Describe Your Program

Discussion in 'Rec Cheerleading' started by SharkDad, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Ecreif

Ecreif I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I do two teams, allstar and rec, and I do not cheer at Total Impact. They are just one team i was thinking about joining, but i changed my mind. Alright? Alright.

2. SarahS

SarahS Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Y'all, this is a MINOR. If she were a mom, like you, and wanted to keep her CP's info secure, even if she had slipped and revealed something in the past, you would respect her wishes. Don't put her info on blast just because you can. I get that Emme isn't in the cool kids club here, bit seriously, keep in mind that she's a kid, and let her move on. For real. This is absurd.

3. Ecreif

Ecreif I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thank you!!!!

4. SharkDad

SharkDad Most Positive, Best Parent '12 Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    shark_dad
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Let's not hold kids to standards that we would hold for adults.

Besides that I think most of us have learned (or maybe should try) to praise in public and punish (i.e. berate) in private.

There is a lot of good information about Rec programs being shared here, let's keep it to that please.

5. Kel Kell

Kel Kell Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Getting back to the topic. The teams I work with started with a local Bill George Program and didn't compete (we also wore t-shirts and carried GIANT poms... oh the 90s) We moved to Pop Warner, then to AYC, and now we are with United Youth Football and Cheerleading. In the end UYF is a lot like AYC and Pop Warner.

If we place first in the UYF Regional Comp we go to Nationals in Florida. If not, we go to the Illinois Recreational Cheerleading Association State Competition. Teams generally do three IRCA sponsored competitions a year to get a bid to state (info on IRCA can be found here)

We have several levels that cheer for all football games and compete on the side. U7, U9, U11, U12, U14.

I am interested to see how rec cheer develops this year around the area with the allowance of high school students to participate as Freshmen and Sophomores.

6. SharkDad

SharkDad Most Positive, Best Parent '12 Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    shark_dad
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Any parents, please PM me to let me know if you want to be added to the Parent Section.

There you can add to the parent-only Rec section and share/vent/ask questions in a drama-free atmosphere.

7. Arianna

Arianna I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    i'm on a rec team that charges $100 a month plus fees for other things like the uniform, competitions, etc. we do level 5 stunts like lib variation double downs, full ups to extensions, low to highs, etc. we have some people who can't tumble and some with very good tumbling such as standing fulls. we have around 25 people on the team. there are also many lower level teams and a special needs team.

8. FTSP

FTSP Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My CP cheers for one of our town teams in the U12 division under the New Hampshire Youth Football & Spirit Conference. She cheers at all the 6 th grade football games and competes in 3 local competitions and States. Her team can move onto Regionals and Nationals depending on placement at States and Regionals.
    The age divisions are
    U6
    U8
    U10
    U12
    U13
    U15
    We pay a yearly registration fee of $150,fundraising and volunteer deposit of $250
    We also pay a $100 uniform deposit with sneakers, bows , briefs being extra. We get both deposits back as long as we fullfill our commitments and the uniform is returned in good shape. If the team moves on in competitions there are additional travel fees.

9. eliteathletics

eliteathletics I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Where do you cheer? And do you get a lot of competition at level 5?

10. Tosh

Tosh When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Wow! I wish, I wish, I wish....There is a registration fee....compared to what I've seen so far, it is nothing. It was free until 3 years ago (maybe 4 at most). There are costs for sneakers, bows, bloomers/spanks and corps. There are also some additional costs for competitions.....here is the issue, we can not make any of it mandatory. The best we are able to do is have a breakout competition team only. So everyone cheers at the games and additional prictices with the girls that choose to do competition. This helps a bit, but even so it is still a major issue, because the one thing I really really want to do, we can't....and that is to make tumbling mandatory. With the fees you are able to collect, we could have new(er) competition uniforms and get the girls in a gym to tumble at least once a week....there's sooooooo much we can do for the girls with that......but we can't. Who knows, maybe our Rec program will make some new rules........
    Also quick question what is the age group and grade? Just wondering, because for Rec (I know we have many varying ideals of what Rec is, but) through 6th grade are not allowed to do the stunts you are describing....so I'll assume the girls are in 7th grade or above?

11. lilpapsgirl

lilpapsgirl Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    You must be from Jacksonville. I cheered Pop Warner in the greater jax area for about 10 years.

12. TinyBlondie15

TinyBlondie15 I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    Kik:
    lolotires
    Twitter:
    lolotires
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Yes! I cheered my 5th and 6th grade years for the Pop Warner SJSA Black Bears Peewee. What program did you cheer for?

13. lilpapsgirl

lilpapsgirl Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I cheered at Lakeshore between 1995 and 2003 and then coached the pee wee squad in 2004.

14. jscoach210

jscoach210 I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I coach a Senior Rec team in NJ, we compete UCA and are going to UCA Nationals next month. We compete locally and follow UCA rules, and attend Regionals to qualify for Nationals. The team name is Jr. Streaks. We are a true rec program. Our girls all cheer for their football programs and we compete from October through February. The girls are ages 10-14 and are very talented. We are in our 3rd season and have placed 2nd previous years at UCA Nationals. Good luck to all the teams this season.

15. Tosh

Tosh When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Hi and welcome to the boards.....so now I know what team. You guys are awsome.....good luck at Nationals and I am sure I will be seeing you all before Nationals.