All-Star Do We Have To Sacrifice Certain Parts Of Cheer To Become More Accepted By Society?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46469
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 46469

I love cheer. I love the athleticism it requires. While at the same time I love girly parts of cheer. I can't imagine cheer without bows and makeup.

Do you think we can become more respected and taken seriously as a sport without sacrificing things that make cheer cheer?

I love cheer. I love the athleticism it requires. While at the same time I love girly parts of cheer. I can't imagine cheer without bows and makeup.

Do you think we can become more respected and taken seriously as a sport without sacrificing things that make cheer cheer?
The things we'd have to sacrifice aren't even really sacrifices, nor do they "make cheer cheer":

-over-the-top, inappropriate choreography and sexual voiceovers in music (nobody wants to see raunch or hear about cheergasms and O-faces; though the 'big O' voiceover is one I personally have no issue w/ as it's merely a team nickname, and one that I'd rather see used than, say, Sexy 6)

-poorly executed skills (which contribute to the image of cheer as something uncontrolled and dangerous)

-ridiculous uniforms (appropriate length skorts/shorts/skirts with crops of full tops are one thing, creativity and a healthy amount of glitz is one thing, but the monstrosities we've seen birthed over the past few seasons are another), hair that's jacked to Jesus (a decent tease is one thing, the beachball tease is quite another)

-excessively heavy makeup (I get stage makeup, but I've seen some ridiculous looks, though nowaday makeup seems a bit better than it was in the early to mid 2000s.... remember glitter lips and eyes? Though I can't stand today's obsession with super-heavy fake lashes (most people don't know how to pick them correctly, butterfly is NOT for everyone))

To be honest, lots of people are hypocrites; they'll claim that cheer isn't athletic because of one thing, but then turn around and praise the athleticism of a sport that has that same thing. Example:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not exactly sure how this post got to be so long LOL, but I hope it helped.

The things we'd have to sacrifice aren't even really sacrifices, nor do they "make cheer cheer":

-over-the-top, inappropriate choreography and sexual voiceovers in music (nobody wants to see raunch or hear about cheergasms and O-faces; though the 'big O' voiceover is one I personally have no issue w/ as it's merely a team nickname, and one that I'd rather see used than, say, Sexy 6)

-poorly executed skills (which contribute to the image of cheer as something uncontrolled and dangerous)

-ridiculous uniforms (appropriate length skorts/shorts/skirts with crops of full tops are one thing, creativity and a healthy amount of glitz is one thing, but the monstrosities we've seen birthed over the past few seasons are another), hair that's jacked to Jesus (a decent tease is one thing, the beachball tease is quite another)

-excessively heavy makeup (I get stage makeup, but I've seen some ridiculous looks, though nowaday makeup seems a bit better than it was in the early to mid 2000s.... remember glitter lips and eyes? Though I can't stand today's obsession with super-heavy fake lashes (most people don't know how to pick them correctly, butterfly is NOT for everyone))

To be honest, lots of people are hypocrites; they'll claim that cheer isn't athletic because of one thing, but then turn around and praise the athleticism of a sport that has that same thing. Example:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with everything you have said. I think we are overdoing it with the hair and makeup. Do you think excessive makeup can affect performance?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything you have said. I think we are overdoing it with the hair and makeup. Do you think excessive makeup can affect performance?
In what way? Like, improve scores? Or give an athlete the confidence to perform more exactly and with more intensity?

I don't really think it would be a sacrifice to give up the over-the-top costumes and make-up. There should be nothing wrong with a simplistic, athletic uniform with maybe a little sparkle, a simple ponytail and a bow...but that isn't what All-Star Cheerleading has turned into.

Also, cheerleading has too many types to generalize it, imo. Everything I just listed already happens at the national team, college and school level (middle/high) so all of that exists. It just doesn't exist in All-Star Cheerleading.

I don't really think it would be a sacrifice to give up the over-the-top costumes and make-up. There should be nothing wrong with a simplistic, athletic uniform with maybe a little sparkle, a simple ponytail and a bow...but that isn't what All-Star Cheerleading has turned into.

Also, cheerleading has too many types to generalize it, imo. Everything I just listed already happens at the national team, college and school level (middle/high) so all of that exists. It just doesn't exist in All-Star Cheerleading.

