All-Star Difference Between Summit And The One Finals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 25, 2017
I see quite a few gyms looking to go to The One Finals instead of Summit for this new season.. What are the differences between the 2. Do you think the number of gyms wanting to attend Summit will start to go down?

We went to The One because it's a lot easier to get a bid to it - you only have to place 1st, 2nd or 3rd at an event giving bids. It's also typically non-Varsity events so if your gym doesn't do Varsity events, you can still go to an end of season comp.
I don't know if they plan to expand at all but it is nice that you can choose which location to compete at (there are 4 right now) - though we competed at the Orlando event - it was nice for our girls to be that close to Disney.

I do think it has grown a lot. Last year, there were only 4 teams competing in CPs division and it was at 13 this year. It's also a chance for non Summit divisions to compete - Rec and Prep teams compete as well as Tiny and Mini.

I'm sure CP would have loved to be able to get a bid to Summit though..

ETA: At the Orlando location, since it was held the same weekend as Summit, there were several teams/gyms that had Summit bids also competing. I'm sure they got paid bids to The One (since it's a bit easier - usually you have to be Grand Champs or highest at the comp to win that) and just because it fit into their Summit schedule, decided that it might be easy to win another comp.

CP's team competed against a team who also had an At-Large Summit bid and did beat them - so that was nice. I thought for sure we would lose to them (they were also more than double our size)

Last edited:
The One("at the end of the season" for those of you who have been around a long time) is more of a similar competition to the US Finals, multiple venues across the country with multiple winners and then a video review of all those winners to determine the champion in each division and level.

The Summit and D2 Summit is much harder to get a bid to, I think Varsity kept quoting a number like only 10% of teams that try for a bid get one. Also it appears like less bids will be given out next year so it will be much harder of task for the kids. I am not sure if that is because of construction at Disney or what they reason is.

The fact that summit is so hard to get invited to is what makes many want to attend it. One of my CP's friends went to The One Finals. She called it the "fake summit" and said they only went there because they didn't get a summit bid this season. I like NCA nationals , no bids involved, crossovers are limited, and only across level, no going down a level.

The One("at the end of the season" for those of you who have been around a long time) is more of a similar competition to the US Finals, multiple venues across the country with multiple winners and then a video review of all those winners to determine the champion in each division and level.

The Summit and D2 Summit is much harder to get a bid to, I think Varsity kept quoting a number like only 10% of teams that try for a bid get one. Also it appears like less bids will be given out next year so it will be much harder of task for the kids. I am not sure if that is because of construction at Disney or what they reason is.
@ChicagoCheerDad why do you say less bids will be given out next year?

It'd probably be nice if they limit the number of bids per division at least. The amt of teams in J2 and J3 was kind of ridiculous at least for D2 Summit. Though it seems like those levels are always some of the biggest.
I'm not sure how feasible that is since it would suck to be a team where they've already reached their limit later in the season.

@ChicagoCheerDad why do you say less bids will be given out next year?
Sorry just got back from the D2 Summit, I say that because according to this:
https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/18/Summit/VASS.pdf
It appears to be the case. While I haven't had the time to put this year and last years bid numbers in a spreadsheet and total them up, I can see nearly every event on the list has less bids then 2016-17. Usually in the neighborhood of 5 less per competition, though it appears that the largest comps will have more paid bids.

I am counting 143 paid bids on that list compared to last year I believe there were only 110 (this is for D1 Summit at least)

Back