All-Star Do As Programs Reuse Unis?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
If so, how often? Or do you have to personally buy a new uni each year/whenever it's required?

I'm asking because my HS program is considering making a transition to an AS-style uniform soon. The catch: we're a public school and cannot charge for uniforms; we have to provide or "loan" them. The girls buy their own "personal items" -- bras, briefs, socks, shoes, etc. -- but we reuse the same vests, skirts, liners, dresses, etc. for about five years or so.

So anyway, when we make our change I wanted to go in the direction of a bodysuit. But the bodysuit, because of how it's worn, might fall into the "personal item" category and I don't want to charge my families too much. So going back to my first question about if/how an AS program reuses, how do they handle bodysuits? Do they charge families for bodysuits or can you slap a brief on underneath and try to reuse the following year? Would that be gross? I literally only have experience with skirts and sweaters so the style/fabric/design of bodysuits is new to me.

Thanks so much everyone.

At most gyms (there are a few exceptions), the athletes buy their uniforms. They belong to them in its entirety. Most gyms get new uniforms every few (2-3) years.

If so, how often? Or do you have to personally buy a new uni each year/whenever it's required?

I'm asking because my HS program is considering making a transition to an AS-style uniform soon. The catch: we're a public school and cannot charge for uniforms; we have to provide or "loan" them. The girls buy their own "personal items" -- bras, briefs, socks, shoes, etc. -- but we reuse the same vests, skirts, liners, dresses, etc. for about five years or so.

So anyway, when we make our change I wanted to go in the direction of a bodysuit. But the bodysuit, because of how it's worn, might fall into the "personal item" category and I don't want to charge my families too much. So going back to my first question about if/how an AS program reuses, how do they handle bodysuits? Do they charge families for bodysuits or can you slap a brief on underneath and try to reuse the following year? Would that be gross? I literally only have experience with skirts and sweaters so the style/fabric/design of bodysuits is new to me.

Thanks so much everyone.

Do you want a leotard type uniform? We have an all star style and the briefs are sewn into the skirt. Our kids purchase their own uniforms, and then some choose to sell to or buy from others. They can easily wear shorts under the briefs, and many do. Ours is a full top though, and not leotard. I wasn't messing with that during a game.

Do you want a leotard type uniform? We have an all star style and the briefs are sewn into the skirt. Our kids purchase their own uniforms, and then some choose to sell to or buy from others. They can easily wear shorts under the briefs, and many do. Ours is a full top though, and not leotard. I wasn't messing with that during a game.

Yeah for the comp uniforms I want the elongated, streamlined look that a bodysuit creates when worn with a skirt/short. But that would make it a leotard essentially, which they would be required to buy (the dancers are required to buy their leotards, so the same rule will apply to us as well even though ours would be more expensive). I see that Varsity has some separate cami/brief options that might be more affordable but I’m not crazy about their designs.

And now that I’m thinking about it, they’d also have to buy any bra that goes underneath to complete the look. So I think I’ve just talked myself out of the idea lol.

Side question: do you do personalised embroidery on uniforms or anything? If so, do you run it by the parents to see if they’re interested in paying for that or do you just tell them that’s how it’s going to be? Obviously because we reuse uniforms we can’t personalise them, but I was curious about seeing if the parents would be interested in buying their kids’ warmups so we could pursue it as an option on those. Just trying to figure out a tactful way of saying, “Money please!”

Our gyms typically uses unis 2 years. We are getting 3 out of this current one.

Our school comp team athletes buy their unis. They got new ones this year. They are the AS style. Our spirit team rents them. V got new ones 2 years ago and JV got new ones last year.

Our Full travel teams buy their uniforms, but our Cheerabilities team has a set that the gym owns that are loaned out. They’re an “All Star Prep”Varsity design with bodysuit/skirt. The girls have a practice outfit (tank or sports bra and spanx) that they wear under the uniform.

At our gym I buy CP’s uniform but she wears it for two years. Last year there was some trading on tops done since some of the girls had outgrown their tops. Their bottoms are plan black in stock shorts which were cheap to reorder (I want to say I paid $25 last year to order new shorts since she had outgrown hers) This is a new uniform year so I tried to order her top with it in mind she would be wearing it for two years.

