All-Star Crossovers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There is a gym about 2 hours away from us that has girls crossover to three teams! mini1 to J5. (which I don't think is right) for a gym to do)...I could not even imagine trying to do 3 teams! We do two and its hard to keep track of.
There is a mega gym where this is routine. Most of their teams practice one day a week.

What if your a super dooper small gym and you can only have 2 teams (a junior stunt group "team" and a senior stunt group "team".) What if the junior team has 4 athletes and the sr team has 5 athletes. In total, they have 2 crossovers between these 2 teams. Is this allowed or do you HAVE to have a junior duet "team" and a 5-athlete senior team? OR, well the competition producers let it slide and you can have a senior team with 2 underaged athletes on it?

What if your a super dooper small gym and you can only have 2 teams (a junior stunt group "team" and a senior stunt group "team".) What if the junior team has 4 athletes and the sr team has 5 athletes. In total, they have 2 crossovers between these 2 teams. Is this allowed or do you HAVE to have a junior duet "team" and a 5-athlete senior team? OR, well the competition producers let it slide and you can have a senior team with 2 underaged athletes on it?
Crossovers are legal, as long as a single athlete doesn't compete on more than 3 teams, so there'd be no reason that legal-aged crossovers wouldn't be permitted in this particular situation. However,you need 5 athletes to register as a team, so that would likely not even count towards an athlete's 3 teams.

Crossovers are legal, as long as a single athlete doesn't compete on more than 3 teams, so there'd be no reason that legal-aged crossovers wouldn't be permitted in this particular situation. However,you need 5 athletes to register as a team, so that would likely not even count towards an athlete's 3 teams.
oh ok, so its ok if you have like 2 8 year olds on a senior team in this particular situation? Alright, thanks! I've always wondered this.:p

I don't mind crossovers that go 1 level, especially smaller teams where athletes are crossing 4/5. I also don't mind athletes crossing to try a new spot. A level 4/5 base crossing to fly level 2/3 makes sense to me as their skill set and ability in the different positions could be very different. Stacking a level 1 with level 5 athletes just seems like cheating to me. There needs to be some challenge to the athletes for me

I agree with all of this. I think there should be a two level rule. If your highest level is 5 you should only be able to crossover to a 3 or 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granted, I do school cheer but it's run very different here to the usa. We had several girls on our team on level 4/5 allstar teams and because we compete at the same competitions they were basically crossing over. Several of them have told me the hardest thing is dealing with time (changing uniforms, juggling practices etc.) Personally I agree that level 5 athletes should only be allowed to crossover level 3/4 but at the same time, i'm forever grateful for the experience that high level athletes brought to my team this past season and I was able to learn a lot from them.

My CP is crossing Y2 to Y1 this season. She loves every minute of it. Luckily, practices are back to back, so we only HAVE to be there 3 days a week (but we are usually there 4-5 days with tumbling and privates). CP is extremely lucky since she is crossing with 3 of her best friends and they are a tight-knit group so they are having the time of their lives and together are self-sufficient. Another factor that makes it work is that both teams share the same assistant coach, so she takes them from A to B, helps change them and she helps schedule it so both teams don't conflict.

I do have to admit that Comp Weeks are tough. Exhaustion does hit with 3.5 hours of constant full outs. We have been lucky so far that the awards have either been at the same time, or spread out so late in the day, that she hasn't missed anything.

We have been really lucky this season- spoiled almost!

I am not a huge fan of crossing over. I understand that there are circumstances where it is necessary.
Small gyms need it. If you don't qualify for D2, then you don't need it except for injuries or to even out your squad numbers.
If you have a team of 20 and 12 of them are crossovers, then I think that is wrong.
I don't like when they take a youth aged kid and have them crossover on junior or senior to fly (I am a strong believer that it is important to be on age appropriate squads).
I do know of a local gym that has a level 5 kid crossing over on a level 1 squad. I don't even understand why a level 5 kid would want to be on a level 1 squad.

I agree that some use it just to stack the deck but I don't understand the issue with a youth aged kid crossing over to junior or senior to fly. My CP wants to fly and can't do that on a youth team as their are 7-8 year olds flying on youth so the 10-11 year olds learn to base on youth and continue to fly on junior. It gives them a chance to learn to base since eventually many have to switch at some point in time. I personally don't look at it the same as using level 4-5 bases to base on a level 2 team.

Regarding crossing from Level 5 to Level 1: I've always found it funny that these girls and guys who can do fulls, etc have a hard time doing a bridge kickover or back walkover. Even some of our girls on level 2 have a tough time with BKOs.
I forget the team but I did find it cool seeing a worlds team where the flyers did a BWO into their stunt :)

I agree that some use it just to stack the deck but I don't understand the issue with a youth aged kid crossing over to junior or senior to fly. My CP wants to fly and can't do that on a youth team as their are 7-8 year olds flying on youth so the 10-11 year olds learn to base on youth and continue to fly on junior. It gives them a chance to learn to base since eventually many have to switch at some point in time. I personally don't look at it the same as using level 4-5 bases to base on a level 2 team.

In my own perfect world, those 7-8 year olds would not even be on the youth team. Is there any reason that they are not on your mini 1 or mini 2 squad?

In my own perfect world, those 7-8 year olds would not even be on the youth team. Is there any reason that they are not on your mini 1 or mini 2 squad?
There are so many reasons that a 7/8 year old would be on a Youth team:
- The gym doesn't have enough athletes for mini teams
- The athlete is a level 2/3 and the only level appropriate teams are youth
- The athlete crosses from a mini to a youth team

In a perfect world, all gyms would have age/level appropriate teams for all athletes, but unfortunately that's just not the case. Lots of gyms place "age first" and then "level second" and will allow an athlete to cross up to a level appropriate team. Other gyms only field youth teams (6-11) and senior teams (11-18) either because their athlete count is small or because that's how their business model works.

They have level 3 skills so a mini prep 1 wouldn't be a good placement. I don't believe they have had a mini level 2 so that makes it difficult. When my daughter was younger they were able to field a y4 but that seems to be rare so even at 8 we wouldn't have prefered a mini 2. I think at a large gym with mini prep, mini 1, mini 2, youth 1, youth 2 etc it may be different but most gyms aren't able to field all of those teams.

Back