All-Star D2 Summit 2018

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes, this is true. An at-large bid wouldn't upgrade to a wildcard anyway, as a wildcard is a "lesser" bid.
I'm glad you put the "lesser" in quotes. I have no idea why some folks think that a Wildcard bid isn't as prestigious as an At-Large bid. My daughter's team received a Wildcard bid at their first comps last year and this year. They had to compete against 18 other teams and make it into the top 3 to move onto the finals. They had the highest score going into the finals (including both Wildcard and Semi-finals) and finished 7th with a stunt fall.

I'm glad you put the "lesser" in quotes. I have no idea why some folks think that a Wildcard bid isn't as prestigious as an At-Large bid. My daughter's team received a Wildcard bid at their first comps last year and this year. They had to compete against 18 other teams and make it into the top 3 to move onto the finals. They had the highest score going into the finals (including both Wildcard and Semi-finals) and finished 7th with a stunt fall.
A Wildcard is viewed as lesser bid because regardless of how many team are competing only 3 move on, while an at large/paid gets you a maximum chance of 10 teams moving on depending of the size of the group. That is not say wildcard teams aren't as good, not at all, it is just the acknowledgement that in larger size divisions you might only have a 10% chance of moving on from the wildcard while the same size division for an at large group(lets say for sake of argument 30 teams) would be 33% chance of moving on.

A Wildcard is viewed as lesser bid because regardless of how many team are competing only 3 move on, while an at large/paid gets you a maximum chance of 10 teams moving on depending of the size of the group. That is not say wildcard teams aren't as good, not at all, it is just the acknowledgement that in larger size divisions you might only have a 10% chance of moving on from the wildcard while the same size division for an at large group(lets say for sake of argument 30 teams) would be 33% chance of moving on.
The division that my daughter's team is in, is one of the largest. 18 teams were in the Wildcard round and the top 3 advanced to Finals; there were 22 teams that competed in the Semi-finals, and 10 of those moved onto the Finals, for a total of 13 teams. The Wildcard round for this particular division was rough.

The division that my daughter's team is in, is one of the largest. 18 teams were in the Wildcard round and the top 3 advanced to Finals; there were 22 teams that competed in the Semi-finals, and 10 of those moved onto the Finals, for a total of 13 teams. The Wildcard round for this particular division was rough.

It's a "lesser" bid because you can earn it at 1-day competitions, which typically have smaller attendance than large 2-day comps. Two day comps are also typically rewarding consistency between days, which makes it harder to get a bid if you have to be a winner or division high point. Yes, I know, depending on geographic region, it may be just as or harder to earn a wildcard. But it still is considered easier to earn the bid.

The actual teams competing on the bid are not "lesser," just the bid itself.

Some of the wildcard divisions has close to 50 teams. We were in one last year.

Back