My old gym used to rent uniforms. I wasn't a fan of it because I always ended up with something that didn't fit properly and had to get it changed or adjusted. College and current Allstar team are buy your own. College team has the uniform for a period of 3 years - they are entering their second with the current uniform. My current gym got their new ones last year and may be changing them after this season, so I'm buying one that has been sold back to the gym (and you get this at a cheaper price).

My old gym used to rent uniforms. I wasn't a fan of it because I always ended up with something that didn't fit properly and had to get it changed or adjusted. College and current Allstar team are buy your own. College team has the uniform for a period of 3 years - they are entering their second with the current uniform. My current gym got their new ones last year and may be changing them after this season, so I'm buying one that has been sold back to the gym (and you get this at a cheaper price).

I’m not a fan of renting either but it’s literally the law in CA ever since some family sued their school for charging too much and ruined it for everybody. Now we have to provide uniforms and pay for comp/camp fees through the program. And technically, comps and camps are optional. Fortunately our V team is serious enough that they treat these things like they’re mandatory.

And yeah, loaning uniforms means that nobody really gets a perfect fit. But our girls usually fall within the same size range year after year. Still, if we get a super tall/short outlier, that’s another few hundred bucks out the door for a new uni.

I’m not a fan of renting either but it’s literally the law in CA ever since some family sued their school for charging too much and ruined it for everybody. Now we have to provide uniforms and pay for comp/camp fees through the program. And technically, comps and camps are optional. Fortunately our V team is serious enough that they treat these things like they’re mandatory.

And yeah, loaning uniforms means that nobody really gets a perfect fit. But our girls usually fall within the same size range year after year. Still, if we get a super tall/short outlier, that’s another few hundred bucks out the door for a new uni.

Yeah for the comp uniforms I want the elongated, streamlined look that a bodysuit creates when worn with a skirt/short. But that would make it a leotard essentially, which they would be required to buy (the dancers are required to buy their leotards, so the same rule will apply to us as well even though ours would be more expensive). I see that Varsity has some separate cami/brief options that might be more affordable but I’m not crazy about their designs.

And now that I’m thinking about it, they’d also have to buy any bra that goes underneath to complete the look. So I think I’ve just talked myself out of the idea lol.

Side question: do you do personalised embroidery on uniforms or anything? If so, do you run it by the parents to see if they’re interested in paying for that or do you just tell them that’s how it’s going to be? Obviously because we reuse uniforms we can’t personalise them, but I was curious about seeing if the parents would be interested in buying their kids’ warmups so we could pursue it as an option on those. Just trying to figure out a tactful way of saying, “Money please!”

I prefer the look of a bodysuit, and the school buys the comp uniforms so this is what we did to keep it as cost effective as possible...
The school bought actual crop tops and the skirt with built in brief, and the girls buy the "crossover" bodysuit liner that goes underneath the crop making it a full top. Bling/customization of the bodysuit will ofc bring prices up. You can get motionflex skirts without the brief, but sometimes the shape is a little off and you'd have to wear spanx under the bodysuit- and that would look silly if it was contrasting colors.

My athletes are more comfortable in them because their tops don't ride up, they appear to fit better than a traditional top, and appear to be more forgiving as far as sizing goes. 10/10 recommend.

Our crop doesn't show any back so we don't have to be concerned about bras. Their dance team uniform has an open back, but they have a sports bra they have for practice/camp wear that they use for their uniform.

As far as embroidery goes, we always give the option for personalized warmups. Our school "rents" out warmups and uniforms, but we always give an option for them to order new if they wanted to pay. We get new uniforms every 4-5 years.

If you want something personalized, you can always do it on the sports bra that they have to buy anyway. So many uniforms have open back designs, and you could stick a name or year on the sports bra portion that shows. We have a triangle cut out and a specific sports bra that shows, and would be able to throw something on there if we wanted. Just an option for you.

I would have them purchase nude leotards or slips to wear underneath the bodysuit. That way the personal item is far cheaper than a uniform, and it is generic. Reuse the body suits year to year with professional dry cleaning before passing it off to the next athlete.

@Sterling von Shimmer Cp's HS owned the uniforms and they were handed out each year as are the uniforms for every other school sport. They currently wear more fitted Varsity ones, long sleeved, with built in briefs for the bottom.

Back