All-Star Crossovers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 13, 2015
i know almost every gym uses them, but I was wondering people's thoughts on it. Does it become to much for the athletes? And what about a level 5 athlete crossing over to a level 1?

Having to juggle multiple routines, practicing with both, and having to compete multiple times a day must be hard as is, but if an athlete is willing to do it then all power to them.

What I don't get is CEA levels of crossovers. I could understand if you have a smaller gym with less of an athlete pool and you have some cross overs, but bigger gyms doing it seems kind of dumb.

i know almost every gym uses them, but I was wondering people's thoughts on it. Does it become to much for the athletes? And what about a level 5 athlete crossing over to a level 1?

Once the season gets going and injuries and other events take kids out it's complex getting a replacement. I have a J4 who crosses to a J2. All her friends are on the J2 team and it's means the world to her to perform and help in anyway for that team. It's been a great experience so far.

There was a Sr5 crossed to Sr2 last year and it was another great experience because the right people were together.

Many factors come into play when athletes cross over. I think the gym we are at does a great job with crossovers. It is very time consuming on the kids and parents. My daughter is at the gym 5 days a week and is a freshman with decent grades.

I don't have an opinion on level 5 crossing to 1 it seems highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind crossovers that go 1 level, especially smaller teams where athletes are crossing 4/5. I also don't mind athletes crossing to try a new spot. A level 4/5 base crossing to fly level 2/3 makes sense to me as their skill set and ability in the different positions could be very different. Stacking a level 1 with level 5 athletes just seems like cheating to me. There needs to be some challenge to the athletes for me

I think the summit rule of crossing one level only should b a year round rule! My daughter had crossed over most of her age eligible years. It depends on the child and family situation if an athlete is able to do it.

I am not a huge fan of crossing over. I understand that there are circumstances where it is necessary.
Small gyms need it. If you don't qualify for D2, then you don't need it except for injuries or to even out your squad numbers.
If you have a team of 20 and 12 of them are crossovers, then I think that is wrong.
I don't like when they take a youth aged kid and have them crossover on junior or senior to fly (I am a strong believer that it is important to be on age appropriate squads).
I do know of a local gym that has a level 5 kid crossing over on a level 1 squad. I don't even understand why a level 5 kid would want to be on a level 1 squad.

We have 2 mini 1s that cross to a junior 2 (we have no youth team since we're a tiny program still). 2 Junior 2s cross to Senior 4.2. Only certain kids are chosen to cross over, depending on skill and maturity etc. Crossovers always terrify me a bit as a coach, but so far those aren't our kids who have been injured.

But Level 5 to level 1? Why??

I am not a huge fan of crossing over. I understand that there are circumstances where it is necessary.
Small gyms need it. If you don't qualify for D2, then you don't need it except for injuries or to even out your squad numbers.
If you have a team of 20 and 12 of them are crossovers, then I think that is wrong.
I don't like when they take a youth aged kid and have them crossover on junior or senior to fly (I am a strong believer that it is important to be on age appropriate squads).
I do know of a local gym that has a level 5 kid crossing over on a level 1 squad. I don't even understand why a level 5 kid would want to be on a level 1 squad.

Our gym doesn't qualify for D2. We have had about 90 athletes at our primary location and about 30 at a smaller location over an hour away. No crossover between gyms but both must go D1 because of shared ownership. No way either gym could make it without crossing over. The main gym has about 15 athletes crossing and they make the difference in being able to offer small, level appropriate teams to almost everyone that have a chance of being successful. It isn't practical to expect level and age appropriate for everyone. We have youth aged athletes on junior teams and junior aged athletes on senior teams. It is necessary to field level appropriate teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not opposed to crossovers. I definitely think there are legitimate reasons for having them- regardless of gym size. There are kids that base on one team and fly on another team- they are developing both skills which will be beneficial for them in the future. Or flying on both a youth and junior team within 1 level of each other. Or there are athletes that one portion of their skills is higher than the other (basing, flying, tumbling,etc) and 2 teams gives them an opportunity to shine in all areas.

Crossing over is not for everyone. Mine only crossed over for two seasons, from a J3 to a S4 and the following season a J4 to a S5, before aging out of juniors. But that was our gym's policy - your age appropriate team was your main team and crossing over to an older team was a privilege. While it was nice to have two times to see her at every competition, I found the additional nights of practice exhausting for all of us, plus it was not fun when she either had way too much or not enough time in between each team competing. It was however really the only way for her to continue advancing in all of her skills.

Last edited:
We actually have 3 girls that cross over from a Junior 2 to a Senior 5 and they fly on both teams. I feel bad for them since they are at the gym so much. I did find out recently that they are older than they look so it's not like they are at the min age for Senior at least.. Still it does make for some really long comp days..

We actually have 3 girls that cross over from a Junior 2 to a Senior 5 and they fly on both teams. I feel bad for them since they are at the gym so much. I did find out recently that they are older than they look so it's not like they are at the min age for Senior at least.. Still it does make for some really long comp days..

They would have to be at least 12 at the beginning of the season for senior 5.

It is possible to be a D1 gym and have the number of athletes of a small gym. Our gym is D1 but we only have three full year teams, all small teams too. Small jr 1, small jr2, small senior coed 3. And we don't even max out the number of athletes at the small limit of 20. All D1 gyms are not the same as the main gym location they are associated with

There is a gym about 2 hours away from us that has girls crossover to three teams! mini1 to J5. (which I don't think is right) for a gym to do)...I could not even imagine trying to do 3 teams! We do two and its hard to keep track of.

Back