All-Star crossovers!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree some teams should use cross overs to fill in spots to make a full small team, for example you have 17 jr level 2 girls I thinking having 3 cross down to fill in would be ok. But why take 1/2 of your level 4 team to a level 2 .. instead of keeping 36, make it a small team of girls who actually have level 2 skills. I guess it just aggravates me

My daughter was a crossover for a couple of years and I have to say that it took a toll on her. That is a LOT of practice, preparing for two teams. It's tough on the athlete!

I think too many people assume that kids have the higher skill when they cross levels. Maybe, in some gyms but definitely not in our case. My daughter is on a level 3 team and crosses up to a level 5 team. I say cross up cause in reality the level 3 team is her team but she is strong as an ox when it comes to basing. She does absolutely no tumbling on the level 5 team because she have not mastered those skills along with some of the other crossovers, who were needed as bases. I can tell you she was super excited to get the opportunity to compete at the higher level.

justluvcheer said:
I think too many people assume that kids have the higher skill when they cross levels. Maybe, in some gyms but definitely not in our case. My daughter is on a level 3 team and crosses up to a level 5 team. I say cross up cause in reality the level 3 team is her team but she is strong as an ox when it comes to basing. She does absolutely no tumbling on the level 5 team because she have not mastered those skills along with some of the other crossovers, who were needed as bases. I can tell you she was super excited to get the opportunity to compete at the higher level.

Not sure what gym your from but the same thing happens @ are gym!!! We could be from the same one haha

I can understand when crossovers are needed and everything, but I do not think that kids should permanently sign up for more than one team. This is stressful, and if they truly have to be cheering every night of the week, I would suggest signing up for some classes as an alternative.
When you are going from team to team at practice and competitions it creates obvious scheduling conflicts, coaches can get in arguments, and the team as a whole is not as close. At practice, they can focus solely on their team, and not have to ever worry about running back and forth between teams or getting burnt out from being in the gym every night. I think teams should stay together the day of competition for bonding purposes. The team can eat, get ready, play games, practice, and watch other teams before/after they go to warm-ups and compete with no disruptions. It will create a better year for everyone if kids are on one team. This is just my opinion in an ideal world! :)

Ok there is a team near us that have a level two team, stacked.. over 1/2 of them are level 4 girls crossed down to a level two, they are fantastic but many of the other teams in the area and not in the area are complaining, They do win, they remain undefeated, but is 1/2 a team made up of level 4 girls on a level two team excessive?This is the 3rd yr they have been doing this.

Yeah, I hate "stacking". It turns the team into a joke, especially if the Level 4 girls become the focus of the Level 2 routine (ie. all the last tumbling passes, all the stunts in front are done by Level 4 girls). To me, if someone gets injured or quits, pick a crossover of a similar ability level who could benefit from crossing over. For example, if a Jr 2 cheerleader gets injured, don't pick the best tumbler on Level 3 to crossover... Try to pick the Level 3 girl who is struggling with the Level 3 tumbling and may welcome the chance to do a tumbling pass on Level 2 until the injured person returns. If all gyms kept things more honest like that and made sure not to overdo it, crossovers would be less of a problem. Plenty of gyms use crossovers for the right reasons, but there are the select few gyms who you know are going WAY overboard. It's bogus and ultimately unfair to the kids in this sport.

There's a gym that I know of that has crossovers on ALL of their teams! And most of the crossovers are in the front of the routine! That's what I don't think is fair about crossing over. The girls who are actually on the team because of their ability are being blocked by the crossovers. Then that team has a bigger chance of winning because of all the crossovers.

My CP is a level 5 tumbler but wanted to learn to fly so she crossed over to a sr 2 this year, sometimes there are other reasons for kids to crossover other than trying to stack a team. A rule about crossing over to only one level lower would have made that impossible for her, which would have been too bad, she is having a great time learning something new and being with some different athletes. I would not have wanted her to learn to fly at a level 4, she may never be that good of a flyer, who knows, but she loved flying level 2 and hopes to try a level 3 this year. Her tumbling will likely always be stronger than her flying.

I was a cross over at my old gym I was on senior co-ed because i was a beast base and my primary team was jr-coed because that was my age group.

Ok there is a team near us that have a level two team, stacked.. over 1/2 of them are level 4 girls crossed down to a level two, they are fantastic but many of the other teams in the area and not in the area are complaining, They do win, they remain undefeated, but is 1/2 a team made up of level 4 girls on a level two team excessive?This is the 3rd yr they have been doing this.

i know who you're talking about and i COMPLETELY agree! It's just not fair that they do that! Maybe they will step up to their level next year...

I know that alot of people at comps are annoyed when they find out that there are double teamers on their opposing team, but I think that double teaming is a great way to make you just a better all around cheerleader. My tumblng is level 3, but the coaches are giving me a shot at our internatonal open coed team. If I end up being on the team, I would get to showcase my (level 5) flying skills. Where as on my level 3 team, I wouldn't be able to do those skills. IMO most double teamers do it because they love the sport and their gym is their seccond home. I would be on every possible team if allowed and it wouldn't be to "max out" that team's scores. I just love competing and I'm sure most double teamers do too : )

Gyms just should stop abusing them. So what if a kid can throw a double full? Don't choose THEM to replace the girl out on the level 1 team.

I know that alot of people at comps are annoyed when they find out that there are double teamers on their opposing team, but I think that double teaming is a great way to make you just a better all around cheerleader. My tumblng is level 3, but the coaches are giving me a shot at our internatonal open coed team. If I end up being on the team, I would get to showcase my (level 5) flying skills. Where as on my level 3 team, I wouldn't be able to do those skills. IMO most double teamers do it because they love the sport and their gym is their seccond home. I would be on every possible team if allowed and it wouldn't be to "max out" that team's scores. I just love competing and I'm sure most double teamers do too : )

That is so exciting! Good luck!

yes i defiantly agree with you

i know who you're talking about and i COMPLETELY agree! It's just not fair that they do that! Maybe they will step up to their level next year...

The sad thing is and I said it before, even if they didnt stack the sr 2 team with there level 4 girls and using girls that are youth age they would still be just as good, and they would be given more credit where credit is due. I think they are amazing dont get me wrong. I love watching their routines every year.. but its becommin a joke .. I would love to see them perform at the level they should be as well.. there is alot in this sport that really needs to be regulated a bit more.

Back