All-Star Disrespectful Consequences?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 15, 2017
We have a great bunch of seniors on a normal bases, but we have a few that like to talk back, roll eyes, etc on a weekly basis! I am frustrated to no end! YES, the parents are aware, but also are quick to blame adolescence and "that time of month", I'm sorry but that time of the month is almost every practice!

What consequences does your gym have when the girls are disrespectful and aren't paying attention or listening, or talking back to a coach?

Last edited:
What consequences does your gym have when the girls are disrespectful and aren't paying attention or listening, or talking back to a coach?

We have a great bunch of senior on a normal bases, but we have a few that like to talk back, roll eyes, etc on a weekly basis! I am frustrated to no end! YES, the parents are aware, but also are quick to blame adolescence and "that time of month", I'm sorry but that time of the month is almost every practice!

Do you have any team captains? Athletes who always (or almost always- no one is perfect) set a good example and that the other athletes respect? The behavior you describe isn't acceptable but sometimes they need to hear another voice and hearing one of their peers may be helpful. It may put pressure on the captain(s) but some kids thrive on things like that.

I've seen coaches walk out of practice and say-- "When you're ready, let me know." As a parent who pays to see my kid get coached, that would make me question the behavior of my kid - not the coach. Now, if the coach did this every other practice then I would start wondering if something more was going on.

Perhaps a team meeting with the kids and the parents are in order if it really gets out of hand.

I'm sure our gym has consequences (they can kick them off for certain things) but fortunately, I haven't seen anything come into play yet.

Good luck.

CP's team hasn't had an issue but the Senior team that practices with us - he'll make them do extra conditioning and when it was nice out, they would do sprints up the hill outside the gym.

When enough of them get annoyed with it, they start encouraging each other to do better.

We've tried the above approaches with no changes, the rest of the girls are so frustrated with these ones few too, they are tired of having to do extra becuase of the same girls. They argue with our "captains" and other team members when corrected, they don't take criticism very well--that's the main problem. They think we are "picking" on them. I've explained to them, if they would zip it, it wouldn't keep going on and seem like that, the other girls take the criticism and turn it into a positive, not keep the negativity going.

I personally don't think they are cut out for it and are only in it just to say that they are an "all star" cheerleader :(

Not sure what level you're talking about but perhaps they need to be bumped a level down, with the explanation that you require athletes on your team that have not only the tumbling (or whatever) skills, but also have coachability/maturity.

My high school coach preferred physical punishments ugh. For example, some girls showed up hungover to a Saturday summer practice and the whole team had to run a mile on the track. Some coaches will just walk out which usually got people to shape up.

We've tried the above approaches with no changes, the rest of the girls are so frustrated with these ones few too, they are tired of having to do extra becuase of the same girls. They argue with our "captains" and other team members when corrected, they don't take criticism very well--that's the main probledm. They think we are "picking" on them. I've explained to them, if they would zip it, it wouldn't keep going on and seem like that, the other girls take the criticism and turn it into a positive, not keep the negativity going.

I personally don't think they are cut out for it and are only in it just to say that they are an "all star" cheerleader :(

Do you have access to fill-ins for their position. If so, give a warning, then if it continues, have them sit out and let the replacement/fill-in do their job. It's not a threat, it is so that the other kids can have peace, and still be able to do the routine. The fill in can be from another team just like a guest. Because, the bottom line is, when you get to a certain age, you have to make decisions, and decisions have consequences. The consequences should not be on the kids who are doing the right things. Cheer is too expensive, and you only get to do it for too short a time, for everyone's experience to be ruined by a few.

I work with pre-teens and teenagers and I build in 3 levels to keep them motivated-

1st level - Peer pressure... Everybody all forced to do extra conditioning or running, which often, if there are only a few who habitually disrespectful will feel the wrath from the rest of the team...

2nd level- If the 1st level doesn't work and the disrespectful athletes do not care about the rest of the team-- demerits and these athletes must stay later for extra conditioning and allow the others to leave on time, which the disrespectful athletes will hate and make them solely accounted for their poor behavior...

3rd level - I noticed teenagers thrive when they are given responsibility, put in a Big Sister-Little Sister exchange program and make this team responsible for a Youth/Mini team in the gym.... I noticed teenagers tend to rise to the occasion when must be role models to impressionable youngsters.... just my observation...

Last, provide a reward system on your team and acknowledge positive behaviors...

I work with pre-teens and teenagers and I build in 3 levels to keep them motivated-

1st level - Peer pressure... Everybody all forced to do extra conditioning or running, which often, if there are only a few who habitually disrespectful will feel the wrath from the rest of the team...

2nd level- If the 1st level doesn't work and the disrespectful athletes do not care about the rest of the team-- demerits and these athletes must stay later for extra conditioning and allow the others to leave on time, which the disrespectful athletes will hate and make them solely accounted for their poor behavior...

3rd level - I noticed teenagers thrive when they are given responsibility, put in a Big Sister-Little Sister exchange program and make this team responsible for a Youth/Mini team in the gym.... I noticed teenagers tend to rise to the occasion when must be role models to impressionable youngsters.... just my observation...

Last, provide a reward system on your team and acknowledge positive behaviors...

Yes.

Be as positive as possible.

Kids respond when we recognize the good.

Even if Kelsey rolls eyes 99 times, you celebrate the one time she rolls up mats without complaining.

I love this! I would add, keep calm. Do not take it personally, as teens like to test the fences. Whatever method you choose to exert your authority and change the behaviors, remember that you are their mentor and all eyes are on you. They will follow your lead. Don't get angry; be honest, clear, fair and consistent with your methods and intentions. Come from a place of love and the desire to teach life skills.

Good luck!

Last edited:
This can end up hurting the athletes who always do the right thing.

I disagree,,, if a reward system is put in place to recognize positive behaviors first, those athletes who are always doing the right things will be recognized and justly rewarded... I often observe that athletes who always doing good, somehow feel better when the often disrespectful athletes positive behaviors are recognized and sometime, will come to me to tell me what so and so did, when no one was watching...Peer buddy is an excellent motivator too.

I disagree,,, if a reward system is put in place to recognize positive behaviors first, those athletes who are always doing the right things will be recognized and justly rewarded... I often observe that athletes who always doing good, somehow feel better when the often disrespectful athletes positive behaviors are recognized and sometime, will come to me to tell me what so and so did, when no one was watching...Peer buddy is an excellent motivator too.

But, human nature is not to do that. If someone always does the right thing it tends to be expected that they will, and recognizing that falls by the wayside. It takes a LOT of vigilance on the part of a coach not to let that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the psych-101 course I did in college: positive reinforcement is usually more powerful than punishment, especially in children.

If you constantly give negative consequences for any kind of bad behavior, it's true that kids will eventually learn not to do those things. And doling out a healthy dose of push-ups for misbehaving is sure to help train 'em. But what is even better is rewarding positive behavior when it comes.

So if Susie complains constantly, and you're always telling her to drop and give you five, you do need to really reward her when she finally does something right. Otherwise she'll just get used to the push-ups, her arms will get hella strong, but she won't really learn what kind of behavior you expect from her. It's not going to disadvantage the kids that always behave well, as long as you're consistent in your punishments and rewards.

Back