite a bit.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
We did it the same way! And you needed a Coach's evaluation from your coach from the year before.

We each had a sealed envelope with our names, and one at a time we'd be given them with the option to open there or someplace else. If we had any questions we could email the coaches. Inside were results, contact info and if you made the team, anything you'd need to know about the upcoming season. It was very simple, no muss or fuss and gave everyone the option of privacy to find out whether they made it or not.

If you made the team you'd then be informed in person at the first practice about whether or not your were an alternate, and the things that you could work on to be better/the things you did very well.

The coach said at our meeting last night that she will call the girls who do NOT make the team before posting the list online.

I have two cps trying out. We have cheer clinic all week and try outs are Friday afternoon. There is a UCAperson coming for the clinic and three different UCA people coming to judge try outs with the coach.

The girls aren't allowed to wear cheer shoes for tryouts-- or anything that says cheer or anything to do with cheerleading on it. CP is worried about trying to tumble in regular running shoes. Coach said no bows or clothes from Varsity either. Good thing my cps only bows are ones that I made!

Hoping the phone doesn't ring Friday evening!

ETA: There are no teacher evaluations this year. You can score up to 15 points for grades (95-100=15 points). There are 100 points from each of the three judges, 100 points from the coach, and 15 points for grades for a total of 415 points.

The girls aren't allowed to wear cheer shoes for tryouts-- or anything that says cheer or anything to do with cheerleading on it. CP is worried about trying to tumble in regular running shoes. Coach said no bows or clothes from Varsity either. Good thing my cps only bows are ones that I made!
I find it weird that they can't wear cheer shoes. There's no way in heck I do my best flying in running sneakers.

I find it weird that they can't wear cheer shoes. There's no way in heck I do my best flying in running sneakers.
Coach doesn't want anything that indicates that they have cheered previously. I guess I understand. Only one of mine tumbles. We are trying to figure out which pair of shoes to wear that are light and don't completely clash with the outfit she has picked out. I don't know if they are stunting during tryouts. I forgot to ask at the parent meeting.

Coach doesn't want anything that indicates that they have cheered previously. I guess I understand. Only one of mine tumbles. We are trying to figure out which pair of shoes to wear that are light and don't completely clash with the outfit she has picked out. I don't know if they are stunting during tryouts. I forgot to ask at the parent meeting.
I've tumbled in my Nike Free running shoes before. Actually not too bad and they are super light so that was nice! But that wasn't for cheer tryouts lol, just wanted a tuck picture in front of the Disney Castle :D

My cps discovered cheer a bit older. My younger cp is working on her tuck, but has a pretty solid standing and running bhs. My oldest almost has her standing bhs, but will possibly never get it running because of a bad round-off.

So, we aren't looking at elite tumbling passes, but it is still a different feel. We have tumbling tonight and she will wear running shoes.

The Varsity team is competitive so every single girl trying out has cheered before (and if you go to the school, you already know they have anyway) so I don't have that rule.

Also, coaches judge the tryout so we know who was here last year anyway. It doesn't matter, nor does it sway scores.

Clinic attire (4 days of mandatory clinics) = Soffe or Pro type blue or gold short + any blue, gold, or white tee or tank. Many girls wear their practice wear from last season or JV. Some will wear tees from all stars if the colors match. Cheer shoes are a must (again, varsity team so everyone has at least one pair.) Any blue, gold, or white bow. No sports bras.

We do have set attire for tryout DAY though.

Tryout day:

White tee or tank top. Fitted.
Blue or gold (solid) shorts.
Blue, gold, or white bow.
High pony curled.
Cheer shoes.
"Game day pretty" make up (we cover it at clinics.)

It's really all a test in who CAN FOLLOW DIRECTIONS moreso than who can look cute or most like a cheerleader. If I said blue shorts and you show up in neon green shorts and half up hair with pouf like you're trying out for the mother of all all star teams, you are incapable of following directions, are probably going to give me a hard time, and ain't nobody got time for that.

