OT Dancing With The Stars Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'll be interested to see Laurie try a standard ballroom style; thus far she's only had jazz and all latin ballroom styles which are more hip/rhythm movements. Standard is more smooth and she's so bouncy and full of energy I feel like it may not be great. I was excited she was doing Paso Doble and the beginning of the dance all "in her head" was cool, but I was unimpressed by the actual dancing.

I am beginning to root for James over Laurie. He's a fast learner and doing extremely well.

I'll be interested to see Laurie try a standard ballroom style; thus far she's only had jazz and all latin ballroom styles which are more hip/rhythm movements. Standard is more smooth and she's so bouncy and full of energy I feel like it may not be great. I was excited she was doing Paso Doble and the beginning of the dance all "in her head" was cool, but I was unimpressed by the actual dancing.

I am beginning to root for James over Laurie. He's a fast learner and doing extremely well.

James is blowing me away. I didn't know that part of his story, that he had flat-lined, and now I love him even more. I'd like to see Laurie in some ballroom styles as well.

I was really impressed with Amber last night. She's not the best but she looked like she felt like a million bucks doing that dance. She also looked superb in that costume.

Please let Maureen be the next one off. I love Artem but I CANT WATCH HER CRY ANOTHER WEEK FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.

Thought you might like to see Claudia Fragapane's most recent dance on Strictly since, like Laurie, she's also doing very well.

This scored her 36/40 which was joint top score of the night! The ending is a bit messy but the actual dancing is great, she really started to act this week which is something she previously struggled with (unlike Laurie!)

I'm ready for Maureen and Lochte to leave. I wouldn't be sad to see Marilu go

I was sadish to see Amber Rose leave because I like her as a person

I think Calvin was phenomenal last night and I was getting antsy with him and Jana being in the bottom. Jana's dance was good, but the production value is what gave it the edge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catching up on last night now... literally sobbing at the package and dance for Laurie. Literally don't know how she watched that video of her grandmother and danced without curling in a ball on the floor.

In other news, I'm happy with the finalists. I kind of would have preferred Terra over Jana, but I'll live.

I cried during Laurie's intro as well. Bless her heart.

I'm glad Terra got eliminated. She was good but I got sick of her. I don't think she was deserving of a place in finals. The top 5 were all really good

Yep Laurie had me going too. [emoji22]. Now I know why she was not at gymnastics tour Saturday...

http://people.com/tv/On/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Apparently Val knew Laurie's Grandma passed away and kept it a secret so her family could tell her when she was home. (Not trying to criticize, just an interesting article I wanted to share.)

I figured something was up though, otherwise why would they have asked Laurie about her Grandma "the day before" when every other persons package was about their life. It would've been about the olympics and her finishing tour and gymnastics.

I feel for Laurie though, my grandpa has Alzheimers and my grandma is in the beginning stages. It's rough to watch and the guilt is tough. Poor thing, her plate is so full, she doesn't even have time to grieve and be with her family.

If Sharna is not atleast nominated for an Emmy for that dance last night then the world is more unjust than I believe it to be.

For once I am content with the top 3. Jana might be a slightly better dancer than Calvin but I find Calvin to be a better entertainer and I don't think Gleb's choreography was as strong and Lindsay's this season.

As much as I love Laurie, I think I want James to win. I think he is more well rounded. Laurie has come a long way but I was disappointed that Val defaulted to a more "childish" dance for their freestyle when she's made great strides to show she can do more mature dances. Matter of preference I guess, I like more mature dances. Im not trying to be harsh when I say this but I'm just a little tired of the giggles and acting like shes a 12 year old with the "you're so cute", "you're adorable", "do/say that cute thing again" and the constant innocence. The girl is 16, she has been doing things that have required her to take on a lot of responsibility for a 16 year. She's not a child and I'm tired of her/them playing that up.

Idk, it's just a little too much for me. I'm more of a no nonsense person. I'm excited for tonight, though. And I'm exited to get my Monday nights back [emoji14]

If Sharna is not atleast nominated for an Emmy for that dance last night then the world is more unjust than I believe it to be.

For once I am content with the top 3. Jana might be a slightly better dancer than Calvin but I find Calvin to be a better entertainer and I don't think Gleb's choreography was as strong and Lindsay's this season.

As much as I love Laurie, I think I want James to win. I think he is more well rounded. Laurie has come a long way but I was disappointed that Val defaulted to a more "childish" dance for their freestyle when she's made great strides to show she can do more mature dances. Matter of preference I guess, I like more mature dances. Im not trying to be harsh when I say this but I'm just a little tired of the giggles and acting like shes a 12 year old with the "you're so cute", "you're adorable", "do/say that cute thing again" and the constant innocence. The girl is 16, she has been doing things that have required her to take on a lot of responsibility for a 16 year. She's not a child and I'm tired of her/them playing that up.

Idk, it's just a little too much for me. I'm more of a no nonsense person. I'm excited for tonight, though. And I'm exited to get my Monday nights back [emoji14]

Wholeheartedly agree. I absolutely want James to win, though I do think Laurie's larger fanbase will win out.

Agreed about Val's choreo choices. All season the judges are commenting on how they're watching her grow up into this mature young woman and then for the freestyle, which is the perfect opportunity to showcase her growth, you default to little kid stuff? I loved Cell Block Tango, she killed it, but her being 16 and Val 30 did make me a teensy bit uncomfortable.... but I think that's Val's problem. If you look at his past choreo to him mature = sexy and he doesn't want to make Laurie sexy. I also know for the last few seasons Jenna choreographed most of his freestyles and this season she did not which may be another factor.

The same thing is happening with Claudia Fragapane on Strictly and it's getting on everyones nerves and she's even a little older than Laurie, having recently turned 19 (her partner has just turned 22). She's proved she is a very capable and talented dancer yet they seem to always get given tweeny/poppy/chart songs, 'cutesy' costumes/themes and after every dance they get told how 'adorable' they are.:confused:

The same thing is happening with Claudia Fragapane on Strictly and it's getting on everyones nerves and she's even a little older than Laurie, having recently turned 19 (her partner has just turned 22). She's proved she is a very capable and talented dancer yet they seem to always get given tweeny/poppy/chart songs, 'cutesy' costumes/themes and after every dance they get told how 'adorable' they are.:confused:

On DWTS, Sadie Roberts and Bindi Irwin were both around Lauries age and had some of the same struggles with learning how to do mature dances but I dont remember either of them being treated this way. I want to imagine that Laurie is a lot more mature than she is portrayed on the show.

It's starting to get on my nerves a little. I can't imagine watching a 19 year old being treated that way though, yikes! You're not even a teenager, you are an adult at that point...

@njallday val's speeches on the show/social media posts about Laurie have weirded me out a little. He talks about her like shes older but the show doesn't portray her as that and it creates some dissonance for me. I don't really blame him, entirely. It's just... weird. It's amplified bc she's a minor, too. Sophie was a minor when she was a contestant but her persona on the show was not child-like. The girl from the Hunger Games, who played Rue, was younger than Laurie I think and she wasnt "childish". I feel like the show completely missed the "young" and went right to "child".

But yeah, maybe Val just struggles with the balance between mature and sexy. I don't think Laurie can quite pull off "sexy" so Val was like "no mature freestyle dance for you." Both Mark and Derek can create mature dances that aren't "sexy" and it has worked well for their younger partners. (I miss Mark, can Jersey Boys close already?)

I'd love to see Sharna and James win for Sharna as well. She has been an incredible coach and choreographer the past couple of seasons.

(ETA: Prim from the Hunger Games, not Rue. They are both cuties who deserved much more.)

Last edited:
Back