All-Star D2 Vs D1

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A D2 gym would need to compete with D1 teams in order to be eligible. You can't compete in the D2 division at a comp (if they are split) and still go for D1. D2 bids are much harder to get IMO as they usually offer less at comps. The last comp we were at - 3 WC bids for D1 and 1 for D2.

How does this actually work? I understand the rules for D2, however I have seen MANY large gyms with multiple locations have some of their teams compete in both D1 and D2 divisions, varying across competitions. It seems like a way to sandbag at a comp if you have your D1 gym compete in the D2 division. Very confusing, and doesn't seem right. If you have a bid to D1 summit, why are you allowed to compete inD2 divisions?
Here's a question..... can an athlete compete with a gym at the summit and then turn around and compete with a completely different gym at the D2 summit, and the D2 gym is the gym they have been competing with all season?

Here's a question..... can an athlete compete with a gym at the summit and then turn around and compete with a completely different gym at the D2 summit, and the D2 gym is the gym they have been competing with all season?
Yes they can.
The only rule is you can't compete with more than one gym at THAT competition.

Unfortunately, at least right now, a D2 gym can go for a D1 bid. But I believe if they declare a D1 option, they have to do that all season. I don't agree with it. If you are going to be a D2 gym, you should only be eligible for a D2 bid.

Are there any talks of changing the criteria so that only D1 gyms can have the D1 bids and that D2 gyms can only receive D2 bids? It doesn't seem fair the current way that bids are distributed.

Are there any talks of changing the criteria so that only D1 gyms can have the D1 bids and that D2 gyms can only receive D2 bids? It doesn't seem fair the current way that bids are distributed.
I don't believe so. I 100% think D2 gyms should be able to compete D1 and for D1 bids, but they should be required to compete D1 at the comps to earn the bids.

I don't think that'd be doable unless EVERY competition was split between D1 and D2. We have to compete against D1 teams all the time so why wouldn't it be fair for us to compete against them for a bid? At one comp, we were the only D2 gym in our division.
It's not like D2 gyms get double the chance for a bid. At Cheersport for example, there were 2 paid and 7 at-large D2 bids given out. Compared to 5 and 20 for D1. If D2 can only try for D2, that doesn't seem that fair when I have to imagine there are more D2 gyms than D1. I have no idea about those numbers though.
Edited: Those were bids from last year. D2 actually had 2 and 20 this year so at least it was a little more even.

Last edited:
I don't believe so. I 100% think D2 gyms should be able to compete D1 and for D1 bids, but they should be required to compete D1 at the comps to earn the bids.

Not debating. Just curious as to why you think this.

Does this mean that you believe that D1 teams should be able to compete for D2 bids as well?

Not debating. Just curious as to why you think this.

Does this mean that you believe that D1 teams should be able to compete for D2 bids as well?
No, not at all. If a D2 gym wants to compete against the big dogs, they have every right to. But no, a 1000 athlete gym should not be able to choose to compete against only the tiny gyms. There have been many very very successful gyms that were or are D2 winning/globing at NCA and Worlds against D1 teams. They should not be forced to only compete against the smaller gyms. It reminds me of several other sports out there where you are allowed to "compete up" but not "compete down". Not that one is necessarily better than the other, but the structure of the industry in of itself. I think there's a pretty good consensus of this thinking in the cheer world.

Back