All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Overall I thought the cheerlebrity thing was much better than in Indy. After The large senior 5 teams all went I stayed around for a bit and outside the arena most of the "cheerlebrities" were just hanging out talking to their friends and teammates. They got bugged for a picture less than once every 5 minutes it seemed like to me. Everytime I saw them they seemed to be not as swamped.

I guess I'm confused by the whol cheerlebrity phenomenon. Are these really then"best" athletes out there, or the most well-marketed? And when they are part of a team of 20, are the other team members not as important? At a recent competition, I met a lovely young lady that had formerly cheered with one of these cheerlebrities. While I'm sure this young lady had plenty to personally be proud of, all she could say was how she was on the team with said cheerlebrity. I found that heartbreaking. My CP works her butt off, her dream is to one day win Worlds. If and when that dream comes to fruition as it had for this young lady, I would hope that she would have more to brag about than who she cheered with.

And I guess it seems weird to me to see a team hold a meet and greet and sign bows for the very athletes they'll, be competing against a few hours later,

I guess I'm confused by the whol cheerlebrity phenomenon. Are these really then"best" athletes out there, or the most well-marketed? And when they are part of a team of 20, are the other team members not as important? At a recent competition, I met a lovely young lady that had formerly cheered with one of these cheerlebrities. While I'm sure this young lady had plenty to personally be proud of, all she could say was how she was on the team with said cheerlebrity. I found that heartbreaking. My CP works her butt off, her dream is to one day win Worlds. If and when that dream comes to fruition as it had for this young lady, I would hope that she would have more to brag about than who she cheered with.

And I guess it seems weird to me to see a team hold a meet and greet and sign bows for the very athletes they'll, be competing against a few hours later,
In some cases, yes. I'd very well say they're some of, if not the best athletes out there. Kiara Nowlin is a World Champion power tumbler, so she's official :p..most of these athletes are World Champions of SOME team, so they're a collective best at the very least. Sometimes, what carries them is their story (Matt Smith is cute, but isn't he also the one who flies to CA to practice?), and a boost is if they're good looking or have an awesome on-the-floor personality. In practice, I'm sure each and every one of these coaches would tell you they're ALL important, or there's no team. But it's not the coaches picking 'cheerlebrities' in some back room of the gym. It's the athletes honing their talent and fans recognizing said talent.

People want to connect with someone they feel is special.

There is a time and place for that. What I've noticed lately is the lack of respect. When the team is gathered preparing, hair/makeup being done that's not the time. If someone is nice enough to take a few pictures before being called away, accept it as jusy that.

There is a time and place for that. What I've noticed lately is the lack of respect. When the team is gathered preparing, hair/makeup being done that's not the time. If someone is nice enough to take a few pictures before being called away, accept it as jusy that.
It's got to be confusing to these kids. Cheerleading doesn't have the elite status of other sports, so these kids didn't go in saying, " I want to be an Olympian," or "one day I will play in the NFL." It's strange to see the idols competing against their fans, though. Like in figure skating ( sorry the only other sport I know the ins/outs of), the kids looking up to Ashley Wagner are not competing against her. Does that make sense?

It's strange to see the idols competing against their fans, though. Like in figure skating ( sorry the only other sport I know the ins/outs of), the kids looking up to Ashley Wagner are not competing against her. Does that make sense?
I'm pretty sure I read that fellow competitors were pretty excited when Missy Franklin swam in her state finals. It happens *shrugs*

It's got to be confusing to these kids. Cheerleading doesn't have the elite status of other sports, so these kids didn't go in saying, " I want to be an Olympian," or "one day I will play in the NFL." It's strange to see the idols competing against their fans, though. Like in figure skating ( sorry the only other sport I know the ins/outs of), the kids looking up to Ashley Wagner are not competing against her. Does that make sense?
I also don't know the turnover time for sports like gymnastics or figure skating, but they're typically very quick. I'd look at it more like running or swimming, where the athletes are in the elite level for more than one Olympics cycle (at least, on the American side anyway. Most other countries get two).

I'm sure Ryan Lochte looked up to Phelps to some extent before he was TRULY competing against him.

Also- you're talking about individual sports. Think of it more like an American soccer player looking up to Pele or Rinaldo or Zizou (ok, for that last one I went to Google. Sue me :p)..

On Saturday one of the cheerlebrities had a less than perfect performance. She touched on her tumbling, and like most people would be she was upset about it. Tears running down her eyes, puffy red eyes, getting comforted from her mom... and sure enough here comes these girls who think it's okay to ask for a picture. Who wants to take a picture with tears running down their face. I mean really.

I'm sure Ryan Lochte looked up to Phelps to some extent before he was TRULY competing against him.
The key word... BEFORE.

And to continue with the soccer analogy, there is a difference between the US team holding a meet and greet for high school soccer players vs holding a meet and greet for the Spanish team they are about to play against.

If it was the mini/youth kids that were looking up to these cheerlebrities, but when it's kids in the same division, I wonder how its affecting the playing field.

The key word... BEFORE.

And to continue with the soccer analogy, there is a difference between the US team holding a meet and greet for high school soccer players vs holding a meet and greet for the Spanish team they are about to play against.

If it was the mini/youth kids that were looking up to these cheerlebrities, but when it's kids in the same division, I wonder how its affecting the playing field.
In that case, I think it's fabulous.

We talk about how cut throat these divisions can be, it's nice that they can look beyond the uniform and just see talent, no matter what gym package it's wrapped in.

I also don't know the turnover time for sports like gymnastics or figure skating, but they're typically very quick. I'd look at it more like running or swimming, where the athletes are in the elite level for more than one Olympics cycle (at least, on the American side anyway. Most other countries get two).

Also- you're talking about individual sports. Think of it more like an American soccer player looking up to Pele or Rinaldo or Zizou (ok, for that last one I went to Google. Sue me :p)..

Off topic, but did you know Ryan Lochte is actually older than Michael Phelps? By a year or so. I didn't realize that till this past Olympics. Ok carry on.

What happens when this is all over, and they age out? I saw a very famous Lady Bullet alumni, and she was walking around perfectly left alone. In a few years, there will be a new batch. Unlike other sports you cant do this unit your 30.

Zizou over Lionel Messi? Hmph. :)

I never really cared much about the cheerlebrity thing and I always thought it was no big deal unless people interfered with them and got out of control...
But the other day I saw a pic of somebody I know floating around tumblr with a bunch of notes and I realized... That's actually REALLY creepy. Like people who just know them as a normal kid, seeing pics of them on tumblr or on the Instagram popular page? That must be weird...

Back