High School Differences Between Cheering At Football Games Vs. Basketball Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
In football, college squads are allowed to perform 2 1/2 high pyramids, basket tosses, rewinds into partner stunts and one-armed partner stunts whereas in basketball, squads can only perform 2 high pyramids and cupies with an additional spotter. Thoughts?

All about the surface and the game environment in the moment.

Like for college cheer, baskets that flip and twist should only be thrown at specific set stop times in football games. Otherwise just basic baskets can be thrown for play stoppage on the sideline.

For hs cheer, bball rules about positioning on the court are weirdly specific too.

It's very bizarre across the different cheer avenues

All about the surface and the game environment in the moment.

Like for college cheer, baskets that flip and twist should only be thrown at specific set stop times in football games. Otherwise just basic baskets can be thrown for play stoppage on the sideline.

For hs cheer, bball rules about positioning on the court are weirdly specific too.

It's very bizarre across the different cheer avenues

This.

But let’s be honest. Is any of it really necessary. Crowd leading is much better accomplished with simple skills. I can create levels and change your eye positioning with shoulder sits, shoulder stands, preps, and extensions.

Super clean, super solid, and top girls able to have both hands free for motions/signs/crowd leading/etc

This.

But let’s be honest. Is any of it really necessary. Crowd leading is much better accomplished with simple skills. I can create levels and change your eye positioning with shoulder sits, shoulder stands, preps, and extensions.

Super clean, super solid, and top girls able to have both hands free for motions/signs/crowd leading/etc

Yuuuuuup!

Yuuuuuup!

That reminds me of Kentucky's Wildcat Pyramid where the Wildcat (football and men's basketball games) or Scratch (women's basketball and volleyball games) would go up in an extension prep and would put stunts on both sides of him creating a Christmas Tree pyramid (it's even more exciting at Rupp Arena).

That reminds me of Kentucky's Wildcat Pyramid where the Wildcat (football and men's basketball games) or Scratch (women's basketball and volleyball games) would go up in an extension prep and would put stunts on both sides of him creating a Christmas Tree pyramid (it's even more exciting at Rupp Arena).
Nah, my HS's arena blows Rupp Arena outta the water

Nah, my HS's arena blows Rupp Arena outta the water

LOL!

Scotty, we may have to agree to disagree on this one. I’ve got 20 girls who just got home from getting their opportunity to cheer on Rupp’s floor that would argue too.

We used the same pyramid in our halftime cheer for that reason.

LOL!

Scotty, we may have to agree to disagree on this one. I’ve got 20 girls who just got home from getting their opportunity to cheer on Rupp’s floor that would argue too.

We used the same pyramid in our halftime cheer for that reason.
forgot my /s

But i'll argue Allen Fieldhouse over Rupp all day. No contest there :cool:

forgot my /s

But i'll argue Allen Fieldhouse over Rupp all day. No contest there :cool:

Oh come on, we both know Kansas would have never needed that new arena in the 50’s if Rupp hadn’t been a reserve on their basketball team in the 20’s.

That’s my true Kentucky Blue Blood speaking right there...

Oh come on, we both know Kansas would have never needed that new arena in the 50’s if Rupp hadn’t been a reserve on their basketball team in the 20’s.

That’s my true Kentucky Blue Blood speaking right there...
Hey you respected the coaching/history lines, props. Most uk fans have no idea that Rupp got his bball education at Kansas

Hey you respected the coaching/history lines, props. Most uk fans have no idea that Rupp got his bball education at Kansas

That's because Adolph Rupp played at Kansas and another little known fact: current Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball coach John Calipari was an associate men's basketball coach under Ted Owens and Larry Brown.

Back