OT Damaged Hair Help??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 14, 2015
My hair is so so dry and damaged from all of the cheer teasing. I also straighten my hair frequently (I'm now cutting back on it, however). It tangles very easily which just creates this awful cycle of pulling out hair, causing split ends, etc. I don't know what to do to fix it. I've started to sleep with my hair in braids so it stops tangling overnight, spraying anti-frizz oil and using coconut oil on the ends, but even when I brush through it it gets tangled. Does anyone have any good product recommendations or tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut it.
Any time you have tangle-proned hair, the slightest movement will tangle it.
You could try Rusk Deep Shine Oil when it's damp (just a drop or two,) but honestly, just cut it.

I would cut what's damaged. It's damaged it won't get any healthier. the way I know that I'll like a shampoo and conditioner is how well the shampoo works. There are some shampoo that takes out all the natural moisture in your hair that your conditioner works twice as hard. Or you have to double the amount you usually use. I noticed that if this happens my hair feels like it has some much products in it even though I rinsed real well. I like to wash my hair everyday because it works for me, so if your hair can't take washing everyday stick with what works best for your hair. I also starting to rotate between different brands of shampoo/conditioner.

Last edited:
I agree about cutting it. A lot of my hair died and fell out (not due to cheer, other stuff) and I was so adamant about keeping what was left. But, it was thin, and really dry, it broke easily and was a pain to deal with. When my hair started thickening again, I cut off a bunch of it. (middle length hair to a total bob) That helped solved the problem. My hair re-grew and it looked better again. You don't have to cut off all of it, but trimming the ends will definitely help.

Cp and I both have tangle prone hair, even when it is not damaged. We use a specific brand of brush called The Wet Brush Detangler. It's about $15 but works better than anything I have ever tried at detangling without breaking hair. So much so that I bought a travel size for my purse and an extra for CP's PE locker at school.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going in for a hair cut within the next week or so. The hairpiece is a good idea, though.

There's two places you can buy a hair piece or you can make your own. Look on you tube for making one but I didn't have time or patience to make one. I checked out the two places to buy and one is less expensive than the other. I went with that one. I love it. my CP wears it at competitions and it stays in and takes just a few minutes to put in and take out. And I don't have to worry about breakage and brushing out a big tease for hours. If you want info later about it just let me know. Keep up with coconut oil. It's very moisturizing for your hair. Also get a protein treatment product to strengthen and help grow. I'm not sure of your ethnicity but my cp uses Shea products with no sulfates. Good luck.

If you can find the Carol's Daughter line of hair products, all of their shampoos and conditioners work wonders on helping to repair and keep your hair healthy (and it grows like crazy!). I swear by their Monoi Oil :)

Does anyone know where to get a good hairpiece that isn't over like $40? I've looked around a lot but haven't been able to find a straight teased pony other than Posh Ponys which is way out of my price range. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know where to get a good hairpiece that isn't over like $40? I've looked around a lot but haven't been able to find a straight teased pony other than Posh Ponys which is way out of my price range. Thanks in advance!

I doubt youll find one for that cheap. I know someone posted instructions on how to make your own, but even that will cost you more than 40 dollars.

I doubt youll find one for that cheap. I know someone posted instructions on how to make your own, but even that will cost you more than 40 dollars.
Oh ok thanks for the reply! Yeah, I guess you get what you pay for. I hate having thin hair that won't tease haha

If you use a lot of products for cheer hair I would encourage you to use a clarifying shampoo once a week to clean out the product that is coating your hair. Then be sure to deep condition at least the bottom half of your hair, never the scalp. I do agree that you need to cut it, too! Good luck !

Pinups Ponies with a tease has prices lower but not 40 dollars tho. The cheapest way is to buy the hair and send to them and they make the teased pony for you. To me it's worth it because my cp will be wearing hers a long time. It's especially great for two day comps so you don't ruin hair two days in a row. You don't ruin it at all. Anyway. If you want pinups ponies with a tease to create a pony for you from hair you purchase ask me for a discount code for ten percent off

After a good cut, I'm an Aveda fan, so I'd recommend using their Dry Remedy oil frequently (doesn't make hair greasy) and Sun Care shampoo once a week to rid product build-up. Aveda stuff tends to last me a really long time so it's not as expensive as it seems.

Back