I don't tell the girls they can't wear cheerleading related clothing, but they are not allowed to wear a shirt with their name on it, this pretty much eliminates prior years shirts. They must wear red, grey, black, or white shorts with a red, grey, black, or white shirt (those are somewhat our colors). Hair must be away from the face, up in a ponytail (if long enough), and normal game make-up.

As far as judging panel, I am not allowed to judge, which kinda sucks, but I do pick the judges! I have a coach's evaluation that I do that counts for 25 points, teacher evaluations (3 of them) for 75 points, grade/behavior deductions based on prior team conduct such as quitting/dismissal, ineligibility, excessive tardiness, any school related behavioral reprimands, and then the judges scores which are 200 points each. Yes, it's a lot of points, but they must perform all the jumps, tumbling, group cheer, group dance, school song, and sideline for tryouts. There is also going to be an informal interview to try and weed out the ones who just want to look pretty on the sideline. So, while I don't get to directly judge, I have worked for countless hours to devise a tryout that will yield me the best candidates.

I don't tell the girls they can't wear cheerleading related clothing, but they are not allowed to wear a shirt with their name on it, this pretty much eliminates prior years shirts. They must wear red, grey, black, or white shorts with a red, grey, black, or white shirt (those are somewhat our colors). Hair must be away from the face, up in a ponytail (if long enough), and normal game make-up.

As far as judging panel, I am not allowed to judge, which kinda sucks, but I do pick the judges! I have a coach's evaluation that I do that counts for 25 points, teacher evaluations (3 of them) for 75 points, grade/behavior deductions based on prior team conduct such as quitting/dismissal, ineligibility, excessive tardiness, any school related behavioral reprimands, and then the judges scores which are 200 points each. Yes, it's a lot of points, but they must perform all the jumps, tumbling, group cheer, group dance, school song, and sideline for tryouts. There is also going to be an informal interview to try and weed out the ones who just want to look pretty on the sideline. So, while I don't get to directly judge, I have worked for countless hours to devise a tryout that will yield me the best candidates.
We have the same school colors and initials! :chestbump:

Does it bug anyone else that school cheer is treated so differently than other school sports? My cp isn't in middle school yet, but my son is. He is an athlete...and tryouts for all sports are HARD. There are usually 100+ kids trying out for each sport. In the boys sports, it is based on skill and talent. There are no teacher recommendations, you just need to meet the minimum grade requirement to play. Which is fine...it is consistent. But cheerleaders have to get recommendations? I'm not worried about it for my cp, who knows, she may not even want to try out. But I hate the double standard. As an AS mom, I KNOW how much this is a sport and the athleticism of the kids. I hate it being treated different than the other sports at the school level. The best should make it, period, just like the football team, basketball team, soccer...whether your teachers think you are a "good girl" should be irrelevant. They certainly don't do that for football!

Does it bug anyone else that school cheer is treated so differently than other school sports? My cp isn't in middle school yet, but my son is. He is an athlete...and tryouts for all sports are HARD. There are usually 100+ kids trying out for each sport. In the boys sports, it is based on skill and talent. There are no teacher recommendations, you just need to meet the minimum grade requirement to play. Which is fine...it is consistent. But cheerleaders have to get recommendations? I'm not worried about it for my cp, who knows, she may not even want to try out. But I hate the double standard. As an AS mom, I KNOW how much this is a sport and the athleticism of the kids. I hate it being treated different than the other sports at the school level. The best should make it, period, just like the football team, basketball team, soccer...whether your teachers think you are a "good girl" should be irrelevant. They certainly don't do that for football!

I get your point and agree that cheerleading tryouts should be more like other sports. I think it's silly that some HS coaches have to bring in outside judges and can't pick their own team. Teacher recommendations are a good thing in my mind though. As a coach (AS not HS), I would much prefer to know what kind of kid I'm getting. If your CP doesn't give a poo in her classes, it's a good assumption that she won't give a poo at practice. I don't care if she's talented, if she's a pain the butt to deal with then I don't want to coach her. Attitude is everything.

I think teacher recommendations are a good lead up to the real world too. Future employers require references, check social media accounts, and run background checks. Let's teach kids early that what you do in your outside life still impacts your sport/job.

Back