All-Star D2 Vs D1

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 21, 2016
How does this actually work? I understand the rules for D2, however I have seen MANY large gyms with multiple locations have some of their teams compete in both D1 and D2 divisions, varying across competitions. It seems like a way to sandbag at a comp if you have your D1 gym compete in the D2 division. Very confusing, and doesn't seem right. If you have a bid to D1 summit, why are you allowed to compete inD2 divisions?

From what I've heard (this year), they can still compete in the D2 divisions but cannot actually try for a D2 summit bid. Supposedly the rule will be changed for next year. We had to compete against some D1 teams as well this year in the D2 divisions..

How does this actually work? I understand the rules for D2, however I have seen MANY large gyms with multiple locations have some of their teams compete in both D1 and D2 divisions, varying across competitions. It seems like a way to sandbag at a comp if you have your D1 gym compete in the D2 division. Very confusing, and doesn't seem right. If you have a bid to D1 summit, why are you allowed to compete inD2 divisions?

Please see the below post that is from another thread, the conversation I had on Twitter with Justin Carrier explains it. I had the same question and decided to go right to the source for an answer:

I spoke to Justin Carrier on Twitter on this subject(see below), he said that the D2 rules we are quoting are for summit bids, but the USASF rules still allow them to qualify as D2. He told me this is fixed in the 2017-2018 rules and will therefore won't be allowed next year.

Thank you. This was actually the gym I was talking about. I'm glad it's being addressed next year, but it is unfortunate that it was allowed to happen this season

Another question. At Battle at the Beach last week (and I think One Up coming this weekend), they don't split out D1 and D2. At least not in our division. What is your take on that?

quick question. At this weekends competition the 3 teams that took the at large bids registered as D2. They were shown as a D2 teams. How is it possibly allowed that they are allowed to accept D1 bids if they register as D2? My cp's team already has a bid, but we were hoping for a bid for another team in the gym

quick question. At this weekends competition the 3 teams that took the at large bids registered as D2. They were shown as a D2 teams. How is it possibly allowed that they are allowed to accept D1 bids if they register as D2? My cp's team already has a bid, but we were hoping for a bid for another team in the gym

Unfortunately, at least right now, a D2 gym can go for a D1 bid. But I believe if they declare a D1 option, they have to do that all season. I don't agree with it. If you are going to be a D2 gym, you should only be eligible for a D2 bid.

Unfortunately, at least right now, a D2 gym can go for a D1 bid. But I believe if they declare a D1 option, they have to do that all season. I don't agree with it. If you are going to be a D2 gym, you should only be eligible for a D2 bid.

Even if they register the team at that competition as a D2 team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another question. At Battle at the Beach last week (and I think One Up coming this weekend), they don't split out D1 and D2. At least not in our division. What is your take on that?
One of our teams divisions didn't split LG and SM teams.....if not enough in division they will combine.

One of our teams divisions didn't split LG and SM teams.....if not enough in division they will combine.
Yeah, I don't like that either.

I think so. I remember last year at Battle at the Beach there were 2 D2 teams in our division. In fact, they took 1st and 2nd and we took 3rd. I was told there was still a possibility they could get a D1 bid.

They will only split if there will be at least 2 of each. Even then I believe it is the EP's discretion and it is not required to split it.

Yeah, I don't like that either.

I think so. I remember last year at Battle at the Beach there were 2 D2 teams in our division. In fact, they took 1st and 2nd and we took 3rd. I was told there was still a possibility they could get a D1 bid.
That is so ridiculous! If you want to be a D2 gym, then be one.

You can register as a D2 team and accept a regular Summit bid. D2 teams have the choice of which they want.

We r as close to being D1/D2 with 122 athletes but sign in as D2 and will attend summit with multiple teams.

Back