OT Diy Haircut? Am I Crazy?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

SLM

Cheer Parent
Dec 19, 2012
Soooo, my hair is about 6 inches too long right now. I have always been intrigued by the plethora of youtube videos showing people cutting their own hair using the ponytail method.

I figure my hair is long enough to try it and if I screw up I can just go get more chopped off at a salon no harm no foul. But yet, there is still that voice in my head saying "are you crazy!"

Anyone ever DIY a haircut? Did it go OK or was it a disaster?

I do this all the time! I have a ton of hair that grows really fast. It seems like it gets down to the middle of my back in no time.

I will say this - I have coarse hair with a lot of texture so if it's not totally even it doesn't really show. I can't vouch for results if you have really straight fine hair.

I used to trim my bangs myself and they looked great. I also let my cousin cut my hair when I was 14...I cried and refused to go to school for two days until my mom found someone to do extensions. So I'd say DIY haircuts are a 50/50 chance.

It's hair. If it gets messed up, it'll always grow back.

Give it a shot. You might find you have a talent for it.

I think I'm going to take the plunge this evening. I'll report back after.

One time my roommate facetimed her friend and tried to cut her own bangs. It ended with tears.

One time my roommate facetimed her friend and tried to cut her own bangs. It ended with tears.
oh no!
I tried cutting my bangs once in 7th grade....yeah, it was not a good idea and I looked like dork in the era of big bangs secured in place by a can of Aqua Net daily.

It went surprisingly well. I parted my hair down the middle and pulled it to two ponytails in front and cut them straight across then went in with the point of the scissors snipping to soften the edge. Then I took them out and then put just the hair from the front of my ears forward into a pony at the center of my forehead and cut and then took that out and shortened just the front part so it was layered around my face but not the back.

I took about 3 inches off the back and about 6 off the very front. I would do it again it went so well.

It went surprisingly well. I parted my hair down the middle and pulled it to two ponytails in front and cut them straight across then went in with the point of the scissors snipping to soften the edge. Then I took them out and then put just the hair from the front of my ears forward into a pony at the center of my forehead and cut and then took that out and shortened just the front part so it was layered around my face but not the back.

I took about 3 inches off the back and about 6 off the very front. I would do it again it went so well.
Cool! I'm glad it went well. Sounds simple enough. Now if I just had enough hair for ponytails. ;-)

Back