Crooked Legs In Bhs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
One of the girls I spot in their bhs during practice is stuck. She tries really hard but her legs are always crooked at least in the second half of the bhs. Sometimes even right away. We have worked on her problem with not jumping back but only up so that is coming along okay but I'm at a loss as to how I can help her get her legs straight.
I've tried telling her to fall back and really push off her toes and keep those legs straight but it's not really helping.

I'd be really, really thankful for any drills to specifically tackle this problem...

You can drill her on pushing through her toes and pointing her toes out of the jump back. This forces the legs to go straight. If not, you can always use the old school technique of putting a band around her ankles for her to get the concept. It's more of a conditioning issue.

You can drill her on pushing through her toes and pointing her toes out of the jump back. This forces the legs to go straight. If not, you can always use the old school technique of putting a band around her ankles for her to get the concept. It's more of a conditioning issue.

... Likewise... I have my athletes out the ball of their feet on a raised surface... Like edge of landing mat... Something that forces them to push through their toes as they are the only thing left to push through

Thank you for your tips! I'll try them all and will get a video tomorrow!

Tying my daughters shoes together helped a lot. We tried it last week and I had her do 25 in a row. The difference is amazing. Every night I still tie her shoes together just to reinforce it and make sure it's committed to memory

CP had that problem for awhile. Once she was solidly throwing BHS's (ugly ones, but she always landed them) her coach put bands just above her knees, ankles, and around her feet. Then she had her throwing the BHS. That helped a lot and quickly! She removed one band at a time as she got better. Now she has straight legs and it's beautiful!

We got a kick at watching the girls hop around the floor since they couldn't walk ;-)
Good luck!

CP had that problem for awhile. Once she was solidly throwing BHS's (ugly ones, but she always landed them) her coach put bands just above her knees, ankles, and around her feet. Then she had her throwing the BHS. That helped a lot and quickly! She removed one band at a time as she got better. Now she has straight legs and it's beautiful!

We got a kick at watching the girls hop around the floor since they couldn't walk ;-)
Good luck!
I do that with my kids!

Good luck!

I am sooo going to try that tonight!! :D

Some people recommend the Core Athletics DeFrogger:
DeFrogger
I could never get my CP to try it, although she could definitely benefit from it. Her coach has her put a piece of plain paper in between her knees and throw her BHS trying to keep the paper from falling. This has definitely helped.

Back