High School Demerit System Advice?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 7, 2012
So, I'm thinking about inplementing a demerit system for my 13/14 squad. Does anyone have any experience with a demerit system? Pros/Cons? Suggestions? Advice?

So, I'm thinking about inplementing a demerit system for my 13/14 squad. Does anyone have any experience with a demerit system? Pros/Cons? Suggestions? Advice?
From a parent's perspective: be very clear on what the infraction is and what the demerit will be. Don't leave any gray areas open to interpretation by the kids or the parents. Most importantly, make sure you not only say what you mean, but mean what you say. If you say "this is going to happen if you do XYZ" and someone does XYZ, follow through with what you said would happen. The moment you do not, the rest of your demerit system is moot because they kids and parents know you will not always follow through.
You might also want to balance it out with a reward system so that not only the negative behaviors are recognized but also the positive ones that are sometimes overlooked.

My daughter's school had options for working off demerits. Gives you a little more flexibility.
Yes, I like the idea of earning Merits back. I was thinking things like (1) making honor roll, (2) vacuuming the entire cheer floor, (3) perfect practice attendance the entire quarter, (4) cheering at an unassigned game when a sub is needed. Dumb ideas or good ideas? Any other "merit earning" ideas?

Yes, I like the idea of earning Merits back. I was thinking things like (1) making honor roll, (2) vacuuming the entire cheer floor, (3) perfect practice attendance the entire quarter, (4) cheering at an unassigned game when a sub is needed. Dumb ideas or good ideas? Any other "merit earning" ideas?
I've only done demerits, and really like these ideas. Using. Thanks!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back