All-Star Discuss The Rules: Level 4/5 Standing Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I recall correctly Elaine from WC was in favor of this rule, and her reasons were safety related. She expressed concern that kids on her Senior 5 teams had quit in the past because they feared learning standing to doubles. It was mentioned that athletes seemed to be more likely to throw standing to doubles "short", or 1 3/4, which increases the possibility for injury. A coach (Roger I think?) asked Debbie Love if a standing full punch full was easier than a standing to double and Debbie Love said it depended on the athlete.

Then the discussion quickly went into the level 4 standing tumbling discussion which was just short of watching a Jerry Springer episode.

I would also say NO! My daughter is definitely one of the well conditioned athletes due to cheering on an EXTREMELY competitive High School team as well as all-stars and she has put in work to get her standing to double. She competed 3 to double at 2 competitions her first year at GA Heat and then was not allowed to because she was not always getting all the way around. She was very upset but we just explained that she had to get it with 100% proper form. She did not compete it last year as she was coming off of a broken femur. She is now throwing 2 to double clean and is excited to be able to get to compete it. I would hate to see all the hard work she has put in to get it limited now!

This should be a no! Why are so many people trying to change things that already are. MAYBE.. Why not have to build up creditials to be a level 5 through progression meaning you must have been through 1 year of level 3 one year level 4 be able to perform all level 4 skills,no matter how many years it takes before moving onto level 5 I ve seen so many girls get fulls and dbls while during a level 4 team but yet have very limited range of other level 4 skills.. everyone wants to rush into a level 5. I love level 4 after all " 4 is the new 5" hahaha

IMO this question will be voted down and should be but it puts the issue out there to discuss and I believe that was the intent. Time will pass and at the next meeting in 2 or 3 yrs we will see some real movement made on it. This is the way I see it. We started in All Stars when my cp was 5yrs olds right before the change to the level system. Many of the present Junior and Senior age cheerleaders were influenced by this time of rapid change. A sort of "free love era" if you will in All Stars. Gyms made their names here and set the standards. Prior to the change my cp's Youth team was considered Advanced based on a few kids with running ROBH. When we went to a level system that push was still there for those kids. They were still working advanced skills and there were not many steps before they would be Senior 5. That is also true for the Junior and Senior kids at that time also. It is a new day and the kids coming into cheer now how many levels to progress through before they are Senior 5. There is still the young phenoms but it's not the same. My belief is that by the time rules like this are passed our present tumblers will have aged out or be close to it. It is not in the industries best interest to shut the current tumblers down but in the future they must. And only in doing this will they be able to stress proper progression and technique and have time for conditioning.

I don't see how shutting down capable athletes from doing skills that they can do safely is something that "must" be done. Standing to doubles should be at the coaches' and athletes' discretion IMO. I see no reason to outlaw them in level 5. That is what Open Level 5 (or Restricted Level 5) is for IMO.

I will be voting no as well, however I do see the concerns as to injuries and such. Even if you are property trained and conditioned there are times when you still get HURT, knees are blown out ankles busted up anything can happen at any time, but the same thing can happen while doing a hand full. I also looked at the fact that the want to dumb down level 4 standing tumbling, no whip backs, pikes or layouts only tucks? I dont like it. VOTE NO

I don't want them shut down either. I just think that they are laying the ground work for down the road. That was just my take on what I heard yesterday. Lots of reference to the future and being in it for the long run.

Yes I see the concerns also, but until we fix the problem of having unconditioned athletes, we will never fix the problem by restricting and restricting skills. I know many-a-kid who have hurt themselves doing standing back tucks or coming out of a toe touch wrong on their ankle. Will we now outlaw tucks? Of course not.....so don't outlaw standing to doubles. Instead, develop your athletes for strength and power, but more importantly, for INJURY PREVENTION.

Running your routine full out is not enough. Jumping every practice is not enough. You must condition these kids BEYOND what the routine requires.

I voted no, but if it were separated out I may have voted differently. (if it were just a change to 4 and restricted 5)

the progression from L1 to L5 is spot on:
(walkovers in L1 then single bhs in L2, then jumps to multiples L3, then Tucks and bhs tucks in L4, then anything but twist in L5restricted, then you get to twist in L5) Currently there is a huge jump from L3 doing handsprings to L4 doing whip hand whip hand x-out

But I'm against limiting L5 to singles so I had to vote no

My interpetation would be Level 4 you can now do standing hand to layout. If they lower it 1 level it would then be you can only do hand tuck.

So that would mean Level 4 would be hand to tuck and level 5 would be hand full - where is the progression of learning the next skill needed (layout) in order to progress to a full. You need to perfect your layout (flatboard - not piked) in order to properly learn to twist that layout to a full. Did I explain that right?

thanks for your response and i say vote no it seems strange that they want level 3 to be able to do multiple standings to tuck and limit level 4 to the same skills

thanks for your response and i say vote no it seems strange that they want level 3 to be able to do multiple standings to tuck and limit level 4 to the same skills
You get it in the restricted 5 which would be current level 4 standing rules, but I vote no to taking doubles out of 5

Back