All-Star Division I And Division Ii At Worlds - Big Gym Separation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@RulesGuy

It's certainly an interesting proposal. You've made it very clear that you are in the beginning stages of working out the details, so if you don't have an answer to my question at this point I completely understand:

I am curious, what types of things are you considering in the decision of where to set the number for classifying the "small" gyms?

Because then what happens if the small gym. Or DII small senior division only had one small gym get a worlds bid do they automatically win ? When a small senior DI division has 6 gyms competing and the team in last place out scored the dII team . I know I'm not explaining this as well as I'm thinking it I just can't think of how to type what I'm thinking I hope that kind of makes sense

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think it's a great idea for the long term growth of the industry. Right now, no matter what people seem to think, a brand new, no-name gym could not realistically create a worlds team and win worlds. People are picking up their lives and moving to big gyms to win because there are only a handful of places that can compete. If we continue on this path, eventually the only gyms around will be mega gyms that win worlds. This creates opportunity for growth, and allows teams to compete.
Do I think it lessens the prestige of worlds? No. Like King said about football, nobody will confuse the two. But this may allow new gyms and new teams that are continually on the brink of success but lose all those kids to mega gyms (that may not even be in the same state) to continue to build their program. I can't see how this is a bad thing for our industry at all, I just can't. If anything, it's what our industry needs to continue to grow.

And if they don't increase the number of bids allowed at worlds then they could be taking bids away from high talented division 1 teams that should be goin to worlds and giving it to a division 2 teams because they are a small gym and should get a chance

No know that sounds kinda rude but its just my opinion. Please don't take it personal :)

On a further idea what if only small divisions were D2. And all large gyms had to go medium and large. That be interesting.
I agree (in regards to your earlier post) about only having the differing divisions in small coed/small all girl. Those have the most gyms and are where it's needed most - small gyms are more likely to have a small team than medium or large. So yes. I don't know that medium needs it right now...
But I think forcing large gyms to go medium/large would mean overlap would start happening with the large gyms. Gyms like Cheer Athletics (in all senior divisions except small), Cali (in all sr divisions except LAG), CEA (idk all their worlds teams off the top of my head), etc, would run out of divisions, if they continue to grow. So they either start turning away level 5 athletes (boo) or create multiple teams in the same division.

And if they don't increase the number of bids allowed at worlds then they could be taking bids away from high talented division 1 teams that should be goin to worlds and giving it to a division 2 teams because they are a small gym and should get a chance

No know that sounds kinda rude but its just my opinion. Please don't take it personal :)

I think you are confused. Nothing has been said about the bid process changing. As far as we know, bids will be given in the same way they always have been. The proposal is for separating teams into divisions at Worlds. Considering there were 80+ teams in small divisions this year I wouldn't worry about only one DII small senior or small coed team getting a bid.

I guess this would depend on whether the gym makes a proclaims their intention before bids are awarded and what the bid award process is. Sometimes it is judges choice and other times it is based on pure performance. Will the divisions be divided at bid comps? I can see this being a slippery slope.

Perhaps all teams receiving a paid bid should be required to go D1, and at-larges could have a choice? If you have the skill to get a paid bid, I'd say you are most likely talented enough to run with the "big dogs."

Would separating D1 and D2 eliminate the prelim round? Especially if you're potentially cutting the division in half.

I'm going to stick with the "College Football" theme I've been using just for ease of conversation. When App State won the NCAA Div I FCS Championship, I am sure thay were proud to be the National Champion and I am sure no one confused them with LSU for the College Football National Championship. What I am saying is - YES - people will recognize that Div II is just that - Div II. And that's OK.

Yes App State was happy they won and they should be. And no one confused them with Alabama (can't remember when it was LSU last win). :)

But one reason there is a difference is that the venues where they win are different. Winning in Pasadena or New Orleans is not given the same prestige as winning in Frisco TX or Chattanooga TN.

So you need to decide if you want Worlds to be the best or not.

The Fierce Board! Home of the cool people since 2009!

I like the idea that Small Gyms can chose to be in D1 or D2. It doesn't seem right that a team that can hang with the big gyms and medal in D1 doesn't have the chance to because they qualify for D2.
On the other hand if all the world champion worthy D2 teams move up to D1 then what are we left with in D2? An World Championship gold for Janky One Full Allstars?
Doesn't seem very prestigious to me.

This idea, as all do, very much has pros and cons.

Back