All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Actually, I did some research, and last week the primetime average for TLC shows was 962,000 viewers. So doing 1.1 million is a good thing. To drill further - Toddler & Tiaras, which I believe was Cheer Perfection's lead-in, did 1.3 million viewers. So the show held a pretty good chunk of its lead-in's audience, which is a good sign.

Ratings - Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "ESPY Awards" Top Demos, "Royal Pains" Leads Viewers | TheFutonCritic.com

Not casting judgement on the show (I haven't watched the whole thing start-to-finish, just bits and pieces), but it seems like a closer look at the numbers indicates the show did well - by TLC standards - in its timeslot.
It was a first episode. I am curious what the future shows will draw.

All I have to say is... ARKANSAS lol

It's one of the most a$$-backwards places on earth, terrible education system, frighteningly outdated and discriminatory laws..... anytime you wanna secede from the Union, Arkansas, you have my vote!

No person who knows anything about child development, kinesiology, psychology of sports, parenting, business, etc would ever run a program like that.

We're not going to get the real cheer show we all seem to want from TLC. I don't recall what channel Cheer Nation was aired on (I will laugh if it was TLC!) but I think we all agree that it showed you can incorporate reality tv and drama with the true aspects of a top notch cheer program. Now let someone do that with an all star program, and although I think we'd still have plenty of things to talk about, our complaints would not be focused on how the show was reinforcing every negative stereotype that already exists about our sport.
Not sure if anyone answered you yet (I haven't read through the rest of the new posts before replying. Breaking a Fierceboard rule, I know. I apologize :) )but I'm pretty positive Cheerleader Nation was on Lifetime, and so was Jersey Cheer when it was on for those two episodes.

Here's a non-popular opinion....

I feel horrible for the girl with the doctors appointment. A little editing there would've been appropriate rather than putting his comments on blast for the entire world to hear. That was TLCs fault. I also think kids being overweight is more a parental issue than a kids if it's not directly medically related (go ahead and flame for that too) kids only eat what they're parents stock from the store, make for dinner and restaurants they choose. If a family has an unhealthy lifestyle they'll teach it to their kids. That's not the kids fault.

Was her mom overweight? I knew one of them was but I can't remember which. Not sure if I'm the only one, but has anyone ever noticed how almost all the moms on Toddlers & Tiaras are overweight?

I just watched this show start to finish.

Oh. My. God.

For the record, I hate Toddlers & Tiaras, but it's at least funny and over-the-top sometimes. This show was one of the most unlikable hours of television I've seen in a long time, for many of the reasons already discussed:

• It's a nice little program, I guess, but I can't imagine any of their teams would be competitive at an NCA/Jamfest/Cheersport level competition. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but when the owners talk about the gym like it's an elite program that's a big-time credibility fail to anyone who actually knows the sport.
  • I'm not sure how much of this is on the ownership or the coach himself, but let's get real. I cannot imagine in this, or any other universe, pushing a kid who was barely doing back handsprings on a cheese mat a week ago to do one by themselves on the floor. Yes, I know it's tryouts, but if the kid doesn't have the skill without a spot, then they should throw it with a spot and it should be non-negotiable.
  • Yeah, I guess you can argue "creative editing", but there was not a single likable parent on that show. Not one. Whether it's pushy parents (that go way beyond making sure their kids stretch or doing their cheer homework), delusional cheer moms or the ridiculous drama, it was just crazy. And don't get me started about the parents "coaching" their kids in the gym - our coaches get mad when kids come out into the lobby to talk to their parents during a practice. If we walked in and started telling them what to do...
  • This one really bugged me - why were they showing kids throwing layouts and tucks when they're trying out for a youth 2 team. Were these kids 11 and under or just other kids trying out? That was just one example of something on the show that seemed either contrived or an outright misrepresentation.
  • Alisha. You know, I wasn't the biggest Patty Anne (of CJA fame) fan, but she's dealing with a senior level 5 World's team. If you want to be tough on kids that age, then that's one thing. But these are elementary school aged kids. I think you need to handle them differently. And again, you can go to the "creative editing" card and say they only picked the bad stuff to show, but the bad stuff was kinda bad. And yes, I'm talking about pushing a kid who clearly wasn't ready to throw a back handspring by herself to throw one.
The sad thing is that those caught in this mess are the kids, who by and large seem like nice, normal children being pushed by their parents.

P.S. I get at some level why you pick a youth team to follow. Most of the parents are the crazy third/fourth-year parents who haven't mellowed out yet. And when there are multiple youth teams, it's a big deal to make the higher level one. I just lived that drama this year for the first time. But this show made tryouts at our gym look like Sunday school.

It also bothered me that the team placement was based solely on that one tryout. If a kid has been there for at least one season, the coaches should know enough about their work ethic to realize that if they dont work hard or try during the season and then magically throw tumbling at tryouts, they are not to be trusted to continue actually trying. The way I see it, a cheerleader is trying out the whole season. Not on just one day.

I was just informed that CTR''s level 6 team is "awesome" by a private message from someone claiming to be a CTR mom....... As we say down south, BLESS HER HEART. I really can't blame these CTR people. I think they actually think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.. :(

I was just informed that CTR''s level 6 team is "awesome" by a private message from someone claiming to be a CTR mom....... As we say down south, BLESS HER HEART. I really can't blame these CTR people. I think they actually think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.. :(

Well why wouldn't they think that? They don't go to the larger comps and do well at the comps they go too, so of course they are going to believe that. One thing I will say is that Alisha is clearly a business women, that gym looked busy and she also has the pageant side as well. She knows what she is doing in that area or the kids would go elsewhere. Maybe they are the best option for where they live or for what 'those kinda parents' want. It take a special coach to put up with that level of crazy! If they have 4 crazy parents to base this show off of I bet they have more!

Latest posts

Back