All-Star D1 / D2 Debate

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What percent of the competitions are Varsity?
What percent of coverage of competitions? It seems like everything is through VarsityTV now.

What percent of the competitions are Varsity?
What percent of coverage of competitions? It seems like everything is through VarsityTV now.

Anecdotally, I've heard that now that Varsity has acquired Epic (which has 11 brands) , the vast majority of all comps in our area will be Varsity events. Events that cost $100 this year are expected to be $150 next year. Why? Because they can.

But I think scoring is fair overall in that those who deserve to win actually do win. Scoring is subjective somewhat and depends on what the judges like and don't like, but hit elements are hit elements. Creativity is where you will see points based on individual judge's opinions, right?

I hope one day we will see more transparency in scoring because I love to analyze the breakdowns just as a numbers geek lol. I feel the transparency will come one day , baby steps yall. Lol

As a parent, this is exactly how I feel. If the placement is right, and it seems that the majority of the time people feel it is, I'm okay with waiting for a score right now. With technology, I'm hoping one day there will be imaging/motion devices...think Just Dance and if they had sensors on elastic wrist and ankle bands that would help analyze and score jumps, motion placement, tumble rotation/technique, and stunt movement with accuracy. Until then I realize cheer is unlike other sports that have 1 or 2 athletes being judged at a time, in one arena.

I do think it would be fun and a real eye opener to have some of the most experienced gym owners and coaches provide immediate scoring at one National comp and Tweet out the scores. Have them in the different arena's and then have the virtual placement and bids made based only on those scores, no replay and then critique. There's no doubt in my mind this is already done behind the scenes with their experienced judges, but the accuracy isn't what they desire .

Anecdotally, I've heard that now that Varsity has acquired Epic (which has 11 brands) , the vast majority of all comps in our area will be Varsity events. Events that cost $100 this year are expected to be $150 next year. Why? Because they can.
And being able to charge parents $45 for the weekend! Entrance fees are going up too and nothing we can do about it!

And being able to charge parents $45 for the weekend! Entrance fees are going up too and nothing we can do about it!

Given the financial constraints of the families who are a part of our small gym, the gym owner will have no choice but to register for fewer comps next year if indeed prices increase. The choice of comps will have to become more strategic.

Stay tuned

Attachments

• 863A15E6-242A-497F-B05F-D09DD9985C4D.png
    863A15E6-242A-497F-B05F-D09DD9985C4D.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 377
Is it more than likely the age grid that they attempted to implement last year? Or even more sweeping changes?

I shared this is a different thread, but sort of ironic, it just occurred to me if they eventually move the Senior World age to 14 and don't also adjust the IO/IOC 5 teams then you would be eligible for the IO/IOC 5 teams before you are eligible for a Senior 5 teams. IO/IOC currently has a unique Calendar age set up.

Back