You couldn't walk into a collegiate tryout with AS make up. Almost every school I've ever looked at for cheer has used the "heavy natural" description for game day. Because you're on TV and the main purpose is to lead the crowd. The make up is to add to the appeal. I would never want to go cheer without a full face because it's bland. AS is all about the performance aspect of the sport. The make up, the hair, the uniform, it adds to the routine. You wouldn't go see a musical with no hair and makeup because it's boring without the 'wow' factor. As an athlete getting pretty fueled my confidence, I became a diff person. Especially when I was younger and didn't wear make up on the reg, and even now as my cheer make up is nothing like what I'd wear to class.

Short answer...probably not. As much as we love the pageant aspect of cheer, THAT is what makes people put it in the same box as glitz pageants. Yes, field hockey wears skirts but they don't partner it with teased hair and more makeup then Rupaul...just saying.

Interesting topic. Girls just can't win. Too much makeup. Too plain. Hair too big. Hair too short, not feminine enough. It's like they have to achieve this perfect balance of makeup, but not too much, athletic but not "sexy", and so on. I don't think I have seen too much glitz at cheer comps. I have seen great athletes with warrior paint and killer bows ready to slay!

Think like an "outsider." The minute you say "cheerleading" what do they think of? Sideline cheer and NFL cheerleaders. I don't know the solution, but this is the biggest issue IMO. The misconception of the sport due to preconceived notions about the name. Most people who don't take the sport seriously have no clue about the uniforms or music or choreo or anything. They just think sideline or NFL cheer.

I'm not a fan of the makeup or the hair of the glitz and glam of our sport but I understand it's our "culture."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want respect for the sport, it has to be televised with GREAT commentary. People believe what they see..... at this point the general public has no idea what All Star cheer is except what the hear usually from people who are putting it down. Get these routines out to the masses and have a commentator who touts the athleticism of our athletes and what they do and doesn't comment on the uniforms, makeup etc. and people will start to respect these incredible kids.

As much as we love the pageant aspect of cheer, THAT is what makes people put it in the same box as glitz pageants.
Perhaps....but I somewhat disagree with the premise in that I don't think people from outside of cheer even see all that glitz.When I see a video on tv or even on youtube the athletes appear much "tamer" compared with how they look in person. I mean my own 11 year old daughter looks ridiculous in person with her fake eyelashes and overly-teased hair but she pops and looks great from a far. Of course they appear different from college cheerleaders even on tv, but I don't know if a home viewer has the framework that we all do from walking around comps and seeing big bows, big hair, lots of sequins, too much makeup etc. en masse.

Maybe the change needs to happen from within.... I think part of the negativity is a culture that does not value girls. Girls can be athletic and like makeup and bows. (And boys too!) They are not mutually exclusive. Think about great Native American warriors, and other warriors, who wear headdresses and face paint to make themselves look and feel powerful. I think makeup and bows are no different. I for one will not put down the sport by hemming and hawing about the makeup and bows. Just my thoughts! I'm always open to others opinions!

"Why is the sexualization of girls necessary?" is one of the most common questions when it comes to pageants, dance, entertainment and cheer. Teased hair, spray tans, lashes, over the top make up and glitzy/skimpy costumes are very much a part of the pageant, dance, and entertainment industry where huge pressure is put on young girls to not only perform flawlessly but, to look flawless, as well. The irony is the USASF has tried to minimize the sexualization in AS and it is the gym owners, coaches, parents and athletes that push back. People say they want girls recognized for their athleticism, talents and intellect but, there is a lot of truth behind encouraging sex appeal when they feel talent, personality or intellect is lacking. It has never been a mystery as to why many girls and women lack self esteem and have body image issues, we just choose to ignore the reasons.

This ^^^^^ The huge ponies are seriously distracting. Sometimes I can't focus on the stunting for staring at the huge phony ponies especially on the minis. Remember this show called the Oblongs? I swear they look just like the "Bettys" :jawdrop:

i completely agree with everything.... BUT, i'd say the only thing that could help us as a sport would be the poorly educated skills.
although, majority of the time people see cheer (at least one social media) it's a big name team so it's usually as clean as it can get)

Back