All-Star D2 Summit Change - 2 Team Max Per Athlete

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BusyCheerMama

Cheer Parent
Jan 20, 2017
I was sure I would find a thread on this already in here but can't seem to find one, so figured I would post one :) If there is already one somewhere, tell me :) The varsity letter to coaches was posted to one of my cheer mom craft groups yesterday that mentioned a new rule for this year that athletes can only compete on a max of 2 teams at the D2 Summit this year. Just wondering if this may affect many people or not? Do your gyms have a lot of 3 team athletes? I believe that the USASF rule is still allowing athletes to be on a total of up to 3 teams for regular season it looks like.

I was sure I would find a thread on this already in here but can't seem to find one, so figured I would post one :) If there is already one somewhere, tell me :) The varsity letter to coaches was posted to one of my cheer mom craft groups yesterday that mentioned a new rule for this year that athletes can only compete on a max of 2 teams at the D2 Summit this year. Just wondering if this may affect many people or not? Do your gyms have a lot of 3 team athletes? I believe that the USASF rule is still allowing athletes to be on a total of up to 3 teams for regular season it looks like.

There is only one gym that I know of, that sometimes chooses to place some athletes on three teams. Their gym program is designed differently from most and it has worked well for them in the past. They would not qualify for D2.

There is only one gym that I know of, that sometimes chooses to place some athletes on three teams. Their gym program is designed differently from most and it has worked well for them in the past. They would not qualify for D2.

We are a D2 gym with under 100 athletes and have about 12 girls on 3 teams this year. Teams were made before this change so I am sure things would have been different if it were a rule before they were formed. Now I am nervous about what might happen if for some reason all 3 of these athletes teams get a bid. Just didn't know if it was a concern of anyone else :)

We are a D2 gym with under 100 athletes and have about 12 girls on 3 teams this year. Teams were made before this change so I am sure things would have been different if it were a rule before they were formed. Now I am nervous about what might happen if for some reason all 3 of these athletes teams get a bid. Just didn't know if it was a concern of anyone else :)

before it is too late in the season, it might be a good time for the coaches/ owners of your gym to regroup and reorganize the team rosters. Last thing you would want is for Team A (15 Athletes), Team B (20 Athletes) and Team C (18 Athletes) to make it to summit and but then the coaches only decided to take team A & B because of this new rule. It would be sad for the 5 kids who are on team C who don't triple team and are eligible to compete....

@Lablover - did you mean to rate my reply as "old thread"? I was the first to answer the Op's question and it was only about 3 hours after it was posted. Please change. Thank you :)

Gee, I wonder what gym that is??:p

I think this would be very common for small gyms. If a gym registers the majority of their 10 and older athletes on 4.2, they could get the extra income and have the ability to cross to three levels 2, 4.2 and 4 for NCA Nationals, instead of being locked into one level. The Summit versus D2 allows for one level up or down, but it allows 4.2 to go to four levels 2, 3, 4.2 and 4, so a small gym could create several teams with a minimum of athletes overlapping levels and even Jr/Sr age grid ages 10-14. Level 4.2 is the key to making several teams on several levels and allows small gyms to participate at the two most restrictive Nationals. "Yes" I believe it effects many people, but I believe people stay quiet about it, because no one wants to hear their level 2 Jr. or Sr. team is going up against higher level athletes at NCA and Summit.

Back