All-Star Discuss Your Usasf Struggles Here

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's also more interesting for the average (see: non-cheer involved) viewer to focus on one or two divisions and see several teams vying for one title. Imagine how confusing it would be to skip around to several divisions. Large, small, coed, all girl, international, etc. Already makes it sound less prestigious and complicated. More teams ups the drama and allows viewers to compare.

It's also more interesting for the average (see: non-cheer involved) viewer to focus on one or two divisions and see several teams vying for one title. Imagine how confusing it would be to skip around to several divisions. Large, small, coed, all girl, international, etc. Already makes it sound less prestigious and complicated. More teams ups the drama and allows viewers to compare.

or only showing the winners... seeing 15 teams named "world champion" makes all of cheerleading look like a joke. I like how NCA has broadcasted in the past with more than one special; one for large teams and one for small/medium. They all get to be showcased, but not at the same time confusing the non-cheer viewer.

While majority of the $$$ from worlds comes from the senior divisions, I'd actually prefer they broadcasted ICU or the international divisions. There are at least Canadian winners now so the name "World Championship" makes sense versus showing 10 teams all from the united states.

I wonder what non cheer people really "see" when they tune in to watch (or end up watching because that's what's on) I wonder if they really care who the winner is or can even follow that there are different divisions being shown. I'd love to do a poll because I suspect all they "see" are "cool flippy things".

I wonder what non cheer people really "see" when they tune in to watch (or end up watching because that's what's on) I wonder if they really care who the winner is or can even follow that there are different divisions being shown. I'd love to do a poll because I suspect all they "see" are "cool flippy things".
I mean, remembering what I can from my time before cheer (which wasn't always filled with much TV), it pretty much was like 'Why is this so intense?' 'How does nobody die?' 'What are those faces?' 'I feel very overwhelmed.'

If I was flipping through channels cp's pre-AS days I would stop and watch. It appealed to me in the same way that skating, artistic gymnastics or dance did. More from the choreographed/artistic/athletic viewpoint and less from the triple salchow or standing full individual skills. ESPN announces the divisions and briefly describes them but, that meant nothing to me at the time. They could have televised level 2 and I would have thought it to be just as entertaining to watch.

My non-cheering football playing nephew has watched it and said "Oh my god auntie I would DIE doing that."

I forced a fellow teacher friend of mine - who doesn't like any sports - to watch NCA's Large divisions with me last weekend and here were some of her more memorable comments:

"There are far too many people on this mat, the fire marshal must be P.O.ed."
"Boys do cheerleading? Where are they getting all these boys? How come our school don't have any boys?"
"I feel like these girls could do all of these same things while wearing more clothing."
"I'm only ok with their name being Top Gun if there's a men's volleyball montage."
"HOW DO THEY NOT HIT EACH OTHER WITH ALL THESE FLIPS?!"
"How come our school doesn't do that thing? Or that? Or that?"
"What do you mean it's an illegal stunt? Is the FBI going to swarm in and take them all to interrogation?"
"Wait this team only has girls? GIRL POWER! Ten points to Gryffindor."
"They're jumping so much. How does it not hurt their boobs?"
"Do they get extra points the sparklier their uniforms are or is that just a personal preference?"
"THEY JUST FELL INTO THE SPLITS WITH PEOPLE HOLDING THEM HOW THE HECK?!"
"Were you ever this good? If you were I have newfound respect for you."
"Hey that girl did a cartwheel. I found something I can do!"
"Oh wait now she's doing flips. I'm out."
"This team is named after a fruit and another team was named after a fierce jungle cat? Someone got the short stick on that deal."
"I don't like sports but I am ok with watching this one."

I forced a fellow teacher friend of mine - who doesn't like any sports - to watch NCA's Large divisions with me last weekend and here were some of her more memorable comments:

"There are far too many people on this mat, the fire marshal must be P.O.ed."
"Boys do cheerleading? Where are they getting all these boys? How come our school don't have any boys?"
"I feel like these girls could do all of these same things while wearing more clothing."
"I'm only ok with their name being Top Gun if there's a men's volleyball montage."
"HOW DO THEY NOT HIT EACH OTHER WITH ALL THESE FLIPS?!"
"How come our school doesn't do that thing? Or that? Or that?"
"What do you mean it's an illegal stunt? Is the FBI going to swarm in and take them all to interrogation?"
"Wait this team only has girls? GIRL POWER! Ten points to Gryffindor."
"They're jumping so much. How does it not hurt their boobs?"
"Do they get extra points the sparklier their uniforms are or is that just a personal preference?"
"THEY JUST FELL INTO THE SPLITS WITH PEOPLE HOLDING THEM HOW THE HECK?!"
"Were you ever this good? If you were I have newfound respect for you."
"Hey that girl did a cartwheel. I found something I can do!"
"Oh wait now she's doing flips. I'm out."
"This team is named after a fruit and another team was named after a fierce jungle cat? Someone got the short stick on that deal."
"I don't like sports but I am ok with watching this one."
Hehehe this made me giggle. Your coworker is funny. His commentary is on point and better than "well when is was in gymnastics, I was out there all by myself."

From my experience watching ESPN with non-cheerleaders, the responses tend to be "wow, it's so much better than Bring It On", and "wow, that tiny girl just did a really cool thing".

I've never had people pick up on different divisions other than the obvious co-Ed vs all girl. Most comments fall in the lines of "wow! She does THAT?!??" " how do they not die!" "Dang! You have to be strong to do that!" Or "yeah, that's not cheer. There are no Pom poms"

Back